Westley Centaur coming out of the water question

Refueler

Visit site
A comment was made about sinkage of main underkeel blocks .. OK ... but as long as only one 'end' support is pressed - the other will not create any problem.

Why ? Sit boat on her keels and place blocks under rudder / skeg. They do not need to be hammered in - even a slight gap is ok - the idea is to prevent boat tipping. At bow - a plank with a V cut in to place against the stem far enough down the hull so that the plank placed at an angle stands without need to 'hammer' in ..
These two ends then can provide support if the boat does have any tendency to rock .... as well as allow for any sinkage.

TBH - I think too much thinking is going into this ... thousands of BK boats lift out without concern ... into grass field ... concrete .... hardcore ... tarmac yards ...

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
The only issue on hard concrete is if its not level, thus one end of one keel does not touch the ground thus putting slight twisty load on the keel frames. A single wooden wedge at the offending high corner will sort that if there is concern

Onto muddy verge as in lift out at our club, I wouldnt bother as it will settle itself in within a week or less

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Hi all
My Centaur is coming out of the water for the winter soon and I need to get some wood for her to sit on.
I am looking at railway sleepers at 100 x 200 x 2.4m. Now the specs for the Centaur same the Beam is 2.57 m.
So my question is are the sleepers just long enough for this as in this example photo.
Also how stable are Centaurs like this? Should I also have supports are the fore and aft?
View attachment 183664
I use cut up railway sleeper exactly as per your picture for my bilge keeled Konsort, as do many at my sailing club. Cut the sleeper into 4: 2 pieces at the front of the keels, 2 at the back.
Although this will be fine, my club also recommends a chock under the toe of the bow and one at the stern.