What to wear when cruising ?

G

Why do Musto Gill etc not make a designer boiler suit ?

It seems to me that if you have a mooring and anchor a fair bit , in our climes a cotton breathable boiler suit makes sense.

Francis Cooke who wrote about cruising in the thirties recommended a grey serge suit to avoid salt stains.

Leaving apart the designer sailing gear, what do you find practical to wear that does not cost a fortune ?

G

...and plenty of bulls**t factor 16? :)

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

G

I do actually wear a light coloured, short sleeve boilersuit.
It is cool in summer, offers some sun protection and more importantly is comfortable. Supplied by Dickies - industrial clothing manufacturer.

However, my sartorial aspirations have been described by a youg crew as those " of a sad muppet".

robp

Visit site
Jeans and a Tee shirt. When the sun starts to sink beyond the thingy, a rather fetching old designer sweatshirt with a couple of red wine stains down the front.. When going ashore, I might even brush the barnet and change into slightly less creased jeans!

G

I find one must always keep your station and never be shown up by your crew. I always wear white flannels and a navy topcoat, I find that it pays to have the crew iron me a clean shirt for every watch. Make sure that ones tie is straight and for this I have a mirror on the starboard side of the binnacle.
If my boater goes over I throw a crew after it, this keeps them awake

G

Best boating gear I've ever used is a full boiler suit. Warm, no snaggy bits pockets and any colour you want.

G

We were sharing a guest mooring one night with a large yacht. In the wee small hours, when the tide turned, something went wrong with its lines and we were woken by the sounds of panic. When we came up on deck we saw 5 elderly gents dashing about in matching pyjamas! We had to go below to recover.

Rabbie

Visit site
As I've stated several times before on this forum, a jock-strap and cricket-pads take some beating. Certainly gets you noticed anyway. Rab.