What new fridge

beluga

Visit site
We need to upgrade our 18 year old fridge. It's struggling to keep our beers cold in the Med! The current fridge is a fridgoboat, which is fine up to 25 degrees but uses a lot of power. I have added to the insulation, which helps. Any suggestions for an efficient power friendly system. Thanks and a merry Christmas to all.

alf1

Visit site
Is this a thermo electric fridge or does it have a compressor.If it is the former changing to a compression type will save a lot of power

trouville

N/A
Visit site
arnt domestic fridges compressor fridges??If so why are compressor fridges for boats so expensive? I saw an offer for a wacco 115 liter fridge with danfoss compressor reduced from £625 to £240 on "ionics" brokerage site yesterday (hes posts hear ofter)

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Some 3-way caravan type fridges, mains electric, 12vDC and gas - also fitted to boats, and my mates powerboat - have an evaporative system with no compressor. Not so efficient as compressor fridges, and like to be on even keel at all times - hence caravan use.

If he has a compressor type fridge, it may just need re-gassing. Under gassed and they are not efficient, and keep on working to try to cool. Mind you, it needs to be a non-ozone depleting gas to get it re-gassed, although there are those who work outside the law who will re-gas.

alf1

Visit site
The cost is in the 12v compressor .A bare comp for replacement list price 250 pounds.A 240v comp. of similar capacity 80 pounds

alf1

Visit site
On the question of regassing r22 is still legal .Though r12 is now banned.Changing to a drop in refrigerant is fairly straight forward.Though a more expensive

trouville

N/A
Visit site
why are some compressors said to be better than others ie danfoss?Is the Isotherm compressor an isotherm one or made by another manufacturer? Isothermes seem very good and not "to" expensive?

Why are the wacco friges when full price so expensive?
Haveing seen some being sold in a stock clearance im sure dealers get a 300% mark up? given that most of the other items i could by for less at full price else where.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Virtually all of them use the Danfoss compressor unit. Not absolutely certain of Isotherm, although I think they do. Waeco certainly do.

So to answer the question, firstly make sure the condenser is working well, add a couple of computer fans after ensuring that the airflow is good and works well with convection flow.

Ensure the insulation is as good as possible, add more if necessaryand feasible.

Then consider buying a Danfoss compressor unit as a replacement, which is more efficient than older equivalents.

trouville

N/A
Visit site
Any suggestions as to a supplier? Are there specalist suppliers? On line? Just to get an idea of price and size of box the compressor will cool and holding plates?

On another boat i froze my holdingplate when the engine driven compressor kept cooling becose the thermostat wasent working,it swelled up and pulled its scrwes out, carried on workong though

beluga

Visit site
Thanks for your response the fridge is compressor driven and does work ok and would be fine for most of the time in the uk. However in the med its not so good. I guess i will have to get a new compressor and plate kit. I am told they are much more efficient then the older ones. I'll look for a boat show offer. Happy new year and thanks.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
There's a good deal of information at http://compressors.danfoss.com/ including contact addresses in various countries. Most chandlers seem to sell these units but you might do better in a local refrigeration/air conditioning retailer.

I use a Waeco 80 litre fridge modified by having a Danfoss water cooled compressor unit. We run sea water through it with an old domestic water pump. It works very well in the Med, on about 30% of the time and quite economical on electricity. The pump tends to foul up and needs cleaning about 2 or 3 times per season but it's a small price to pay for such good performance.

trouville

N/A
Visit site
Thanks!Its hard without somesort of fridge as things go off so fast!The great thing with the "unit" fridge is that it can be fitted in any well insulated self made or bought "box" or locker.

Im wondering where i should put my 85w BP solar panel!!I had thought i would manage with two 20w panels and no fridge!!!

I did try the "flower pots" "pottery" one for the food then sand then an outside one,the sand holds the water and evaporates cooling the inner pot!! But there to heavy have to stay in the sun and too small to keep more than milk yougrt and some meat/ sausage/cheese cool (one not all!!)

colin_jones

Visit site
Wait until London Boat Show.

In order to execute a huge order from USA, Waeco have just built a new factory in China. This has enabled them to reduce all UK prices by about 30% and to improve the quality of engineering ... computer drilled and cut etc instead of done by hand.

The new models will be on show at LIBS, when the new prices will also be announced.

The new range with improved freezer compartment, door and defrosting is well worth looking at.