what do i do to moor in the IOW?

aztec

Visit site
greetings, just spent a weekend on the island with relatives, friends and family. fancy taking the boat next time.

had a look round, but i'm unsure about what to do when i get there. do i just hang about waiting for someone to help me? or is there a contact for visitors? all i want is a place to tie up, so that i can mooch about the island and enjoy myself for a couple of days.

so i guess i need some help from experienced cruisers?

can i moor off the beach, and swim to the pub?

ahh say what you like.... what's done is done!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.amos/index.html

wheneverIcan

Visit site
Where are you planning to visit?. One of our favourite places is Newtown Creek. You can either pick up a white visitor bouy or anchor in good holding over night. Take a dinghy to the jetty (watch low tide!!) and walk a mile to a brilliant 16th century pub. They have great food and a good garden.

Alternatively just take the dinghy ashore and have a BBQ on the beach.

Good luck

Simon

aztec

Visit site
thats the sort of reply i'm looking for.. straight forward and helpful, cheers simon. i'm back in sunny dorset now but working towards my trip later. i love the island and don't know much about boating, especially when visiting places. i dont know if you can just turn up, and find a berth, or just do the hippy thing and stay on the beach.

ahh say what you like.... what's done is done!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.amos/index.html

wheneverIcan

Visit site
I've been puzzling over how I get a picture of my boat on the left hand side of the screen as you have done?

Cheers for your help

Simon

wheneverIcan

Visit site
thanks. Home email is : simon@ridgekot.co.uk, if you could cc it to work which is : effect.co.uk.

Its very daunting all this mooring lark. I've had a boat for three years now and the one thing that worries me despite taking the Day Skipper course is mooring and the correct "way to do things"!! Perhaps thats why we like Newtown as no one is ever watching and its all very laid back and relaxing.

Just keep an eye out for white buoys, these are usually visitors moorings and you can just tie upto one until a man in a boat comes along (don't worry if you leave the boat - he'll come and find you when you return!) for some money (£3 for a day at Newtown).

Bealieu River is nice, all the bouys are residents so if you find a spare one just tie up and if the berth holder comes back you just move on.

My Day Skipper instuctor told me to relax, tie up anywhere that is safe and not endangering others and if you are in someones space they'll soon let you know.

We are going from our base in Lymington next week to Weymouth so that'll be the test of my navigation!

Simon

G

depends where. We spend a lot of time in Alum bay on the pick. Or go round to Colwell Bay, drop the pick and go ashore in the tender to the cafe. I'm trying to figure out how to get into Yarmouth - every time I go there, it's full...

Geoffs

Visit site
Agree with Graham, Alum Bay good, although holding not always great, I'd worry over night. Colwell Bay one of our favourites as well, sandy, so holding good. If you've got short people, it's the best beach on the western end of the island, though not much of it at high water.

Yarmouth always busy, but good for fuel. The cheapest water side petrol I know of. 87p on my last visit.

I like stopping at East Cowes. Reasonably quiet, away from event weeks, and good facilities.

Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'

miket

Visit site
Firstly, you can often raise the various marina harbour masters on vhf Ch 80.

If your not happy at anchor but fancy something a little less "smart", I like Bembridge (East end IoW) and Island Harbour (up Medina river, past Folly Inn and 1st on left).

No aspersions on these 2. Part of their charm.

Geoffs

Visit site
Re: Yarmouth

Some is still on piles, but they have got quite a few pontoons as well, but not connected to shore, so still need dinghy. How many? Difficult to estimate maybe 50/50.

Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'