What kind of boat is this?

justanothersailboat

Visit site
IMG_20240726_160642_971~2.jpg
Saw this yesterday. Photo doesn't quite show just how much the top of the topsides curves in, which is a lot - the whole white part is pretty much a quarter circle in cross section on each side. Then there are wide side decks and a narrow, low coachroof. Definitely not your run of the mill boat shape. Unlikely to please the same people. I'm not sure what to make of it myself, though do think it attractive in a certain way.

Any idea what these are called?

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, a Fairey Atalanta with a windscreen and little doghouse added. Did some sailing on one in the early 1980s. Nice once it got going and the boards dropped but an even worse nightmare at low speeds under motor with the boards up than my Eventide. No steerage and an even more dodgy engine (Ford 100E) that only ran it felt like it not when you wanted.

Wansworth

Visit site
Yes, a Fairey Atalanta with a windscreen and little doghouse added. Did some sailing on one in the early 1980s. Nice once it got going and the boards dropped but an even worse nightmare at low speeds under motor with the boards up than my Eventide. No steerage and an even more dodgy engine (Ford 100E) that only ran it felt like it not when you wanted.
Classic boating 😂

Tranona

Visit site
Don't think Uffa Fox would appreciate the use of the word "classic". The design of the hull was anything but "traditional" and the keel arrangement was drawn from aircraft undercarriage design. so perhaps a "classic" example of off beat over engineering. My views perhaps coloured by helping the owner rebuild the massive winding structures that dominated the cabin!

Wansworth

Visit site
Don't think Uffa Fox would appreciate the use of the word "classic". The design of the hull was anything but "traditional" and the keel arrangement was drawn from aircraft undercarriage design. so perhaps a "classic" example of off beat over engineering. My views perhaps coloured by helping the owner rebuild the massive winding structures that dominated the cabin!
In regard to the engine,although take yourpointaboutthe design

Other threads that may be of interest