What has happened to the boat market?

Refueler

Visit site
Well I used to pay £350 for my berthing on the Hamble and happy with that. Then it went to 450, and I was not so keen. Now it’s 600 and no thanks. I’m currently paying a massive 170 inc my lift in and out which is nice and my mooring on the Hamble will be 60 a month. I suppose cost of living has meant it’s more difficult but I don’t think I’d survive without a boat to keep me sane if there is such a thing.

To the op take boat where your going on a temp mooring and enjoy it. Then your get buyers!!

Steveeasy

I tend to agree ... moving away from the Solentesque sort area to more reasonable - I would move boat and see what happens ...

SimonD

Visit site
As others have said, not a lot wrong with the boat and, with a bit of effort, it would be very presentable. However, you're not selling a boat (and certainly not one "you've never heard of") you're selling a dream. Something potential buyers can see themselves sailing into the sunset, anchored in Studland, sipping a G&T away from the crowds etc. In other words, "Sell the sizzle not the steak". The pictures don't do that and the copy certainly doesn't. So, some hopefully helpful suggestions:

First, the pictures. Those on the water are great; have you get any more? Ditch the picture of the toilet; it's truly horrible. The white finish in the cabin looks good but needs finishing. I suggest you cover the bare ply on the cabin sides with white self adhesive vinyl. Cheaply available on eBay. Carpet the cabin floor. Get rid of everything that isn't fixed down. If money permits, put some seat pads in the cockpit. That would give a nice finish (letting buyers see themselves lounging in the cockpit, not sitting on a bit of ply). Take everything out of the gally and finish the bare ply.

Second, the copy. Just remove any words that are not selling the dream. For example, few buyers dream of a cast iron keel that weighs 1177kg. Also, take out the negative language, eg. "not new, but in good condition" and "fairly old but adequate". You actually have a comprehensive set of good quality sails to cover all conditions and a full set of instrumentation. Make the most of the positives. For example, you have a full survey carried out only two years ago that gave the boat a clean bill of health and peace of mind for the next owner. Finally, take out the detail. No-one wants to read a list of work the boat has needed (it just illustrates how much work a boat can need). Just say that it's been meticulously maintained and upgraded with new upholstery and up to date cabin lining.

Hope that helps. She's a lovely boat that deserves to be sold for a decent price (whatever that is!)

steveeasy

Visit site
1710542312608.png
Look at the cockpit.

Thats a great film with some real emotional music. How did you fly that drone between the mast and the forestay, you were not in the cockpit. Weve pulled the advert apart and told you your boat is not wanted and I really dont know why. Your buyer will be a sailor already and he will want to know all the details you provided. How many of us have looked at the add and thought, I wish mine was in such good order when I bought it. I did.

Still think people dont see your boat for sale. So how about a simple idea. list it on facebook, but list it as perfect (whatever feet) sailboat. or just something that someone would search for. I am tempted to suggest you put it on a mooring on the Hamble with a for sale on it. sailing club notice boards. what about a share with someone where your moving too.

If someone buys here for a tad below your asking price they will get a cracking little sailboat. what more could a man wish for.

Steveeasy

Attachments

• 1710542312260.png
    1710542312260.png
    1 MB · Views: 4

srm

Visit site
As one of the contributors to this thread I would like to distance myself from some of @steveeasy comments above. For the sake of clarity, as it's a long thread, I was mainly discussing the question "what has happened to the yacht market?". Only one of my posts was a critique of the ad. It was the presentation and sales blurb I felt could be greatly improved. At no point did I criticise the boat other than a comment that the internal fabric was not to everyone's taste. I agree that the boat would be a good buy for the right person, the problem is attracting that person to the boat in what is currently a very flat market at the lower end.

Geoff A

Visit site
There is a well known broker that has two particular boats on its books I have looked at one boat in person with a view to buying even though I think the asking price is was way too much. The second boat I have only looked at the photos on their web site and they do not encourage me to want to even take the trouble to go and view. The first boat a late 1960s 29ft long keeler on first impressions looked very tired was dirty, I found mould when I looked behind the grp head lining around the hull and deck join. It had twin doors for the entrance from the cockpit to the companionway steps that were loose and practically falling off at the hinges. It has been on their listings for a long time with no price drop. As I have said my opinion is the asking price is way over the top. The second boat that is on their website has only been on a few day, it is a fin keel with skeg mid 1980s, and looks to have a reasonable sail wardrobe. The internal photos seem to show a boat with mould over all of the internal mouldings head furniture and a rusty looking engine. the add says the engine was running and looked after by the owner. I am not going to name the broker as I do not think that would be the right thing to do. What I do think is the broker is not doing their good name any favours by even listing these boats.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Its not a Brokers job to 'clean' a boat - but his sales text should reflect current condition. There is a 'franchise' brokerage that takes a lot of effort to photo as much as possible - leaving text to just be an addendum. Many of the entries appear to be well presented BY THE BROKERS effort to photo so much. The same cannot be said of the sellers themselves - a number falling into Geoff A findings.

I know a couple of Brokers who will go on board and do a tidy .. put stuff away .. brush up a bit .. maybe put something presentable on the table ... tidy up lines outside .. but its not their job to husband a boat - its sellers.

V1701

Visit site
At the "lower end" I've bought 5 boats & sold them on always privately, all were really quite enjoyable by which I mean I got to know the owners to varying degrees, some quite well, got good handovers, help getting launched, etc. and I hope that was also the case for the buyers I sold them on to. Much better than the one experience I had buying from a broker, which isn't to say all brokers are bad because they're not.
Sounds like the OP is doing the right thing by increasing exposure, I for one would much rather buy a boat directly from the owner...

Refueler

Visit site
I have only bought one boat through Broker ... and he proved to be one of the most 'uninterested' people in the whole matter I have ever met. He gave me the sales print-out and that was about it. When I asked any question - his reply was "go have a look" .....

Lucky for him - the boat was one I was specifically interested in and the seller was nice guy - spent a lot of time showing everything .....

dancrane

Visit site
Without specific reference to anybody's comments here, I find it interesting what people think about photos in yacht adverts.

When very few or no photos are offered, the seller sometimes seems to believe that anyone looking at the marque or class in question, already knows what it looks like and won't be helped or encouraged by photos of the vessel for sale. Aside from the question of visible condition, it amazes me that anyone could be so indifferent to the interest and visual appeal of their own example, that they aren't prepared to take advantage of the opportunity to show it.

It may be assumed that enthusiastic buyers are more readily turned off by images of a boat in poor condition than by no photos at all, but the same people will be equally repelled by the reality, if they arrange to come and look. When photos are so easy to take and add to advertisements at reasonable cost, it does imply there's a good reason why, if there aren't any...

...but I still think a stubborn proportion of sellers simply can't be bothered to take photos or don't think there's any need. Can it be just tight-fistedness?

As to the filthy neglected condition of many yachts' interiors, Refueler is right that it's scarcely the broker's job to clean things up, unless that has been agreed. It's always remarkable to me how witless sellers seem to be, who photograph a quarter-berth cluttered with discarded garments, old rope and deck gear, not to show off all the kit the boat is sold with, but just because it didn't cross their minds to clear the space.

Quite a lot of the least appealing pics must be of boats whose owners have long since been physically unable to put in the maintenance required. Very sad, but at least there's a reason and usually such examples are significantly reduced in price.

The least forgivable photos in yacht adverts are the ill-lit anonymous close-ups which give no idea of what on the vessel the subject is. Of course, the failure of people generally to consider their light source, fit their screen shape to the subject and look at what's on the screen before clicking the capture-button, isn't limited to yachtsmen. :sneaky:

steve yates

Visit site
I’m with Dan, no pics means stuff is being hidden.
Mypet hate is pics of outside, but none or just a couple of inside. As a buyer, the inside is more i portant, I generally know what a centaur or a sabre or whatever looks like.

As for the lots of pics of it sailing, naaa, thats just boring, tells you nothing about whether you would like to own this boat or not. Now a video of it under sailwould prob be of iinterest.

A bad/ grubby/messyinterior will do more to wreck your sale chances than almost anything other than a buggered engine.

srm

Visit site
I did have a problem finding pics for my last but one boat when selling. A Prout Quest with radar on a pole on stbd quarter and an Air X wind turbine on the other quarter. The problem was that both these conspicuous items were destined to be fitted on the replacement boat. As a firm believer that when selling on the web all images should clearly be "what you see is what you get" I spent quite a few hours selecting suitable images then photo editing the offending items out.

PaulGS

Visit site
What affects the market? For any particular boat that's up for sale there are many factors - most touched on above. I bought my first boat last summer - I paid £5k for a 27' cruiser because it had a great service record on the little-used Beta 20. Demographic change is the prime mover - yachties are getting old and are not being replaced by many younger people. Also, younger people have a preference for motorboats.

flaming

Visit site
Also, younger people have a preference for motorboats.
I think younger people in general, though obviously there are exceptions, prefer lower maintenance boats. And all of these boats don't really ever fall into that category....

PaulGS

Visit site
I think younger people in general, though obviously there are exceptions, prefer lower maintenance boats. And all of these boats don't really ever fall into that category....
Very true. This discussion is all great news for those of us with genuinely tight budgets though - especially those of us able to avoid the marina berthing overheads. A very decent boat can now be owned and enjoyed for very reasonable money.

mrming

instagram.com
Correct - the only “younger” people (it’s all relative in ybw 😀) I know who own yachts grew up with parents who had boats and aren’t scared of a bit of maintenance. I can’t imagine a 25-30 year old without a trust fund in today’s UK even considering having a small yacht as a hobby. They could probably find the money, or the time, but are less likely to find both.