What to do when you have gas...

ninky

Visit site
Not that sort, on the boat I mean. When I take charge of my new boat this weekend it will be the first time we will have had a 'proper' galley with gas. I am a bit paranoid about it as I still remember watching an episode of casualty in which a gas leak caused an explosion on a boat, horrific injuries etc etc. OH says I am being oversensitive and that it is madness to take out the perfectly functional gas hob to replace with spirit burner. Will I just get used to it? The gas bottle is located in a very well vented 'locker' on the cockpit. There is also a shut off valve under the hob itself. Have heard it is possible to get alarm fitted. Is this a good idea / effective safety measure? Being a shallow draft cat there is not exactly a great deal of bilge area for gas to sink and build up in.

Nicola

boaterbaz

With the singing potatoes and a mexican midget
Visit site
Thousands use a gas installation with no problems at all. Close shut off valves when not using burners, check flame failure device is working ok etc. Everything will be fine. Failing that that wear a parachute so the return to earth post explosion wont hurt so much. Gas detector(s) a must.

ostell

Visit site
I have this installed. I have one of those installed. One sensor low down in the engine bay, the lowest point, another under the hob.

There was an article in PBO a couple of months ago about building your own gas detector.

As long as the locker is ventilated and the cockpit drains are not below water level then everything should be OK. Check the hoses are in date, why not replace anyway so that you will feel happier. Always turn off the gas at the bottle after use. I really don't fancy a spirit burner after seeing one in use.

Last edited:

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
Gas is extremely convenient to use, which is why so many cruising boats have it. You must stick to the discipline of always switching the gas on and off at the bottle either manually or via a solenoid at the bottle and a switch in the galley. When switching off I always close the gas bottle valve and wait for the flame to go out, then switch off the burners.
You can get gas detectors, either handheld or fixed but I've never used one.
In 6 years living aboard and many years of weekend cruising with gas as the cooking method I've never had any kind of accident, and I never met anyone who has.

D

Deleted member 36384

My routine: -

1. I always switch the gas off at the bottle when not in use because I do not have a solonoid type shut off valve. I do have a valve at the cooker which I also turn off because its there.
2. When I visit the yacht I open up the yacht, sniff about and give the bilge pump about a 1 minutes pump before I switch on the electricity.

When I bought the yacht the gas hoses were new. Check yours as they should be the approved type with printed details on the hose which will include an expiry date. Change the hose if it has expired or is cracked. Visually check the gas pipe which is likely to be copper between the bottle hose and cooker hose. It should have no obvious kinks and be protected where it runs over or passes through bulkheads or shelves. Check the gas locker does not vent into the boat. If it does, then it's not the end of the world as you now know about it. I would buy some soapy bubble spray and test each new bottle that is connected to make sure that there is no leakage from the bottle fittings, even when the bottle is switched off. If you have a gas locker that drains overboard, don't bother. If your cooker does not have flame failure devices, many don't, then just apply common sense and monitor the cooking - spills could extinguish a flame - don't bugger off to the pub while the stew simmers! Use a gas detector as others have said.

Gas is clean, convenient and safe if you apply common sense and monitor the system and understand the layout of your installation and the condition it is in. Today it is possible to install a gas system that has all sorts of safety features or just a simple gas bottle to regulator to cooker system. If you have any doubts as to the condition of the pipe and hoses, have them changed. You can pay qualified marine gas fitters to test your system e.g. http://www.gas-safe-marine.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 36384

Your well vented locker in the cockpit, if it vents into the cockpit sole, then you could have gas build up in the cockpit well which may or may not cascade down a hatch or any opening in the cockpit (I have a window in my cockpit well). It should vent overboard, out the back of an open transom or a dedicated vent outlet from the gas locker overboard. Understand your system and the risks, manage them and you will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnGC

Visit site
Turn the gas off immediately you have finished with it. Do this at the bottle in the gas locker.

We have a short length of line attached to the gas locker lid (inside); when the gas is turned on we pull the line outside the locker lid so that it can be seen in the cockpit - IE it acts as a tell-tail.

xeitosaphil

Visit site
I have used gas in the last two boats for the last 15 years no probs what so ever. Always turn of the gas when not in use with isolator at the cooker area, and when leaving the boat I always light a ring on the cooker, then turn the gas valve off at the bottle in the cockpit thereby burning all the gas off in the line.
It seems a faff but not at all, and I feel re-assured knowing that there is no gas left in the line to escape.
On return to the boat, first check you have turned off all the cooker controls prior to leaving. I have a simple gas leak/ fuel gauge which tells me the amount of gas left in the bottle and also if there is any leak in the system, but other more sophisticated ones are available if you feel the need.
As said locker needs to be vented above water and hoses need to be in date.
There is also a vetus gas monitor fitted with a sensor in the deepest part of the bilge which is also re-assuring.

Just enjoy the convenience of it, and adopt a good routine with isolation.

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
We have an electrically operated gas valve at the bottle and the standard shut-off switch close to the hob itself. We keep both off except when using the hob and as soon as the taps on the hob are turned off we turn off both the standard valve and the electrical valve. If I leave the boat for long periods I also shut the bottle valve too of course.

We have a Pilot dual-channel gas alarm. One sensor is in the blilge, though not so deep that it will get wet, and the other is directly under the hob. The only problem with this is that almost any pressurised can (SWMBO's hairspray is the worst) will set the alarm off. False alarms are better than no alarm though. :)

Burnham Bob

Visit site
Another vote for gas being safe. Just turn it off at the bottle. The leak detector is belt and braces but if you feel better then install one. I have a hand held detector similar to this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1908...ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=83&ff19=0

when I remember I sweep the cabin and the bilges (gas sinks as its heavier than air and if you get it in the bilges you can clear it with the hand pump)

never had a leak or even a whiff of gas - which is why i tested the detector to make sure it was working!

JomsViking

Visit site
Heeding the advice given in the posts ^ gas will be as safe or safer than spirits. Having litres of a highly flammable liquid lying around in the boat is a pretty bad idea IMnsHO

BAtoo

Visit site
30yrs of using gas on board with never a problem.
Turn off at bottle when leaving boat & shut isolator.
Check the venting is clear and runs outboard.
Check the piping is sound, the rubber bits free of cracks or replace.
Check the flame-failure devises work ok.
I have never had a gas detector. :eek:
My isolator is adjacent to the cooker in a cupboard & I tend to turn that off at night & leave the bottle on :eek:

xeitosaphil

Visit site
Heeding the advice given in the posts ^ gas will be as safe or safer than spirits. Having litres of a highly flammable liquid lying around in the boat is a pretty bad idea IMnsHO

+1 Having had a friend that was filling his cooker with spirit in a seaway, and over filled it, which was left undetected when lighting his stove resulted in a fire which burnt out his whole cabin and him being advised by CG to take to the life raft.

A bit extreme by comparison but not unheard of. ( fires that is)

Gas and Spirit stoves both have dedicated followers, and these things are really down to the person’s ability to adapt good working routines in both cases, assuming they are set up and maintained properly both can be safe and easy to use.

It’s really down to your own personal choice.

Spi D

Visit site
Rules and regulations apply.

Supposedly a new boat is compliant with eg. flame sensors and proper tubes (not hoses) where applicable.

The bubbly leak detector is nice to have. Not too expensive, easy install and gives Peace of mind although a passive device.

rob2

Visit site
Another vote in favour of gas cooking. Many safety features such as flame detectors have been introduced over the years, but the fist line of defence is a good level of maintenance and good operating procedures. It should be a part of your annual schedule to inspect the installation, replacing flexible hoses as necessary, the recommendation is every five years, looking for chafe and distortion to the pipes and general condition of the regulator.

My own preference is to keep it simple, so electric cut-off solenoids are an uneccessary complication. I simply turn off both the isolator by the stove and the gas bottle when the system is not in use. In that way, only the volume of gas in the pipe could leak out (usually a safe concentration in the saloon), but you don't have to wait for it to refill when lighting the stove! Checking the valves are off is also part of the routine when boarding and leaving the boat.

Rob.

prv

Visit site
Spirit cookers are slower than gas (ie, the flame is cooler) so you'll be waiting a long time for a cup of tea. I can't imagine the oven working particularly well (I know they do exist) and a grill must be right out. So it will limit your cooking options. I would not consider one for a moment.

As others have said, check the gas installation is properly done and in good condition - have a marine gas fitter come and inspect it if it will help your peace of mind. It's then up to you how paranoid you wish to be in daily use (turning off at the bottle after every use, etc). Personally, I turn the bottle on when arriving at the boat and off when I leave, but turn on and off the stop-tap under the cooker between each use, which seems a reasonable compromise between safety and convenience. We have a gas alarm at sole level under the galley, which I have tested by puffing an unlit blowtorch at it.

The vast majority of yachts have gas cookers - some unfortunately with neglected systems that are well below current standards. Yet even those hardly ever explode, let alone the properly installed and maintained ones like yours will be. The writers of Casualty just had to think of an interesting way to injure people for their characters to fix! I seem to remember one years ago where an old lady was watering her pot plants and spilled some into the telly, which later shorted out and caught fire, burning her house down. Doesn't mean I immediately got rid of my telly!

Pete

JomsViking

Visit site
Spirit cookers are slower than gas (ie, the flame is cooler) so you'll be waiting a long time for a cup of tea. I can't imagine the oven working particularly well (I know they do exist) and a grill must be right out. So it will limit your cooking options. I would not consider one for a moment.

As others have said, check the gas installation is properly done and in good condition - have a marine gas fitter come and inspect it if it will help your peace of mind. It's then up to you how paranoid you wish to be in daily use (turning off at the bottle after every use, etc). Personally, I turn the bottle on when arriving at the boat and off when I leave, but turn on and off the stop-tap under the cooker between each use, which seems a reasonable compromise between safety and convenience. We have a gas alarm at sole level under the galley, which I have tested by puffing an unlit blowtorch at it.

The vast majority of yachts have gas cookers - some unfortunately with neglected systems that are well below current standards. Yet even those hardly ever explode, let alone the properly installed and maintained ones like yours will be. The writers of Casualty just had to think of an interesting way to injure people for their characters to fix! I seem to remember one years ago where an old lady was watering her pot plants and spilled some into the telly, which later shorted out and caught fire, burning her house down. Doesn't mean I immediately got rid of my telly!

Pete

Removed the Origo and replaced with gas in an earlier boat as I was living aboard and wanted an oven + reasonable cooking times.

...But You've stopped watering your pot plants??