What do you look for in a boat advert?

Visit site
Im writing up the advert for a boat at the moment, with a view to put her up on ebay and boatshed, Boats and Outboards, Apollo duck ect. But what does your average yachty punter want to know? Obviously boats specs, LOA, beam draft ect, make model and age, and condition, ie ready to sail or project boat. But what about the inventory, would you rather it had every little thing down to cutlery and ensign, or just the big stuff, tender/sails ect. Do you really want to read that paragraph most adverts seem to start with This boat has been well looked after and belonged to my father/uncle/hamster for xx years and we are sad to see her go blah blah blah. Which pictures do you really want to see? Oh and finally any other suggestions on places to put the listing? Thanks, Matt

mikehibb

Visit site
Good quality pics, not little thumbnails that when clicked on become big blurred pics.

Pics of a clean tidy boat, do not want to see last two days pots and pans in the galley sink. YES I have seen boats advertised with pots and pans everywhere, along with clothing hanging out to dry.
If you advertised your car for sale, you would try to make it look better than the other similar models for sale, same goes for a boat. Well worth an extra trip to the marina or where ever it is, just pretty it up a bit for the pics, a few quid in petrol for the trip will be well worth it in the long run.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Would go along with plenty of pics, as well as the obvious onesI find it useful to show inside of cockpit lockers, pictures of the engine, storage areas etc. Words are useful but good quality pictures are a must for me.

Nigel_Ward

Visit site
I agree with the pix, pix, pix school of selling. Detailed shots of the quality of the varnished wood and the gloss of the gelcoat show the boat has been maintained and is worth viewing.

If you set up a photo album on one of the free photo web sites, you can give the link to any enquirer (or put the link in a Boatsandoutboards advert).

When I have bought boats I think the inventory is secondary to the condition of the hull and only detailed photos show this.

tabernacleman

Visit site
An exact inventory is usually required at the contract stage, so why not put it in with the advert, as long as you aint payin per word, might keep your boat on someones short list, photos are great but cannot show all the kit or the age of things, if you don't put it in then you are sure to be asked. A broker would want full details, so put your brokers hat on, or think like a buyer, be honest, very annoying to travel hundreds of miles to discover a shed!!!

maxi77

Visit site
Whilst I agree with the lots of pixs theme, make sure they actually tell the story the buyer wants. Far to often I have seen lots of meaningless pictures that sho me quality kit but no real feel for the lay out of the boat. Always think of what you would be looking for if you were buying.

A good inventory will help, as will truthfull comments on condition. If a prospective buyer turns up and finds what was described as being in 1st class nick is in fact tired dirty and scruffy, you will not get a sale.

homa

Visit site
I would say that a copy of a recent survey would be top of my list.

Before I buy a boat I have a budget in mind and a list of the equipment I need for the boat, so I don't believe you can put too much information in an advert. In addition to listing the inventory with approximate ages for the big items, I look for details of any running repairs and replacement equipment with approximate dates (e.g. sails, rigging, engine, electronics etc). For me this would give a potted history of the boat and indicate how she has been looked after.
Agree with other posters about lots of pics.
When I sold my last boat I had the one good picture of her sailing in the advert and I send prospective purchasers additional pictures on request.
I also had a recent survey - which really helped.

graham

Visit site
Things I would want to know are

Asking Price

Age of hull ,is it original or painted,which keel variant is it.

Age make and condition of sails

Age make hp and condition of engine

Age of standing rigging

Number and length of berths.

Any attractive extras such as electronics windvanes, dinghy etc,dont care about cutlery and minor items at this stage.

Loads of pics to reflect the condition honestly ,remove all junk from the boat first,I find a picture of a boat with the forecabin and quarter berth full of cruising junk abit of a turn off.

Good Luck with it.

seanfoster

Visit site
Some sort of evidence that the boat has been well looked after (for example an enthusiastic tone that comes across from the seller) and reasurance that the boat is ready to go!

rogerdog

www.bristolchannel.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Things I would want to know are

Asking Price

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly - "the make me an offer" - "realistic offers considered" etc cause me to clink the next button immediately

also another vote for pictures - I like to see a few "overall" pictures showing her -followed with detailed photos of not only the deck and view of the companionway but engine, cooker instruments (switched on) bunks (all) heads inside lockers with something to scale them and general ones of the interior . Again they need to be large enough so you can see detail.

In addition if any damage / needs fixing etc (apologies if does not apply) a good photo of that otherwise immediately I feel that someone is trying to hide _ BUT do remember you are trying to show her in the best light.

In addition an inventory (with condition eg all working / as new etc) outline of the survey (inc date) with offer to email complete survey etc.

bluedragon

Visit site
What really irritates me is the tendency of brokers to list every little detail of the inventory down to the last eggcup and say nothing or little about overall condition, major work done, etc. So don't fall into that trap!! I just click and move on.

Pictures, yes, but meaninful and good size/quality as others have said. Boatshed's "60+ pics" are often poor IMO. They confuse quantity with quality in many cases.

I DO want to know history, major items changed/renewed, etc, and as for price...that's tricky right now as many boats are being substantially reduced, but if you put an honest "credit-crunch" price on the ad, buyers will still want to knock you down 15-20% !! Don't know the answer to this...

jac

Visit site
The advert really is to get the prchaser to either contact you or come view - don't need cutlery or the waffle. Like many - i have an on the water budget. I'll pay the whole budget if the boat is antifouled, ready to go, everything ready. The more i have to pay to get her into a sailing state the less i have for purchase so I want to know it early on.

As a minimum - Price and genuine description of overall condition. - Ask a good friends opinion!
Age / condition of all major parts, sails, rig, engine, electronics etc. Will they get me through a season or two or do they have to be replaced before she gets within 100 yards of the water.

Good pics showing her in and out of water. Overall profile, some general shots and again pics of the more importnat (i.e. expensive) bits.

In many ways - it depends where she is - I'm not going to travel hundreds of miles to see a boat i'm dubious about. But if she's in the same marina as one i definitely want to see then i don;t mind spending 10 minutes looking at any old tat.

In a nutshell then - enough info for me to be certain that a trip will be worthwhile and to have a reasonable idea of how much i'd have to spend to bring her up to spec.

The other thing i would say before advertising is look at the asking prices of a range of boats of different ages - I'm amazed when i see some 10 year old mass produced boats asking not much less than a new one. Undertsand the whole part ofthe market that you're operating in - i.e. what can you get for £x and price accordingly and not just what other owners are asking for the class and you'll be ok

Lakesailor

Visit site
Everyone is different as you can tell from these replies. Whatever you want to do, make it top class. No spelling mistakes. No messy pictures.
Look at this web page and decide not to do any interior pictures like this Scruffy Interior
Look carefully at the scene you photograph. All the stuff your eye is avoiding will be seen by the camera, believe me.

Avoid descriptive phrases like "sails well" and "homely boat" they are subjective and meaningless. Stick to facts and stress everything that is in good condition or new. Make it sound like a sailaway bargain.

Cariadco

Visit site
Re: I would say that a copy of a recent survey would be top of my list.

A tip on the inventory list.
Ensure there's a detail specification of what's listed, eg - Inflatable Dinghy, 30HP outboard etc Insist it says....Avon Inflatable dinghy and Mercury 30 HP etc.
When I viewed my boat, prior to buying, all seemed well.
I bought it, and returned to sail away a couple of months later. It was only then I noticed, the dinghy had been swapped for another make, as for nearly everything in the cabin. Kettle, Pots & Pans, Bedding, you name it, if it was vague on the itenery, it was swapped for an inferior version. The owners skipper, who had his new boat moored alongside whilst I was viewing my boat, had long departed before I set off with mine. Guess who I suspect did the swapping?????
The broker couldn't help as, basically it was my fault for not checking everything out before I set off, and I suppose he does have a point.
Ah well, many new pans & kettle and about a million things later........One day I hope our paths cross......