What marinas (other than MDL at Woolverstone) have no lift-out service?

PhilS

Woodbridge, Sail from River Orwell on East Coast
Visit site
MDL's Woolverstone marina has just announced that it is stopping the boat lift out service. Are there any other marinas with more than 300 berths that don't offer this service? It seems fundamental to keeping a boat.
"After much consideration by myself and the MDL Board we have therefore taken the decision not to offer a boatyard service at Woolverstone Marina and the boatyard will be closing this winter. "

prv

Visit site
Town Quay and Ocean Village in Southampton don’t do lift-outs, as they have no yard space ashore. I don’t remember seeing a yard at Royal Clarence either.

We don’t put the boat up on bricks for months out of every year - you can get some nice weather for short trips even in January and February - but just do short lifts for a wash off and anode check in Spring and Autumn. If there’s another marina or yard in the area which offers this service then the absence of yard space at the home location needn’t be a problem.

Pete

pvb

Visit site
As I recall, Weymouth Marina has no lift-out facility.

The traditional routine of taking the boat out of the water for the winter is dying out. In most marinas, the berths are relatively sheltered and boats are, if anything, safer in the water than on hard standing. Modern antifouls also last longer, so there's less reason to lift annually. I lift my boat for a week or so in the summer, once every 2 years. It's much cheaper in the summer, and the weather is much nicer for polishing and painting.

PhilS

Woodbridge, Sail from River Orwell on East Coast
Visit site
Being at Woolverstone, I feel slightly reassured that other marinas don't have a lift-out. I was worried that it was the beginning of the end for the marina. The dredging is overdue, but hopefully MDL will keep on with the marina and not just rely on the holiday chalets for their income.
It can't be good for the engine service and repair contractor.

Vicarage

Visit site
Neither of the Torbay MDLs (Brixham and Torquay) have lifts/yards.

I'm fairly sure the same goes for Poole Quay Boat Haven & Port of Poole Marina, and Port Pendennis in Falmouth off the top of my head.

lustyd

Visit site
Haslar + East Cowes?
Haslar does have a lift out facility, just not boatyard. The sealift now belongs to the marina group and will be painted green this winter accordingly.

We don’t put the boat up on bricks for months out of every year
Completely agree with this. Seems to me that a lot of people like to make their maintenance as miserable as possible during the cold months without even the reward of a trip out to compensate! January is my favourite month on the boat with crisp mornings and blue skies aplenty. Granted I don't go as far, but it would be a shame if the boat were in the carpark!

Leighb

Visit site
As I recall, Weymouth Marina has no lift-out facility.

The traditional routine of taking the boat out of the water for the winter is dying out. In most marinas, the berths are relatively sheltered and boats are, if anything, safer in the water than on hard standing. Modern antifouls also last longer, so there's less reason to lift annually. I lift my boat for a week or so in the summer, once every 2 years. It's much cheaper in the summer, and the weather is much nicer for polishing and painting.
You do still need a lift out facility to do your maintenance even if it is only every two years. Also emergencies do occur which require a lift. MDL are saying that there will be NO lift out facility at Woolverstone, so all their berth holders will have to go elsewhere.

Moodysailor

Visit site
Our boat is at Noss marina on the Dart, and has been for many years, before we owned her. Noss hasn't been able to lift our boat ever as far as I know, as the lift was only for much lighter vessels.

It's no issue lifting at a nearby facility for us, we are also in the group that keeps the boat in year-round and prefer to do maintenance when it's warmer out.

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
Neither of the Torbay MDLs (Brixham and Torquay) have lifts/yards.

I'm fairly sure the same goes for Poole Quay Boat Haven & Port of Poole Marina, and Port Pendennis in Falmouth off the top of my head.
Brixham and Torquay both use Dartside quay at Galmpton on the river Dart, which also belongs to the MDL group. Travel hoist and a large yard with several contractors on site.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I'm surprised that so many people are content with this development. To keep your boat in good condition you need to be able to get it out of the water at regular intervals and also in an emergency. If other marinas decide to save the cost of operating a hoist and sell off their boatyard then eventually it will become impossible to maintain a boat.

Remember, "First they came for the Gypsies, ---".

lustyd

Visit site
I think you're missing the fact that as boatyards and lifts become more rare their value (and price) goes up. That creates a business case to make new boatyards. It is absolutely insane from a business perspective to house a boatyard and lift at a suitable location for a marina. That space is too valuable as a marina and drystack. A boatyard doesn't need much protected berthing in the water, it just needs somewhere to lift a boat and some land on which to place it. There are loads of other suitable locations, and I'm certain these will start to be used as marina space is clawed back. Such a change might also see more full service boatyards pop up where a single business is able to do rigging, painting, lifting and electrics. When using marina facilities it's all too common for the boat owner to have to project manage multiple tradespeople while also somehow guessing at a launch date to book a lift in!

ribdriver

Visit site
It's quite interesting if you go to Holland....some boat storage facilities not on the waterside but a little way away, some on industrial estates/ business parks etc. Quite often using public slipways...eg no marina immediately adjacent. I know of one that takes up to 60T IIRC boats on the dual carriageway for a short distance on the appropriate hydraulic trailer.

Rappey

Visit site
Marinas are there to make money. If their yard facilities fail to generate a good profit then why would they keep them? The land surrounding a marina is far more profitable by building on it.
Many shop around boatyards for a good haulout deal anyway ?

Blueboatman

Visit site
What we want are houses . Shore to shore houses, shoreside houses, floating houses , immobile houses, sometimes mobile houses , mobile housing parks , stack ‘em high houses, condo, studio, apartment , wall to wall, floor to sky ‘ see view’ houses …..
That should sort the works out for the next 20 years until the next lot of babies grow up and want… more housing ?
Put all those pesky boaty bits round the back on trailers in some brownfield industrial estate and try not to make a noise or spray water about there’s a good chap and don’t work antisocial hours or -goodness- when the tide is right ?

Waterside activity ?? Economic activity ?? I don’t think so

More breeding boxes and latte outlets

Tongue in cheek ? I wish !