What boat/Victory40?

pjcam

Visit site
My wife & I are in the process of selling up & are looking at what boat to buy for the two of us plus a daughter aged 10 (to live aboard full time) & possibly a son aged 20 with enough spare room for our visiting daughter aged 23. We want something that 2 of us can manage quite easily (ketch maybe) and we are planning a couple of years in the Med then plan an Atlantic crossing and probably further afield. One boat that we like is the Victory 40 with pilot house/deck saloon. Has anyone any experience of one or anything similar? Any info will be most appreciated

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I have litterally just sold my Victory yesterday - they are wonderfull boats - and very suitable for your purpose. They don't come on to the market all that often and some stick for a long time with good reason. That reason is not that the price is too high but that they have not been loved and are presented in a mess.
Some that stick are basically in good order and loved - but have old sailes old rigging, original engine etc, - work out tyhe replacemnet costs of those and you will see that the one in Greece for example needs all of these. Being advertised at £58K could you add 30K costs and end up with a boat which you could sell for 80K@ Not a chance in hell. I think the Maximum for an imaculate example with everthing up to date would be 65-70K. Therefore this boat is only worth 40K realistically. I do however think they are worth 89K or more - in comparison with a HR or something - but the market does not think that. In short they can provide great value for money that you could not find enaywhere else. Even a neglected one can be brought back to life at the right price, as they are suberbly built hull and deck wise. There were some home completion boats which should be treated warily. If you can find one from Frank Halls boatyard - they used to subcontract to Trintella. they would command a slightly higher price.

There are a few examples around at the moment. Search also for Trintella IVa as well as this is the same boat but finished to a higher spec.

Look at my details as a bench mark - sold for asking price.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.myboatdetails.com/corsair>http://www.myboatdetails.com/corsair</A>

If you need anymore ideas do PM me.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ric

Visit site
There is a bloke in my marina with one for sale. It is in totally immaculate condition - I mean it! You will never, ever see a boat that is so beautifully kept. He's a commerical skipper, and has been living abroad his boat for ten years or so. I'd imagine the asking price is quite high, but it will be worth it as it is so well kept and equipped. If you are interested email me and I will send you his tel number.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Good condition or not - this one is overpriced. HOWEVER what we are talking about is what the market will pay. I totally agree it is worth the price in relation to other better known marks such as HR which in my mind are not a patch on this type!

Unfortunately the market rules.

PS I have just sold my Victory - so above is heart felt! The guys to persuade was the original poster of this thread.

I wish him luck however as anyone buying it - even at that price - will have a superb boat.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

pjcam

Visit site
Thanks to everyone who's replied. It looks like I,m on the right track with the type of vessel to buy. Just got a few thousand bits and pieces to sort out before we finally get going!!!. (Thanks Ric, I,ll be phoning this guy today probably.)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
> He's a commercial skipper, and has been living abroad his boat

The trouble with yachts used as long-term live-aboards or those that come back from long-term voyaging in the tropics is they are rarely taken out of the water. They then end up on the market with high GRP moisture readings.

<hr width=100% size=1>

A

Anonymous

I've left mine in the water for over four years, seldom out, and had that problem. Osmotic blistering not terribly bad but I've had to have her out this year with a full gelcoat removal and epoxy. She's been drying on the hard since November and still not dry enough yet to paint. Is there any way round it? But what is the problem with high moisture in the GRP provided that the gelcoat is not damaged? Presumably delamination will not result simply from high % moisture?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ongolo

Visit site
Just a thought on this subject of drying.

I have a steel boat, so I have other problems than osmosis.

I live in an area where it is warm and humdity is often aslo low as 15%, when you do the washing, by the time you finsihed the 2nd load, the first load is dry and comes off the washing line after only 30 minutes or so. (not tumble dried but spin dried)

Would it not cut your drying time for osmosis problems much shorter if you went to such a low humidity area? And do the treatmen there? Maybe we could start a service.

regards ongolo

Ps. Here it could not be done, dry enough, but too corrosive for the rest of the boat. I am thinking of other locations.

<hr width=100% size=1>1000 dream about it, 100 talk about it, 10 start and 1 completes it