What makes the hatch acrylic go crazed?

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
I am thinking of getting new hatches (long story). Mine are from 2001 and severely crazed. Here in the Med I see lots of lots of yachts with fabric covers over their hatches. Do fabric covers really works in preventing the acrylic going crazy? Is it the UV that does the damage or the heat or a combination of the two? Is fabric sufficient? I also wonder about more modern boats with flush hatches how they would keep protection in place

TS

Sianna

Visit site
UV causes the problem, you can replace just the acrylic, my brother replaced 5 of his using Eagle Boat Windows:

Boat window & hatch refurbishment | Eagle Boat Windows | England

Apparently they were very easy to replace, on the acrylic, usually under the rubber gasket there is a serial number which Eagle can match to pre drill hinge holes / handle holes etc. The hardest job was cleaning the frame once the acrylic came out, but all materials needed, acrylic, adhesive etc were supplied for around £100 per hatch

I'm just about to replace my acrylic on my lewmar 44 as mine is a 2003 boat that only been in the UK and is still very crazed.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
UV causes the problem, you can replace just the acrylic, my brother replaced 5 of his using Eagle Boat Windows:

Boat window & hatch refurbishment | Eagle Boat Windows | England

Apparently they were very easy to replace, on the acrylic, usually under the rubber gasket there is a serial number which Eagle can match to pre drill hinge holes / handle holes etc. The hardest job was cleaning the frame once the acrylic came out, but all materials needed, acrylic, adhesive etc were supplied for around £100 per hatch

I'm just about to replace my acrylic on my lewmar 44 as mine is a 2003 boat that only been in the UK and is still very crazed.
I had a seal on one hatch replaced last summer. Nightmare getting the frame off the seal. The screws that hold the frame connected had corroded into the frame and had to be drilled out. Then a new plate fashioned to take new screws.
As with all things on an older boat, not as straight forwards as I initially thought. Oh and it still leaked in the next rain storm.
TS

europe172

Visit site
I am thinking of getting new hatches (long story). Mine are from 2001 and severely crazed. Here in the Med I see lots of lots of yachts with fabric covers over their hatches. Do fabric covers really works in preventing the acrylic going crazy? Is it the UV that does the damage or the heat or a combination of the two? Is fabric sufficient? I also wonder about more modern boats with flush hatches how they would keep protection in place

TS
I believe cast acrylic is less sensitive to uv than rolled acrylic, if specifying new hatches go for cast

Neeves

Visit site
We made covers for all the windows on Josepheline. Not to reduce UV damage but simply to reduce the impact of sunlight, reduce the brightness and heat.

We did not have crazing but windows cracked (after 25 years)

We know of one catamaran, again in Australia, owner built that had no saloon windows (for the same reason) reduce brightness and heat.

I don't know what SNADS are :( - press studs or sail track (plastic) works very well.

Jonathan