what boat do you have

paradave

Visit site

julians

Visit site
no, they didn't offer me one to be honest
I wouldn't offer one either, if the person doesn't ask they don't get, but I would gladly give one if asked.

Most people make a sea trial a condition of sale when buying a second hand boat.

Is it too late to pause and request a sea trial?

Last edited:

paradave

Visit site
It's an outboard ,so if you want a more powerful one it's relatively easy to sell the old and get a bigger Suzuki fitted.
Yup. Depends entirely on what your usage is likely to be whether that’s a suitable engine - if not, the option is there to swap if finances allow.

Bernd1972

Visit site
interesting! what is it? The shafts seem to be rather long! What brand are the stabs?

The boat is a 1976 Hatteras 58 YF. Substance is really good and, compared to today´s standards, ridiculously overbuilt.

The shafts are rather long, but with 80mm they are real shafts, not wires. Shafts, and props are completely made by Schaffran which probably was not cheap for the last owner. They usually do stuff for German coast guard and navy.
Boat has been repowered with MAN 2848 V8 engines about 18 years ago , so fortunatelly no longer Detroits aboard. Last owner had the boat for about 42 years and had the opportunity to repower with the MANs for a good price (still expensive as hell!) when these mechanical ones no longer met the emission requirements for new built boats. Engines are M3 rating with 540 hp@2100rpm, so quite sturdy. However, these beasts give plenty of power for a boat that´s basically a sport trawler. 21kts is more than fast enough for that hull!

Stabilizers are KoopNautic, same age as engines and they work really fine. Glad to have them .

The interiour is still fine and without stupid changes, however, the electrics are somewhat adventurous. They had battery chargers built by an electrician and fuses for the high-amperage consumers are all over the boat with no recognizeable concept. Every bit on its own is ok, but in total it´s chaotic. I guess the home-built battery chargers cost the last owner a good 5-digit amount in resale value as they most probably made most potential buyers just turn around and leave. Some of the nice blue boxes from Victron would have made a much better impression. But that´s an easy fix.

Hull and superstructure on main deck are allready repainted. The flybridge will be rearranged with a good-sized seating area and I´ll build a new bathing platform. All installations on the flybridge (some obsolete GPS-antennas, anchor light, running lights, flir cam and lots of other rubbish) will be rearranged on a new and cleaner radar arch.

Still plenty to do, but the boat is well worth it.

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
The boat is a 1976 Hatteras 58 YF. Substance is really good and, compared to today´s standards, ridiculously overbuilt.

The shafts are rather long, but with 80mm they are real shafts, not wires. Shafts, and props are completely made by Schaffran which probably was not cheap for the last owner. They usually do stuff for German coast guard and navy.
Boat has been repowered with MAN 2848 V8 engines about 18 years ago , so fortunatelly no longer Detroits aboard. Last owner had the boat for about 42 years and had the opportunity to repower with the MANs for a good price (still expensive as hell!) when these mechanical ones no longer met the emission requirements for new built boats. Engines are M3 rating with 540 hp@2100rpm, so quite sturdy. However, these beasts give plenty of power for a boat that´s basically a sport trawler. 21kts is more than fast enough for that hul!

Stabilizers are KoopNautic, same age as engines and they work really fine. Glad to have them .

The interiour is still fine and without stupid changes, however, the electrics are somewhat adventurous. They had battery chargers built by an electrician and fuses for the high-amperage consumers are all over the boat with no recognizeable concept. every bit on its own is ok, but in total it´s chaotic. I guess the home-built battery chargers cost the last owner a good 5-digit amount in resale value as they most probably made most potential buyers just turn around and leave. Some of the nice blue boxes from Victron would have made a much better impression. But that´s an easy fix.

Hull and superstructure on main deck are allready repainted. The flybrindge will be rearranged with a good-sized seating area and I´ll build a new bathing platform. All installations on the flybridge (some obsolete GPS-antennas, anchor light, running lights, flir cam and lots of other rubbish) will be rearranged on a new and cleaner radar arch.

Still plenty to do, but the boat is well worth it.

I agree on the well worth it front as it looks a lovely boat. It is excellent that there are people out there with the time and money to put into such lovely old craft

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
yes I know I've done a bit of research , and a lot of people have said with 150hp its underpowered, I hope I haven't made a huge mistake
As others have said this is a relatively easy fix. Craning off one outboard and fitting a bigger one is straightforward and the old one will have resale value. Or (if the hull / fittings / wallet will accommodate it) you could add a second identical 150 to crerate a twin installation, which gives you the benefit of a bit of redundancy.

Bernd1972

Visit site
Well, the boat is awfully overpowered for its true speed potential and heavy as hell. Even though it has ample power, that beast is not ment to be fast. But then again it goes through waves like a tank through a brick wall. Shakes a bit and goes forward!

Last edited:

Hot Property

Visit site
She has a V8 Merc MPI with a cam and exhausts fitted as part of a one off performance package Bigplumbs. Quite a machine. She will likely have a little over 300HP. stepped hull and a pad to run on. Just shy of 70 mph gps (where permitted ?)

You forgot to mention the Enertia prop!!