what do you think ?

G

hi,

i was wandering what your feeling would be towards a device that lifted an outboard from the back of a dinghy onto a yacht allowing a person to do it safely and singlehanded.
What i would like to know is whether it would be seen as a problem that it was kept attached to the back of the yacht or would prefer that it was easily taken off each time and stowed in a cave locker ( which would be more time consuming ). We are assuming though that it does not impede movement onto / off the yacht and is aesthetically pleasing to as much as possible.

Also would you prefer it to have a mainly wood like appearance, for example teak so that it matches seats / decking , for it to be white to match the GRP or for it to be mainly stainless steel to match railings?

Thankyou for your help

matt.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: He mentioned R word

you do know your user name is considered bad luck if used on a boat,
even the mention of the little devils can cause some salty types hereabouts to shake.

Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by sailbadthesinner on 24/01/2003 12:00 (server time).</FONT></P>

tcm

Visit site
Sounds like another student project, Not a daft one either.

Outboards should stay on the back where they are usually located at the moment - either they have inbuilt fuel tank or atleast fuel in them. And having it the correct way up avoids problems of oil seeping into the compression chamber.

As for materials, "appropriateness" is the key word. Moving parts likely stainless, larger non-covereable less-stressed items wood, covers or lids in grp. I'd avoid grp in that spot, would hope an item could be made from stainless 316 and teak or similar planery.

Dunno how this would work though- can't leave long wires or rathctes off the back really. Meaning it needs um perhaps some fabulous pantograph contraption that allows one to belt a passing dinghy or rower with the outboard. Should sell like hot cakes.

Oh, and seeing as i am first to respond, can I have a free one please.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
another issue as you hoist it it needs to be held clear of transom and not able to swing about and bash things
i think real answer would be devlop super light outboard engine now that would sell like hot cakes.

Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

claymore

Visit site
These are already on the market.
I've seen stainless ones that are a single post that hoops over at the top and has a pulley system attached. The ones I've seen are always sited on one of the back corners of the boat and there is an Amel Yacht owned by an American which is often up the west coast in summer - I've watched him lower his outboard down to himself in the dinghy using the device.
hope this helps
TCM's comment about appropriate materials is probably sound although stainless will probably offer a least maintenance option

regards
Claymore

G

thanks for your reply,

it is another student project, A level in-fact. I have come up with how it will work and considered the relative problems involved as well as suitable materials.

I would just like to know which materials you would like it to appear as and whether you would want it to be kept on the back of the yacht or removed each time after use ( which to me would be silly but some people dont like too much on the back of their yacht which is what i am trying to establish. )

When i've finsihed the project i will post some pictures up and maybee soon some diagrams. Any feedback on this would be most appreciated.

if your actually interested in the product i may build a couple dependant on how it goes for assesment by third parties.

matt.

chriscallender

Visit site
Definitely keeping the thing under control and away from the boat while it is hoisted is the real issue.

Otherwise it doesn't really do much that a length of rope tied to the outboard wouldn't do already.

Chris

tcm

Visit site
A* : outboard +person lift

ok, avoiding grp, i think would be an aim.

But but...choosing the right materials is part of it - and each part would have to be right for that task. So, no point in me saying do it in wood throughout if it's going be too weak. The tackle around the stern of boats is made of stainless, wood and grp - cos that's the best choice, not cos someone decided what they'like and the designers went through hell to make it using those materials. GRP, hardwood and stainless are going to be primary choices, cos they can stand the seawater. But GRP will stand out too much, so mimise that. Wood will mean it needs to be too chunky, so minimise that.

There are these things already - a simple canted pulley hoist. You could refer to these. But perhaps make it a bit more useful/ multifunctional so it could hoik aboard a whole person too! - would only need to spin so you could haulem out and deposit em in the cockpit.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.forespar.com/catalog/hoist/nova.htm>http://www.forespar.com/catalog/hoist/nova.htm</A>

claymore

Visit site
The ships dog lift

It could be used for this - they have slings/jackets for dogs so to be able to hoist Able Seaman Muttley would be a good point if you have to run a marketing/usage module within your project

regards
Claymore

jimi

Visit site
Re: The ships dog lift

I reckon a dog loo would be a good idea .. length of astraturf on plank attached to poop deck?

claymore

Visit site
And another thing

My attempts to liberate a trial fenderstep appear to have gone unrewarded - suely an outboarddoggygallows is'nt too much to ask?

regards
Claymore

Opinionated

Visit site
A variation on your theme...

As an owner of, let-us-say, an 'unmanagable bastardess', I have wondered if it would be possible to create a demountable, steerable, bowthruster. The number of times I would have loved to have such a beast.....

ps. SWMBO has nothing to do with this posting!!

(I don't have to agree with YOUR opinions, but I'll defend your right to express them).

graham

Visit site
How about a pivoting multi purpose davit that could be used to haul any heavy item aboard,including a man over board??

The idea is not original but I am sure it would find a market among the larger boats. Anything that can combine practical uses with safety uses has to be good.

Stainless seems the most likely material due to strength and low maintenance.

I think the biggest design headache would be how to attatch it to the boat strongly enough.