What reefs should I put in for 250mph gusts?

newtothis

Visit site
We all think our own boat is great but i think most recognise that we have chosen what is great for us whereas others will argue that their chosen money disposal unit was best in all circumstances. but then realise nothing surpasses an Anderson 22.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Good to see the Andersen 22 hasn't been forgotten, wasn't there a rumour that Ineos were looking for one to replace their current Americas Cup yacht?
I heard that too ... apparently they bought one and modified it with some foils. First time they raised the spinnaker it took off and the crew fell off the back ... rumour has it it is currently circling the southern ocean doing an average speed of 55 knots .... @Portofino from the dark side has been dispatched in his Itama to try and catch it.

Kelpie

Visit site
Meanwhile, at the other end of the scale, the Mirror Offshore is considering putting in a reef when the gusts hit 250mph...

• Haha
Reactions: jac

johnalison

Visit site
My policy when faced with such a wind would not be reefing or even use of a trisail but lowering the mast. This might present something of a challenge in the middle of the ocean but you never know, undoing the bottlescrews and a lot of adrenalin might do it (who am I kidding?). I recall that R H Dana recorded his ship taking down the topmasts before rounding the Horn, which is part-way there.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
My policy when faced with such a wind would not be reefing or even use of a trisail but lowering the mast. This might present something of a challenge in the middle of the ocean but you never know, undoing the bottlescrews and a lot of adrenalin might do it (who am I kidding?). I recall that R H Dana recorded his ship taking down the topmasts before rounding the Horn, which is part-way there.
Yes, but lowering topmasts was a usual exercise on that kind of rig; it was designed so the topmast could be lowered vertically parallel to the mainmast, using a rope attached to the heel of the mast. No problems with losing mechanical advantage until the heel of the mast was on deck, and then it could be lowered using a line from the head of the lower mast. So no mechanical problems as we do when lowering masts using the forestay.

Of course, doing it with the minimal crew of a commercial vessel was a different kettle of fish to doing it on a vastly over-manned warship, where speed in evolutions like that was regarded as the mark of a "smart ship"

MisterBaxter

Visit site
The problem.with lowering a mast at sea is that the boat then has a great deal.less roll inertia, and thrashes about uncontrollably.
That's one of the problems, anyway...

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Yes, but lowering topmasts was a usual exercise on that kind of rig; it was designed so the topmast could be lowered vertically parallel to the mainmast, using a rope attached to the heel of the mast. No problems with losing mechanical advantage until the heel of the mast was on deck, and then it could be lowered using a line from the head of the lower mast. So no mechanical problems as we do when lowering masts using the forestay.

Of course, doing it with the minimal crew of a commercial vessel was a different kettle of fish to doing it on a vastly over-manned warship, where speed in evolutions like that was regarded as the mark of a "smart ship"
When conditions get so bad that it would be a distinct advantage to lower the top mast, no way am I going up on deck. And certainly no way am I going to be messing around up the mast trying to dislodge the top mast from its support to lower it.

I will be battening down all the hatches and hiding in the basement.

dancrane

Visit site
I suppose if, when the 200-knot wind hits, you could arrange to be aboard an Anderson 22 at low tide in the soft mud of a drying harbour (somewhere like Emsworth, perhaps), you might be a lot safer than amid the likely mass destruction of property on shore. ;)

Seven Spades

Visit site
Seriously 200knots must be terrifying as it woudl simply lift the surface of the sea off the water. You could not stand up in it a baot with a mast woudl be on its side and I can't imagine any anchors holding.