What’s this contraption?

Neeves

Visit site
Is it hand made, specific for something on your yacht. I might be made from bits that were laying around and the current, interesting, shape was dictated by whatever was used. I only make the suggestion at the hook looks to be welded onto the pole. If it were a production item I'd expect the hook to be screwed onto the pole, bolted through - not welded

Spinakker, whiskerpole and anchor 'puller backer' (useful technical term) seems appropriate.

It does seem well used for not having an obvious use.

If it was for a Big, CQR, Bruce it would be slotted into the shackle, the whole pulled back and a pin inserted as Daydream suggested . For this application it would be better short. - or any other of the sensible suggestions.

I chopped up some spanners to remove the water pump. Anyone who has not removed a water pump would immdeotaly wonder why I'd destroyed perfectly good spanners. I have a long socket set - I only use one (though the others would make useful spare) - to remove the props. Leave all the maintenance to your wallet and you would never know.

I'd save weight, leave it at home and then go on a 2 week cruise - somewhere distant (as already suggested)

You obviously have an anchor but do you have appropriate whisker and/or spinnaker poles - that are difficult to handle and the securing mechanism within device reach location.....?

Jonathan

greeny

Visit site
Looks to me like an old something or other that is now used to flake the anchor chain into the locker as you retrieve the chain. I had something similar on the last boat that I "manufactured" myself. Foam round the outside might be for floatation if dropped accidently and goes overboard or maybe just to stop it clunking around when left in the anchor locker.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Push / pull gizmo for a hard to reach Blakes seacock?
Extracting the bilge pump to access the strum box?
Lifting shopping bags out of the dinghy?
Deliberately left on board by previous owner to make you wonder what the hell it is for? (I have several such 'gizmos' on my new-to-me boat I'm loathe to jettison)

Poignard

Visit site
Here's my twopenn'orth:

It looks as if it might be the end of a pole used in a lightweight click-assembly scaffolding system or a queuing barrier, which some previous owner of the boat has spotted in a skip and thought "I can use that on the boat for (something or other) . . . .. I'll chop a bit off."

As regards the foam being added to make it float. I doubt it gives enough buoyancy but perhaps the OP would carry out a test on that and report back :D

Last edited:

Blueboatman

Visit site
It looks Jolly Useful
It is Component A
And when you find component B …..

I think it’s an improvised back scratcher— that can also handle muddy anchor chain ( the foam is cos the metal is chilly on a cold night )