What bearings for anchor roller?

GHA

Visit site
Looking at fitting bearings to the anchor roller, not so much for the chain (though might anyway..) but the snubber is onboard then goes over the other roller then soft shackled into the chain. 95% of the time hardly moves but a decent onshore for a few days means constant pitching the snubber moving a good few feet every few seconds for sometimes days so a lot of movement, not too bad yet but will certainly wear with the boat always on the hook. .
Idea is get the bearings then get a back street fabricator to rebate out the roller, think they are acetol with 16mm axle bolt.

So what bearings would suit?

Something like these? >
SMB Bearings
1719650614780.png

TIA

rogerthebodger

Visit site
My bow rollers are made from Visconte which is a water lubricated bearing in itself.

I use the same material for rubber bearings and prop shaft bearings

Stainless steel ball bearings could be used but I would not use then in a bow roller

I do use stainless steel ball bearings in my mast head and foot halyard sheaves as they are better protected

GHA

Visit site
My bow rollers are made from Visconte which is a water lubricated bearing in itself.

I use the same material for rubber bearings and prop shaft bearings

Stainless steel ball bearings could be used but I would not use then in a bow roller

I do use stainless steel ball bearings in my mast head and foot halyard sheaves as they are better protected

Good idea! No immediate google to a uk supplier. Back in the day working in theatre we'd use Nylotron or molybdenum impregnated nylon, 1m bar of that would probably do, make up a load of spares to replace if & when needed.

RS used to do so much more materials it seems!!

Nylatron seems easy to get, sounds the way to go & handy to have a bit onboard anyway, sorted - thanks Roger!

Last edited:

Dogone

Visit site
Good idea! No immediate google to a uk supplier. Back in the day working in theatre we'd use Nylotron or molybdenum impregnated nylon, 1m bar of that would probably do, make up a load of spares to replace if & when needed.

Nylatron seems easy to get, sounds the way to go & handy to have a bit onboard anyway, sorted - thanks Roger!
Older than that is Oilite. Oil impregnated bronze usually used as a sleeved plain bearing insert. Bronze being good, strong,, wear resistant and corrosion proof boaty stuff it might be suitable. Check strength too.

GHA

Visit site
In the real world yes.
Slight wear has started, spare bearings separate from the roller which can be swapped out are, imho, a good idea & cost little.
From the perspective of a cruising boat living very far from western shops.

GHA

Visit site
My rope snubber roller is stainless steel. No wear

Posh git! 😁 😁

I've a short length of 12mm dyneema going over the spare bow roller (just cos there was a bit in a locker as much as anything) soft shackled into the chain so it can chafe away to next to nothing & still hold. not that it should but the real world can bite yer bum sometimes at 3am when it's blowing up.

Vague head CAD drawings of mounting sheaves semi permanently on deck for the nylon snubber instead of pulley blocks so a length of bearing material may well come in handy. And a little dusty back street machine shop one day to turn it all up for cost of an airport coffee or 2 :cool:

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Both my bow rollers were turned from acetal. Not sure how long ago, ten years? No obvious wear. Acetal is a widely used self lubricating polymer that is just about ideal for the job. Nylon swells considerably in water, up to 11% for some grades.

Reactions: GHA

rogerthebodger

Visit site

Vesconite - world-leading manufacturer of low-friction low-wear bearings

you will find a UK phone number at the bottom of the above link, or you could E Mail /phone my supplier

Tip you could ask for a sample and make one from the sample

Aja

Visit site
Starboard roller for chain is bronze. Snubber is nylon rode passing through a piece of pvc hose over an acetal roller. This has a small worn area maybe to a depth of 2mm but roller so cheap I had a spare made at the same time. Maybe overthinking things?

Admittedly I'm not at anchor every night for days on end, but works for me

Tranona

Visit site

colhel

Visit site
I don't know what tolerances on an axle bolt but if the hole in the acetal was a good slide fit it should last ages. Another solution is to get a 16mm ID "oilite" sleeve and machine the roller so it's a tight fit in that.

I tried posting a link to a suitable "oilite bearing" but the forum wouldn't have it for some reason

Oil Filled Bronze Flange Bushes: Oilite Oil Filled Bronze Flanged Bushes

B27

Visit site
You can get various plastic bushes which might be OK, cheap and replaceable, but actually, the anchor roller can be quite a high stress component. The 'fretting' action is perhaps exactly wrong for a stainless ball race?
You should wonder what the sides of the stemhead assembly will be doing to the rode, as in the real world, the anchor is not always dead ahead of the yacht.
Igus is one brand of bush to look at.

Zing

Visit site
You can get various plastic bushes which might be OK, cheap and replaceable, but actually, the anchor roller can be quite a high stress component. The 'fretting' action is perhaps exactly wrong for a stainless ball race?
You should wonder what the sides of the stemhead assembly will be doing to the rode, as in the real world, the anchor is not always dead ahead of the yacht.
Igus is one brand of bush to look at.
I’ve used Igus bearings on machinery I designed. Worked well, but they are weak. Unlikely to be suitable in this application I think unless the design accommodates that issue and I believe that will be very hard to do.

B27

Visit site
I’ve used Igus bearings on machinery I designed. Worked well, but they are weak. Unlikely to be suitable in this application I think unless the design accommodates that issue and I believe that will be very hard to do.
you're probably right.
Any plastic less rigid than the acetal will probably deform too much under load?
When the boat is affected by chop or breeze, the loads may not be small.
Perhaps a smear of silicone grease would help?
If it's wet, any bearing material harder than acetal might wear the stainless axle, because that depends on forming an oxide layer.

Avoiding fretting movement at the stemhead is much quieter for one thing!

noelex

Visit site
We use a very similar set up.

We had around 3000 nights at anchor on our previous yacht on a plain bearing, and there was minimal wear. Our current boat has around 2000 nights at anchor with a similar result. However, the friction of the bow roller under load effects the maximum pulling power of the windlass. The force often has a 90° change of direction. I think installing low friction bearings will have significant advantages, so your project will have some worthwhile and practical benefits.

One principle that helps both wear on the bearing and the overall load on the windlass is to install a large bow roller where possible.

Below is a photo of our current bow roller.

Bigger is better for most anchoring equipment :).

You_Doodle_2024-06-29T20_53_29Z.jpeg

Last edited: