What happened to the quadcopters??

ari

Visit site
What it needs is a GPS in the controller and the ability to communicate the controller position to the quadcopter. Then you need a function whereby it maintains its position relative to the controller. Then all you need to do is fly it to a position off of your stern quarter (or whatever angle you want to film from), set it to maintain position relative to the controller (which would be on board of course on the flybridge), and set off.

jfm

Visit site
What it needs is a GPS in the controller and the ability to communicate the controller position to the quadcopter. Then you need a function whereby it maintains its position relative to the controller. Then all you need to do is fly it to a position off of your stern quarter (or whatever angle you want to film from), set it to maintain position relative to the controller (which would be on board of course on the flybridge), and set off.

It has the required hardware: I mean it has a gps in the controller and communication to 'copter of controller's position. However it doesn't contain an algorithm whereby it moves so as to keep fixed relative to a moving controller. That would be a very smart thing to have - I like your idea very much in the context of boat photography. It's worth suggesting to the makers, DJI. As I'm such a large repeat customer of theirs I'll do that :)

DAKA

Visit site
it doesn't contain an algorithm whereby it moves so as to keep fixed relative to a moving controller.

Do I understand that if JB34 sets off in his boat expecting the quad to follow , it will just return and land where he set it off from ?

If so please delete that last bit and I will video him trying to get under it before it lands itself in the water ;)

ari

Visit site
It has the required hardware: I mean it has a gps in the controller and communication to 'copter of controller's position. However it doesn't contain an algorithm whereby it moves so as to keep fixed relative to a moving controller. That would be a very smart thing to have - I like your idea very much in the context of boat photography. It's worth suggesting to the makers, DJI. As I'm such a large repeat customer of theirs I'll do that :)

Excellent. Would certainly seem to make sense in the context of what you're trying to achieve.

It also needs to copy heading (so if you turn 90 degrees then as well as holding station relative to you, it turns as you do). That way if you set it to hover in front of you filming you bow on, when you turn it not only maintains position but by maintaining an identical heading it remains pointed at your bow the whole time.

The effect you're after in essence is like having a camera extended out on a rig, as they do with car photography. It would work very well with a camera for still shots then as well, you just need to be able to remotely fire the camera in 20 frame bursts and you'd get some fantastic brochure style shots!

JB34

Visit site
You can also use course lock, very simple, in course lock mode, the forward direction is recorded as the direction the Phantom is pointed in when course lock is engaged. You can then rotate (or yaw) the Phantom left and right, while still keeping the Phantom on it's original trajectory using forward on the right stick. Left and right will send the Phantom left and rigth in relation to the recorded forward direction.

More details, pictures and videos here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1811071

lanerboy

Visit site
that is brilliant and such good video quality

i tried to get into rc helicopters about 10 years ago after playing with it for a few weeks i was using it when i got it a bit close too my car so i gave it a thumb full of throttle to miss the car and befoe i new it it was a small dot in the sky ay up over the industrial estate i had no idea how to get it back needless to say i never did see it again quickest £500 i have ever lost :(

SteveE

www.xisis.net
Went to see a RC (they call it a drone) doing some scanning and photogrammetry at a large restoration project in Buxton called Buxton Crescent yesterday, too windy for outside work, but these are some pics of the inside action:

DSC_0020_zps28739b07.jpg

DSC_0021_zpseb30f2a3.jpg

DSC_0019_zpscbc53b4c.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsc262c4ac.jpg

DSC_0023_zps11c334bb.jpg

It will be some hotel and Spa when its finished...

Last edited:

JB34

Visit site
Auto Pilot & GPS auto home return after loss of signal, notice controller turned off (switch on controller to the left) to simulate failure, Phantom programmed to return to 60ft above home position and land itself in case of system failure!

It takes off from a square patch of grass and returns on auto to within 3ft!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrsSOAaMpno

Last edited:

EME

www.lumishore.com
However it doesn't contain an algorithm whereby it moves so as to keep fixed relative to a moving controller. That would be a very smart thing to have - I like your idea very much in the context of boat photography. It's worth suggesting to the makers, DJI. As I'm such a large repeat customer of theirs I'll do that :)

Grrr .. you've bought so many complete units and spare parts they are out of stock. I showed G & T video 1 last night, they are still laughing. All agree a superb video platform for us!

If the technical solution aka "Follow Me" doesnt work, I still believe that Fishing Rod plus line, weighted line from copter and steel gloves will do the trick. Still waiting for public viewing of Flight 3.:D

JB34

Visit site
Well just bought a nice case for mine ;)

Attachments

• Phantom case.jpg
    Phantom case.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Phantom case 2.jpg
    Phantom case 2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0

adey

Visit site

It is available with Mikrokopter electronics (not compatible with DJI).
You set the height and it follows the module, keeping the camera pointing at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pLuZzNYdRg

I also found this when searching. Very nice video of a boat at anchor...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74kx7BM8agU

jfm

Visit site
It is available with Mikrokopter electronics (not compatible with DJI).
You set the height and it follows the module, keeping the camera pointing at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pLuZzNYdRg

I also found this when searching. Very nice video of a boat at anchor...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74kx7BM8agU
Nice stuff Adey. Those things are typically £2k or so, and mine tend to end up all smashed, so I'll prob stick with the DJI for now, but yes for sure your one would be better for tracking a moving boat

The baia at anchor video was nice. Nice light. Should be able to get that sort of footage with the DJI. Roll on summer, and quiet anchorages in Corsica :)

jfm

Visit site
I don't know if anyone on here has seen these - waterproof quadcopters
Surely the answer when boating

Best to watch the whole of the video clip but at 3:10 on the video clip you will see a Go Pro fitted

http://aquacopters.gostorego.com/

US company though - not sure how you would get your hands one one in the UK
Fantastic discovery Hurricane - thanks. Perfect! I've just emailed them and asked them to take an order for a RTF version fully loaded with GPS and autopilot, and ship to UK. I'll update.
Those dji phantom quadcopters are, like, so last year man

BrendanS

Visit site
I'm totally ignoring this latest update, I haven't seen it. I have a collection of helicopters and quads and cameras, I haven't even got the hang of yet. One you can fly underwater (OK,slight exaggeration, but I'd try) is too much

vas

Visit site
OK, unless the submersible ones go down to 300euro a pop, I'm not a customer.
HOWEVER, I do have a few questions:

Why QUAD and not TRI???
What's the advantage I'm missing (other than more complex to built and possibly heavier...) ?
Why bother with dedicated controllers and not take advantage of the iphone/android/winphone/tablet even mobile devices? They all have gps s (well bar some old iphones) decent s/w platforms to do miracles with, wifi, you name it, they have it!
That should drop the cost of the submersible ones down to what I'm willing to pay in 2014 :p

I'm waiting!

cheers

V.

the waterproof one looks good though