What are the capabilities of a 31ft yacht

maby

Visit site
I tend to classify boats as "day boats", "weekend boats", "week boats", "month/the rest of you life boats". Our first boat was an 18 foot Caprice - that was definitely a "day boat" - we slept on it a couple of times and woke up definitely wanting to go home. Our second boat was a 27 footer - fine for a weekend, but it was getting a bit claustrophobic a few days later. We then upgraded to a 33 footer - that was a "week boat" - actually not bad for a fortnight. Now we are we are up to 43 foot - comfortable for a month, not so sure if it is a "rest of my life" boat. We looked at 57 footers at the boat show that were definitely full life-time boats.

In terms of sailing capabilities, both the 33 and 43 footers are perfectly able to complete significant open water passages. Shane Acton demonstrated that the 18 foot Caprice could cross the Pacific, but I don't think I would risk it!

jordanbasset

Visit site
We live on our Bavaria 33 from the beginning of May until the middle of October, with a month away from it in August. Ideal for the two of us. Most of our time is spent in the cockpit when not sleeping, infact we spend quite a lot of time sleeping in the cockpit:D
Would not want to live on it for 12 months, but over summer we find it is fine

Kelpie

Visit site
I tend to classify boats as "day boats", "weekend boats", "week boats", "month/the rest of you life boats". Our first boat was an 18 foot Caprice - that was definitely a "day boat" - we slept on it a couple of times and woke up definitely wanting to go home. Our second boat was a 27 footer - fine for a weekend, but it was getting a bit claustrophobic a few days later. We then upgraded to a 33 footer - that was a "week boat" - actually not bad for a fortnight. Now we are we are up to 43 foot - comfortable for a month, not so sure if it is a "rest of my life" boat. We looked at 57 footers at the boat show that were definitely full life-time boats.

In terms of sailing capabilities, both the 33 and 43 footers are perfectly able to complete significant open water passages. Shane Acton demonstrated that the 18 foot Caprice could cross the Pacific, but I don't think I would risk it!

Interesting what different people put up with.
Our 27ft boat was absolutely fine for anything up to three weeks- we'd probably have gone longer if we could have got the time off work.
The 33ft seems positively enormous. And we are still the smallest boat everywhere we go...

Sybarite

Visit site
Read about Shane Acton and Shrimpy - that was an 18 foot boat and he had virtually no experience of sailing, but he still managed to sail it right round the world and survive! The Dyes sailed an open 16 foot Wayfarer from Iceland to Scotland and lived to tell the tale...

A 31 foot yacht is certainly capable of crossing oceans - many of the ARC boats are no bigger than that each year - but it would make for a rather cramped and possibly uncomfortable trip. The deciding factor is really more the skill and resilience of the crew - in a real Atlantic storm, a 50 footer is not a lot better equipped to survive than a 30 footer.

If we are talking about exploits take Yvan Bourgnon (Laurent's brother) . He recently sailed the NW Passage in a 20' open sports catamaran. 4000nm, 70 days. He got blocked by ice for several weeks and thought he was going to die. To make matters worse his sleeping bag was blown away and he was nearly tipped into the water when a polar bear tried to climb on board.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/v...van-bourgnon-aborde-par-un-ours-blanc-5252716

He already has circumnavigated with this boat.

Last edited:

jeanne

Visit site
Mmm. We had our Caprice for 6 years and spent a month on her every summer (mainly around the Bristol Channel), but we were younger then! It was amazing the weather she put up with and could cope better than we could! Our next boat, a homebuilt 33 footer took us around the Atlantic and latterly, summers to S Ireland or Brittany in some comfort before we sailed south to the Guadiana. It´s all a matter of choice - and perhaps age!

geem

Visit site
There is one capability that a 31 footer has that no 45 or 50 footer can match and that is the ability to get a berth in a crowded med harbour.
Thats why the Caribbean is so appealing. No need to go in to a crowded hot marina. Spend life at anchor all winter when Europe is cold. Just dont leave it in the hurricane zone in the summer........

capnsensible

Visit site
Thats why the Caribbean is so appealing. No need to go in to a crowded hot marina. Spend life at anchor all winter when Europe is cold. Just dont leave it in the hurricane zone in the summer........

I like marinas in the Caribbean. They are often not very crowded and its easy to walk ashore to watch football and cricket in local bars.

:cool:

Plus if your yacht is 33 feet long, it doesnt cost much.

:encouragement:

tcm

Visit site
Hi there,

I'm looking at buying a beneteau 311 clipper but have been told to be careful as sailing a 31ft yacht in the med is "a death wish".

Can you not use a 311 to cross oceans? and by oceans I'm talking the distance from mainland spain to ibiza or from the uk to france (channel crossing)?

any advice from people who have made voyages in similar sized vessels is very welcome!

thanks!

Seb

Likely you talking-to non-sailor i think, as do all others. Fear is the biggest barrier for any boat owner to travel far and wide, in almost any boat. Med trips are always inside the range of forecasts, so check and be readu to go ....almost anywhere

Allan

Visit site
I've sailed a Moody 31 UK-Fort Lauderdale-UK and a 311 UK-Cyprus in November/December. I'm glad nobody told me it was not possible.
The 311 needed reefing earlier.
Allan

Norman_E

Visit site
In my opinion a 31 foot boat will cope well with the sailing. In the Med you may motor as much as you sail. There are strong winds and the Meltimi in the Aegean can be pretty trying for any yacht and crew. The issues with a small yacht are twofold. Lack of space makes the summer heat less bearable, but more importantly you will need to watch where you moor because you will get chartered 50 footers trying to barge their way into narrow gaps between you and the next boat on a quay without any concern for you. Having said that some good friends of mine sailed the Turkish coasts for years with a Jeanneau 32, and some other friends have a 27 footer, so it can be done with both safety and pleasure.

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
I like marinas in the Caribbean. They are often not very crowded and its easy to walk ashore to watch football and cricket in local bars.

:cool:

Plus if your yacht is 33 feet long, it doesnt cost much.

:encouragement:

If your boat is 33ft long you would propbalby want to go in a marina in some places. You cant have a nice big rib that whizzes you from a good anchorage into town without getting you and the shopping soaked. In that situation an 2hp engine and a small dink is a real pain.

capnsensible

Visit site
If your boat is 33ft long you would propbalby want to go in a marina in some places. You cant have a nice big rib that whizzes you from a good anchorage into town without getting you and the shopping soaked. In that situation an 2hp engine and a small dink is a real pain.

Why is it a pain? Wasnt for two of us in our dinghy with a 4hp engine. Plus in our cruises over there we anchored near the front....:cool:

Prefer marinas though.

Balticfly

Visit site
Hi there,

I'm looking at buying a beneteau 311 clipper but have been told to be careful as sailing a 31ft yacht in the med is "a death wish".

Can you not use a 311 to cross oceans? and by oceans I'm talking the distance from mainland spain to ibiza or from the uk to france (channel crossing)?

any advice from people who have made voyages in similar sized vessels is very welcome!

thanks!

Seb

Most depends on displacement and the keel configuration. I would sail some 30 footers round the world. I wouldnt cross Dover to Calais in a Bavaria

Tranona

Visit site
Most depends on displacement and the keel configuration. I would sail some 30 footers round the world. I wouldnt cross Dover to Calais in a Bavaria

Suggest you ask the Bavaria owners who recently sailed their boats bought in Europe back home via Cape Horn.

Little depends on displacement and hull configuration as anybody who knows what they are talking about will tell you.

Afraid your comments only illustrate your ignorance about the capabilities of boats.