Westerly Storm vs Fulmar

smth448

Visit site
I am looking to buy a good solid cruising boat with reasonable performance and accommodation and am torn between the Westerly Fulmar and Storm. I am reasonably familiar with the Fulmar as my father owned one for many years but have never been on a Storm. I know the Storm is bigger so there is more room below which will please the boss, but how do they sail? I see they have a masthead rig with a huge genoa which I guess can make them hard work when tacking. This would probably please the boss less.
Are there any forumites out there who have owned or still do a Storm who can provide some idea as to their sailing capabilities? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Habebty

Visit site
They sail very well, depending on rig size, there is a short cruising rig and a taller performance rig. There is also the later regatta version. Friend of mine has the taller rig and very safe boat, came back from Holland in some marginal weather and it just tracked straight as an arrow. Even considered buying one. I would go for the taller rig.

Eyore

Visit site
A Tempest is actually a slightly smaller Storm and a nearer comparison to a Fulmar. I have a Tempest which is masthead rigged and has a large 150% genoa, I have large self tailers so its no problem, plus on the Tempest (and possibly the Storm ?) they are mounted inboard in such a position that winching is a doddle, tacking is easy.

Baggy

Visit site
I met a chappie on a Storm in the Canaries

Sailed there single handed from UK

Remember him saying the boat handled well in a Storm

muyuu

Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with any of these or the Typhoon. I'd focus on the price/quality of what's available in the market to be honest.

typhoonNige

Visit site
Don't discount the Typhoon. I was looking for a good Storm and found a well used Typhoon in the same price range. That was nine years ago and all is good, if a little worn in places. Its a lot more boat that the Storm so you get there that bit quicker and in a bit more comfort. We are currently cruising the Grenadines - no regrets at all. PM me if you want to know more about the Typhoon...

brainstorm

Visit site
Hi smth 448. I have one of the last Storms ever built, and took delivery of her in late 1992. A no 2 or no3 Genoa is quite adequate for general cruising. We fitted a Hydrovane to do the AZAB in 1999 and have since cruised to the Azores again and a separate trip to Tenerife and back. We have clocked up over 20,000 miles in 20 years But slowing down now. Two minor faults...they normally list slightly to stbd when moored, easily corrected by moving batteries and fitting extra water tank to port. Also beware when motoring in reverse, go slowly or the tiller will shear to one side. Something about an unbalanced rudder evidently. Otherwise 9/10 but the Fulmar is good too although much less accommodation.

Concerto

Visit site
The major difference besides being a larger volume hull, the Storm layout is more modern with an aft double cabin and aft loo compartment.

I considered buying a Storm, but after some advice decided on Fulmar. What swung it for me was the ¾ rig as I sail singlehanded, but I did not need to please my wife as she does not sail.

The only time I sailed against a Storm, I walked away from it up wind. Only recently did I learn the owner is new to sailing and his wife does not like the boat heeling. So not a fair comparison.

Your wife will probably choose the Storm for the better accomodation over a Fulmar. In reality you could also add the Ocean 33 to your list of choices, provided you can find one in budget.

ditchcrawler

Visit site
I have sailed on a friends Storm in Holland ,Germany,France and UK.It is a first class boat and comfortable down below.He single hands sometimes and has a 110% jib as it is a lot easier to tack.There is no noticeable drop in performance compared to the 150% genny except in light airs, but then you may be motoring anyway.

doug748

Visit site
I am a refugee from the "dip the rope" thread next door and know nothing of Westerly boats but I have seen them so:

Don't know what I would pick either. It seems to me the Storm is excellent downstairs, the aft cabin/heads is the gold standard on small boats if you have more than two on board ditto a C shaped dinette which is welcoming and gets people to sit out of the road thus making the saloon less restrictive. Set against that the chart table is more of a shelf and I think the Fulmar galley is better.

The Storm, in my experience as an observer, is also a league up in terms of flat water, inshore speed but the big rig is certainly more demanding to sail. The suggestions on cruising with a small genoa sound good to me. A friend has just put a new rudder on his with a degree of balance to help the helm in sharp conditions - however he is a keen racer and probably hangs on to canvas more than most.

Look at some of each and the one you want will speak to you - if it does not the missus certainly will

Vegable

Visit site
Have a look at the Westerly Wiki and the Westerly Owners Association (WOA) web sites. You can post on their forum, look at descriptions of the boats and you can also ring up member owners who have the two boats you're interested in and have voluteered to advise about their boats. I'm a died in the wool Westerly man but have not sailed in either so can't really comment. I have sailed in a Typhoon from Howth to Plymouth via the Scillies and was very impressed with it but as it has wide decks it doesn't have the usual room below associated with Westerlys.
There are 3000 members of the WOA so someone will be able to advise you.
Mike

Steve_N

Visit site
We had a Storm for 7 or years and loved it.
Some random thoughts and memories..
- I'd echo the comments above about the list to starboard. Fuel tank and batteries are on the starboard size as is that big cockpit locker. Sortable though and may not bother you anyway.
- weather helm would build up pretty quickly and we would put in the first reef in that big mainsail at about 16kts. to keep the helm balanced.
- used to slam a fair bit
- superb handling in reverse! I used to turn and reverse down into the marina and swing gracefully backwards into my berth, stepping casually ashore. Wouldn't dare to try that in my present boat.
- Ed Dubois really nailed the design for the companionway area in my opinion. Sitting in between the two walls created by the heads and aft cabin, perched up on the teak grating was one of the nicest and most secure places to be, with those big winches to hand.
- tall but narrow sprayhood - easy to see around but didn't offer much protection to those in the cockpit either.

I still wish sometimes that I'd moved up its big brother the Typhoon rather than the big heavy centre cockpit 37 footer that I did. Perhaps one day..

I have the original Storm specification and brochure plus a magazine test report if the OP would like a scanned copy.

smth448

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am going to look at a Storm this weekend. The boss seems to be very much in favour as it looks more comfortable below. I just hope she can work the winched for that big genoa. Only time will tell if I need a 110% jib.

stoker_3rd_class

Visit site
I've sailed on and helped to maintain a Storm for the last 12 years or so. They are great sea boats, have sailed many long passages, once down as far a Santander and always thought that I'd give up before the Storm would.

One thing to look out for, that's not been mentioned yet, is the head lining. The foam backing breaks down and then the vinyl start to hang down in places, particularly in the open storage areas above and behind the saloon seating. The head lining can be replaced and pre-cut panels for the more complicated bits are still available (or were about 5 years ago) but it's a fiddly and time consuming job.

doug748

Visit site
.......................... I just hope she can work the winched for that big genoa. Only time will tell if I need a 110% jib.

Good man, put her on a course of training.

I have a big genoa and cruising it is mostly no problem at all. Coming out of harbour and short tacking I just get rid of most of it, you will want forward vision anyway. Forget questions of efficiency you will progress quite happily. At sea you generally sheet it in and that's it for a good while.

It can be a different matter if you are racing, hacking upwind, over pressed and tacking towards a mark, in which case you would probably have a crew who can pull it in and earn their keep.

Concerto

Visit site
One thing to look out for, that's not been mentioned yet, is the head lining. The foam backing breaks down and then the vinyl start to hang down in places, particularly in the open storage areas above and behind the saloon seating. The head lining can be replaced and pre-cut panels for the more complicated bits are still available (or were about 5 years ago) but it's a fiddly and time consuming job.

All Westerlies suffer from the well known Westerly droop where the foam breaks down after 25 to 30 years. Kits are available for all Westerlies from the original suppliers Hawke House. Here is the link for the Storm kit, http://www.hawkehouse.co.uk/misc/storm-kits.html.

DavidWilb

Visit site
In the spirit of the 'mystery house' you may consider an MG335. Similiar size, very easy to sail esp with self tacking jib and a nice tiurn of speed. Somewhat lighter but nice accomod below. Slightly biased as have had one for past ten years and it has sailed very well and handled all manner of weather. Currently looking to change for a DS.

muyuu

Visit site
All Westerlies suffer from the well known Westerly droop where the foam breaks down after 25 to 30 years. Kits are available for all Westerlies from the original suppliers Hawke House. Here is the link for the Storm kit, http://www.hawkehouse.co.uk/misc/storm-kits.html.

Honestly I'm not a fan of the lining in the first place. I was thinking in using wood panels or bamboo rolls like I've seen some projects in the net.

See:

http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/westerlywiki/index.php?title=Headlining

http://www.hastie.org.uk/headlining.html

http://www.photoshopshowcase.com/ViewFlashMedia.aspx?AID=344395&AT=3

http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/woaforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1713

Concerto

Visit site
If you were looking for a Westerly and you had a choice of two in identical condition and specification. One had the foam back vinyl replaced with more foam vinyl and the other had bamboo or bamboo panels. Which would you choose?

A couple of years ago I saw a Fulmar for sale online in Holland, it had ply wood panels throughout. It looked neat, but it just did not look right.