What’s this contraption?

MattS

Visit site
Any ideas what this handle thing might be, found on board? Has a foam cover that looks like it’s to make it float…

looks like it’s an oversized bottle opener:p

4A82DFF5-E328-4F0E-8C29-7076D569F1A8.jpeg

Aussie farmer

Visit site
Interesting groove in the hook , looks like it should hook into something that needs rotating .
Few letters and numbers on it but can't make them out, that would probably give you the answer you seek.
It looks well used , are there any holes on board an inch or two deep ?

MattS

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions! The handle is only about a foot long, and there is nothing on the other end - so the only interesting bit is the bit in the photo. The whole handle is wrapped in what I assume is floatation foam.

After 2 years of owning the boat, I haven't yet found I was missing a tool! I haven't used the whisker pole much, or flown the cruising shoot - but can't immediately work out how it would apply to those being so short.

I'll try and work out what the letters / numbers are on it... but it's pretty worn.

BabaYaga

Visit site
The shape of the hook reminds me of something used in a modular scaffolding system.
On board the purpose must be something else, obviously…

Daydream believer

Visit site
Over ride handle for the anchor winch.
Have you had the winch changed in the past & this is the old handle.
By the way---What sort of anchor have you got?
It might not be the best for your winch. Perhaps we should advise. ;)

Last edited:

MattS

Visit site
Over ride handle for the anchor winch.
Have you had the winch changed in the past & this is the old handle.
By the way---What sort of anchor have you got?
It might not be the best for your winch. Perhaps we should advise. ;)

Windlass just takes a normal winch handle, and nothing else on it that needs a handle really.

Although now you've got me thinking that all the paint chipped off could does look like it's been whacked with metal quite a bit. Something to do with handling the anchor chain?!

MattS

Visit site
Mooring pick up?

Ooo do you mean for reaching over and grabbing a ring on the buoy? Could be.... I would have expected a slightly longer handle for that to be very useful though... I guess it's still an extension over your arm when you're hanging off the bow...

Daydream believer

Visit site
Lifting the anchor over the bow roller & into its position prior to being held with a pin.
Like I said- What sort of anchor do you have?
Does it winch into the roller easily or has it been changed in the past & the old one requiring one to lean over the pulpit & giving it a lift into place?