What constitutes

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
an Urgent VHF call on a mobo?

The reason I ask is I heard one on Saturday where a guy with two engines interupted the CG working an emergency to report the loss of one engine.

Now I know raggies make daft calls but I'd have thought that when one engine gives up the ghost you'd just be pleased you had the good sense to buy two.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Oldhand

Visit site
Heard that one and another too. Pity its illegal to disclose the contents of maratime radio communications, one could produce a good Giles type cartoon book from everything one hears.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Indeed!! I had one engine pack up whilst in Pwllheli marina 3 weeks ago. Bloody inconvenient but not a danger to anyone, infact a few raggies would say that a good thing had happened!! :)

Motored back to Porthmadog (12nm approx) unable to plane and unable to do more than 8 kts (in a 46kt boat), but actually I really enjoyed the journey in the sunshine. And no, I didn't think of calling any emergency service.

<hr width=100% size=1>Madoc Yacht Club
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.madocyachtclub.co.uk>http://www.madocyachtclub.co.uk</A>

Talbot

Visit site
IMHO the need to make a call would depend on a couple of factors:

What was the weather like
Did you know what caused the failure of the first engine.

If the weather was deteriorating or the cause of the engine failure was not known (or if known, could possibly cause trouble to the other engine), then I would certainly send a Pan message. The urgency of this was certainly not sufficient to break in on the other emergency that was taking the attention of the CG - - I also listened on Saturday!.

<hr width=100% size=1>

PaulF

Visit site
I think one engine disabled by a rope and not being in a position to secure the rope securely so it didn't foul the second would make me call, Apart from that maybe a call to the marina to get a hand roping in if close quarters manouvering was called for. Twin engined boats can be difficult on one engine.

It still amazes me when I hear somebody making their lunch arrangements with friends on 16. . . . and children that 'play' on the VHF Ughhhh!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
Dont Mobo's just go round in circles when they lose and engine then? jet skis seem to have the same problem sometimes

<hr width=100% size=1>

Roy

Visit site
Boats want to (obviously veer to one side or t'other when an engine is out but course is easily made good by a a bit of helm at a reduced speed of course. As for bikes and ski's, I don't know of any with more than one engine, but when you lose power, you lose steerage and motion too. The majority of collisions with jet bikes occur when inexperienced and/or untrained riders run too fast and too close to boats or fixed objects, panic and instead of driving clear under power, they throttle back and lose steerage, but the bike keeps going on it's course. Nasty but true. Roy

<hr width=100% size=1>What does this mean then?