What type of stainless, please?

NealB

Visit site
I was planning on mounting my 'new' sheet winches (Lewmar 43 STs) using 'stainless' bolts, which are about £0.50 each.

Someone suggested that I should use 'marine' stainless (I guess 316). These would be around £12.00 each.

I'm open to persuasion: all thoughts welcome.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I was planning on mounting my 'new' sheet winches (Lewmar 43 STs) using 'stainless' bolts, which are about £0.50 each.

Someone suggested that I should use 'marine' stainless (I guess 316). These would be around £12.00 each.

What size are the bolts Neal ? £12 sounds like a lot of money.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Last edited:

NealB

Visit site
A4 80 if you can get it in the head shape you need. You may need countersunk which could limit your choice.

This kind of thing if a hex head needed...

https://www.accu.co.uk/metric-hexagon-bolts/615973-SEB-M12-60-A4-80

Accu have pretty much every format and head shape available in small retail purchase numbers.
These were the buggars that got my B.P. soaring: https://www.accu.co.uk/countersunk-socket-head-screws/5712-SSK-M10-160-A4?uk_google_shopping=1&c=3

But, as noted in #4, I don't need M10 anyway.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site

I think I'd steer clear of a retailer selling 'marine', maybe 316 stainless 10 or 12mm bolts at stg12 each, should not be each - but 'ouch'!

Jonathan

NealB

Visit site
M8 sounds skinny for 43s. They can take an enormous load.
Huge thanks.

M8's are what held the old Barient 24s, but, you're right, the Barients were mounted with six screws, against just five in the Lewmars.

I'll go up to M10s (edit: asssuming the holes in the winch base will take M10s. I'll have a look this afternoon).

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
Whatever you choose, put some anti seize lubricant on first...newly made stainless bolts can gall....in effect weld themselves before they are fully seated...then life as you know it ends, while you spend all your time figuring out how to remove them

NealB

Visit site
Whatever you choose, put some anti seize lubricant on first...newly made stainless bolts can gall....in effect weld themselves before they are fully seated...then life as you know it ends, while you spend all your time figuring out how to remove them
Thank you: been through that several times over the years, on various boats.

So far, no such problems with the current boat (owned since 2017). There .... that's blown it!

D1bram

Visit site
Westfield fastners are my usual supplier of choice. I'd tend to go A4 / 316. You'd probably be ok with A2 in that location but I usually just go A4 anyway.