Westsail 32

mickshep

Visit site
Any forumites out here got a Westsail 32? I really like the look of these heavy duty cruisers. Cheers, Mike.

<hr width=100% size=1>"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me."

mickshep

Visit site
I've seen the U.S sites, wondering if there is anyone in the U.K with one I could take a look at, looks to be a cracking go anywhere cruiser. Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me."

AndrewB

Visit site
Think you'll be lucky to find many in UK, we had several our own small GRP heavy double-enders when these were being built, not to mention the Contessa 32. I agree that they look like great go-anywhere boats, though with a reputation for extreme strength but slow. HERE of her going well in an estimated F9-10.

A posting on the US <A target="_blank" HREF=http://66.70.85.180/forums/genlmesg/index.pl>CWBB WEBSITE</A> would at least get you knowledgeable opinions. At least one regular there owns or has owned one.

wpsalm

Visit site
Ya I,ve got a Westsail 32....sometimes called a wetsnail or wetsail... had mine about 14 yrs its quite an old design Colin Archer originaly ...pardon my spelling on some of this. the original design was the 47 ft. Redingskote Norweigion lifeboat . then around 1920 an American designer named Atkins scaled it down 2/3 rds and called the design Eric. in the 1960s another well known American designer who,s name escapes me at the moment redesigned it for GRP construction and so the Westsail 32 was born...by the way this design in wood otherwise known as the Atkins Eric is quite famous but probably little know as Suhaily...know I did,nt spell that one right ...the boat that Sir Robin Knox Johnson single handed non stop around the world back in 1968 as for the misnomer wetsnail Knox Johnson claims a best days run of 167 miles which is not bad for a 32 ft boat as for my own experience with the boat, I have done a single handed circumnavigation with plenty of 150 mile days and singlehanded WestIndies to Europe and return. The worst weather and sea conditions I ,ve experienced with the boat was a passage from Durban to Capetown in mid winter. and I reckon its a pretty good boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mickshep

Visit site
Hi Jacket, Yup, brought a 1958 Van de Stadt 32' back from Holland last May, lovely, fast and tough, but whilst waiting to bring her back saw a Colin Archer type cutter. (I've always been a fan) Since learned she was a Westsail 32. Nearly a year on and I'm still thinking about her, so have decided to find out more. Cheers, Mike.