What to do with old rope?

lumphammer

Visit site
I like to replace my running rigging before it starts to fall apart, so even though it is old it still looks usable for something. Consequently I now have 'hundreds' of yards of old rope cluttering up the place that I do not have the heart to throw away.
Should I just bite the bullet and get rid of it, or is there any potential for recycling?

prv

Visit site
I know what you mean, I have three crates of unused rope in my shed. Part of it was an existing old rope collection that came with our first boat (owner giving up sailing) but I've since added quite a bit of my own.

I'm hanging onto mine, but if you want rid then perhaps eBay? I'm not aware of any recycling scheme, but old rope is almost endlessly useful.

Pete

prv

Visit site
You could try selling it. If successful, the proceeds would be money for old rope.;)

If you put up the long lengths (old halyards etc) as individual hanks with a measured length, and the shorter ones in lots with a photo of what's in each, with no reserve, I can't imagine it not selling on eBay.

Money for old rope indeed :)

Pete

lw395

Visit site
Old halyards and such make OK mooring ropes for smaller boats.
I 'lent' some old lengths to a school and never got them back.
I saw a dog being led on a length of well used Marlow Excel Racing Dyneema the other day.

Spyro

Visit site
Old halyards and such make OK mooring ropes for smaller boats.
I 'lent' some old lengths to a school and never got them back.
I saw a dog being led on a length of well used Marlow Excel Racing Dyneema the other day.
Opposite ends of the scale there. One should stretch the other shouldn't but yes many a good length I've had out of the skip. :)

Toutvabien

Visit site
I know what you mean, I have three crates of unused rope in my shed. Part of it was an existing old rope collection that came with our first boat (owner giving up sailing) but I've since added quite a bit of my own.

I'm hanging onto mine, but if you want rid then perhaps eBay? I'm not aware of any recycling scheme, but old rope is almost endlessly useful.

Pete

All old rope has to do a lengthy apprenticeship, to be served either in an inaccessible locker on the boat or in a garden shed, before it can be disposed off. I am told that it is possible to undertake a two stage apprenticeship with the first four years being served aboard ship followed by a further three years ashore in a shed or garage.

Cathy*

Visit site
Probably doesn’t look quite as nice in faded UV-damaged red-and-white-fleck polyester braid :p

Pete
All of the rope used by Afrayedknot is recycled. Some of it has been on the sea bed for years. These guys from Ghost fishing have been clearing discarded and lost nets and other rubbish from the wrecks in Scapa which is used to make mats in Orkney. The team in this country are also starting to clear nets and creels around the UK. It's a huge task which will never be completed but at least some animals are being rescued. All of the divers are volunteers. They pay for hiring of boats and have to buy a licence to do the work. http://www.ghostfishing.org/uk/

Halo

Visit site
Opposite ends of the scale there. One should stretch the other shouldn't but yes many a good length I've had out of the skip. :)

+1. Don’t use old haliards as mooring lines if you are leaving the boat. My last boat was damaged by the snatch as she pitched and rolled whilst on a pontoon in a storm when I was using ex haliard lines. Use something with a little give !

In response to the OP I would say liberate yourself and chuck it !

Ric

Visit site
Donate it to a local fisherman so they can use it to attach an old plastic bottle to their lobster pots :)