What is a "proper" boat?

G

What is a \"proper\" boat?

Does it have to be made of ex trees and have a lump of wood flapping around at the top of the sail? Or can it be made of plastic and have a star made from a pencil lead?

If I knew I wouldn't be asking

:)-{)>

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Re: What is a \"proper\" boat?

In our marina there's a thing floating next to a pontoon what looks like a two storey refrigerator with what could be a pointy end (can't be sure - but it has got a proper little shiny white grp staircase at the other end). Made by Kelvinator I shouldn't wonder.
That's got to be at the far end of the spectrum that has A Proper Boat at the other.
Hasn't it?
Mind you, my nephews (on a recent visit) thought it was really cool.
Must be a fridge then.

What about sliding patio doors?
Are they allowable on boats as well as bungalows?

~:)

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Re: What is a "proper" boat?

The 'proper boat' rule is a personal one. If it looks like a proper boat to you, then it is.

For me a proper sailing boat can be anything from a Thames sailing barge to Volvo 60.

Unproper includes anything designed as a family cruiser which is unkind to its crew in a seaway and half a gale. In one fell swoop, that means that any cruisers built by Beneateau, Jenneau, Dehler, Dufour, Bavaria, etc in the last fifteen years are improper.

For motor boats I have different criteria because I know nothing much about them. Any one of: noisy, smokey, lots of chrome, funny shaped windows (not round or rectangular), too white and shiny to look at on a sunny day, patio doors, flying bridge, no bulwarks – means improper. This leaves precious few proper motor boats around but I do include RIBS as proper if they have a spare engine.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: French Windows!!

Proper boats of whatever type are boats that are capable of
doing whatever they were designed to do.
Mines got french windows but then its still quite happy doing twenty odd knotts with a following F7. Thats proper.
Its got a fly bridge. So you can see where yer going over big lumps of sea and in tight marinas. Thats sensible.
It's got two engines so if one breaks. It will still be home for tea!!
It can do a walts or a foxtrot within its own length. Thats impresive!!
And its still doing 10 knots through all the overfalls you can chuck at it. So thats ok!!
Its got smoke incase yer deaf and big loud engines if yer not!!
Suppose the only unproper looking boat is a life boat.
Its got no sails and Its painted a daft orange colour too!
Oh!! and the french windows. Thats so I can fit my head out!!

Haydn

G

Does it float. Is it safe, Is it fun? So then it's a proper boat.

G

Anything that floats and preferably doesn't leak<s>

G

It seems to me that a "proper" boat is the one that one owns as well as others like it. I own a coastal cruiser, definitely not a blue water boat. To some eyes, mine isn't a "proper" boat. To my eyes, it's a "proper" boat for sailing the sheltered waters of Long Island Sound with my wife. It would definitely not be a "proper" boat to go offshore, but is "proper" for my purposes.

What seems more important to me is that we sail whatever we own and not turn into dock potatos.