what kind of wood

Forbsie

Visit site
I bought a 26' butt of larch from a place in Yorkshire. Can't remember the name but can find it if necessary.

What size and how much do you need?

Transcur

Visit site
How much larch are you after? Before you buy do check to see what timber it is. It would be a pity to put in larch if it was something different originally.

Headbone

Visit site
If you have trouble finding Larch, you might try Googling some of the estate sawmills.

In passing, my first reaction was that your 'mystery' timber is Larch. If you are lucky enough to get a sawmill worker to look at it, perhaps you might ask them to confirm that it is definitely not Pitch Pine.

Apologies for what is probably a most unhelpful reply.

tidclacy

Visit site
Thanks for your input everybody. Don't need a lot just about a metre to do some scarf repairs. Could it be Pitch pine?, did you have a look at the photos Pete?

donncha

Visit site
Pitch pine smells different when cut to Larch, if you have a scrap lying around it might be worth your while cutting or burning a little bit, if it gives off a strong distinct smell it could well be pitch pine.

Forbsie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your input everybody. Don't need a lot just about a metre to do some scarf repairs. Could it be Pitch pine?, did you have a look at the photos Pete?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it does end up being larch, I have a piece on my foredeck (about 6'x2') that you would be welcome to.