What are we doing wrong !

steveeasy

Visit site
I think there’s a degree of inevitability. You start out by doing something you’re good at. Success eventually looks like managing others doing the same thing.

Tally Ho has been/is fascinating and inspirational.

Any sane person would have taken one look at the vaguely boat-shaped firewood and run away to become an accountant.

Thank goodness for a little bit of insanity.
Could not agree more. It would be very interesting to know what Leo really was planning to achieve though. Would make a good read. We must not forget the massive amount of work done by all the early volunteers who really made the films so appealing which lead to the financial support. They were critical in the success.

Parabordi

Visit site
I now see our friends at 'Ship Happens' have now bought another boat additionally to the money pit Sarinda, a little motor boat they renovated, a sailing dinghy and now have a twin gas guzzling petrol engines American offshore cruiser (which also must have cost a small fortune to repair).

Apart from their YouTube site, They are experts at fundraising, you make an Amazon wish list and amazingly people buy you items and send them free, they advertise and companies send them tools, drills, saws , sanders, hammers, clamps, protective clothing, sandpaper and paint free, people pay to join their face book site , Ko Fi at £3 month,and now they have just received 5 tons of marine ply 'free' from a kind (or stupid doner)

I like many others have been saving up these last few months for a tin of anti foul so I must be doing it very wrong :)
Ahem it's got diesels not petrols.

ShipHappens

Visit site
I now see our friends at 'Ship Happens' have now bought another boat additionally to the money pit Sarinda, a little motor boat they renovated, a sailing dinghy and now have a twin gas guzzling petrol engines American offshore cruiser (which also must have cost a small fortune to repair).

Apart from their YouTube site, They are experts at fundraising, you make an Amazon wish list and amazingly people buy you items and send them free, they advertise and companies send them tools, drills, saws , sanders, hammers, clamps, protective clothing, sandpaper and paint free, people pay to join their face book site , Ko Fi at £3 month,and now they have just received 5 tons of marine ply 'free' from a kind (or stupid doner)

I like many others have been saving up these last few months for a tin of anti foul so I must be doing it very wrong :)
Hello!

If you have any questions you can always get me by email or on our socials! Sometimes it’s better to ask the person directly instead of starting threads on groups where things can be run on rumours and false information!
Yes we bought another boat, and the reason we did this was to gain more experience at sea before we set off in a 72ft boat! Even though we are years off having Sarinda sailing again, we thought it would be best to start building up our boat handling now and learning as much as we can!
We actually paid for this boat ourself, I unfortunately lost my dear nan in 2021, and I was very lucky she left me a little bit of money, and we also sold our personal campervan.
Things are expensive to fix but if you do most of the work yourself it’s not, and yes we got the help from a few wonderful companies to do so.
Our friendly Facebook group is absolutely free to join, we don’t charge for that, or instagram, TikTok and YouTube.

The donation of ply we got was actually not 5 tonnes worth, it was 1.5 tonne

Our goal for Sarinda is to have her ready for the 85th anniversary of DDay, and recreate her route, there is no further plans ahead of this, as we never actually planned to buy her, so we never did this with a version or goal. But in the future we would love to do some charity work, to help improve other people’s lives, whether it be mental health, working with children, or assisting disabled people get to sea.

I wish we were experts at fundraising, then maybe we wouldn’t be living hand to mouth each week. We have gave up everything to save a peice of history, and everything we are working for is for that goal. But we would be better off walking away and getting a job at MCDonalds, we would be far less stressed, earn more money and we wouldn’t have people who don’t know the full story judge us negatively online.

So if anyone would like any further information, just ask!
Gemma

Binnacle

Visit site
A quick note about your strategic objectives -

"in the future we would love to do some charity work, to help improve other people’s lives, whether it be mental health, working with children, or assisting disabled people get to sea."

There are many sailing schools, charities and other benevolent organisations who run boats for commercial purposes or for social support reasons. They are required to have the vessels inspected, and the managers to have formal qualifications in e.g. sailing, first aid, safety, and social health.

I've had a look at your FB pages and cannot see much in the way of planning to achieve the required inspection and certification levels. Given that it's another 5 years before the D DDAY anniversary you have targeted (2029 ?) , I would suggest that you get hold of a decent big boat surveyor as soon as possible to give the boat a deep check to identify any significant underlying structural problems before you carry on with the superficial repairs and maintenance. Finding any inherent structural problems at this stage will save a lot of heartache and money when you are near launching.

The same applies to management certificates. They require years of building up and proof of experience. A quick chat with the RYA will give you clues as to how you have to plan for (and cost out) the various skill courses which are obligatory.

I would also suggest you talk with sailing charities, e.g.

Jolie Brise - Dauntsey's School Wiltshire

to see how efficient and organised groups manage to run marine charities.

To say that there are shallow waters and rocks ahead of your ambitions may be an analogy too far, but you do need to set project strategies well in advance, especially those where legislative requirements have to be fulfilled.

doug748

Visit site
Hello!

If you have any questions you can always get me by email or on our socials! Sometimes it’s better to ask the person directly instead of starting threads on groups where things can be run on rumours and false information!
Yes we bought another boat, and the reason we did this was to gain more experience at sea before we set off in a 72ft boat! Even though we are years off having Sarinda sailing again, we thought it would be best to start building up our boat handling now and learning as much as we can!
We actually paid for this boat ourself, I unfortunately lost my dear nan in 2021, and I was very lucky she left me a little bit of money, and we also sold our personal campervan.
Things are expensive to fix but if you do most of the work yourself it’s not, and yes we got the help from a few wonderful companies to do so.
Our friendly Facebook group is absolutely free to join, we don’t charge for that, or instagram, TikTok and YouTube.

Our goal for Sarinda is to have her ready for the 85th anniversary of DDay, and recreate her route, there is no further plans ahead of this, as we never actually planned to buy her, so we never did this with a version or goal. But in the future we would love to do some charity work, to help improve other people’s lives, whether it be mental health, working with children, or assisting disabled people get to sea.

I wish we were experts at fundraising, then maybe we wouldn’t be living hand to mouth each week. We have gave up everything to save a peice of history, and everything we are working for is for that goal. But we would be better off walking away and getting a job at MCDonalds, we would be far less stressed, earn more money and we wouldn’t have people who don’t know the full story judge us negatively online.

Gemma

Nice to hear from you.

I think you deserve a mention in the Birthday Honours just for putting up with the patronising comments. The moaners are probably less than 1 in 1000 and will have no experience of the huge amount of work involved in doing this sort of stuff and no background or understanding of the time and effort needed to produce video.

With them, best just to smile and move on.

Parabordi

Visit site
Nice to hear from you.

I think you deserve a mention in the Birthday Honours just for putting up with the patronising comments. The moaners are probably less than 1 in 1000 and will have no experience of the huge amount of work involved in doing this sort of stuff and no background or understanding of the time and effort needed to produce video.

With them, best just to smile and move on.

Totally agree, they are doing an amazing job of both boats, have learnt such a lot watching them!

Shuggy

Visit site
A quick note about your strategic objectives -

"in the future we would love to do some charity work, to help improve other people’s lives, whether it be mental health, working with children, or assisting disabled people get to sea."

There are many sailing schools, charities and other benevolent organisations who run boats for commercial purposes or for social support reasons. They are required to have the vessels inspected, and the managers to have formal qualifications in e.g. sailing, first aid, safety, and social health.

I've had a look at your FB pages and cannot see much in the way of planning to achieve the required inspection and certification levels. Given that it's another 5 years before the D DDAY anniversary you have targeted (2029 ?) , I would suggest that you get hold of a decent big boat surveyor as soon as possible to give the boat a deep check to identify any significant underlying structural problems before you carry on with the superficial repairs and maintenance. Finding any inherent structural problems at this stage will save a lot of heartache and money when you are near launching.

The same applies to management certificates. They require years of building up and proof of experience. A quick chat with the RYA will give you clues as to how you have to plan for (and cost out) the various skill courses which are obligatory.

I would also suggest you talk with sailing charities, e.g.

Jolie Brise - Dauntsey's School Wiltshire

to see how efficient and organised groups manage to run marine charities.

To say that there are shallow waters and rocks ahead of your ambitions may be an analogy too far, but you do need to set project strategies well in advance, especially those where legislative requirements have to be fulfilled.
Yawn. Love throwing cold water on other people’s ambition much? Suggest you read your post again and ask how you want to be perceived online.

Shuggy

Visit site
Hello!

Gemma
You’re doing a great job. Ignore the carmudgeons on here. Your videos are great and best of luck!