Westerly Oceanlord

G

This is on my list of possibles for extended cruising (Med , Atlantic and beyond). 100K ish budget. SHorthanded as their will be just the 2 of us. Any opinions or experiences ?

Any other reccomendations ?

Regards

Andy

G

We sail an Oceanranger the little brother, when the tough gets going westerly build quality will keep you safe, I did an atlantic crossing in 99 and meet a couple on a Lord it took then a while due to poor winds etc lowering boat speed, if you have the wind then they will roll of the miles, average stowage of fuel and water combined with sensible layouat above and below decks make then a good ocean going vessel. I beleive that there is on for sale in Southampton that should have done the round the world rally but in the end didn't your sort of buget with new kit, I Have to say that I have nothing to to with the sale of that vessel. You could always try the WOA for any advice and a chap at trafalger yacht services in Gosport called dave has a load of experience, speak to him. All the best. I would also recommend a HR 36 probably a bit more pricey by hey they are the Dog Bollo*. If you are sailing short handed a would suggest a rig that is easily managable by 2 people and which withstand large relative increases in wind strength ie good heavy boats. I would tend to avoid the French Connection if at all possibe and prehaps the Bavarias, they do offer exceptional valve for money but at the end of the day they are extremely light boats, crossing oceans you want to depend on ruggedness not good inshore performance, its better to get to the destination prehaps a bit slower everytime but to actually get there at all.

G

Too much money for too little boat. Why are you not looking at new vessels for 20-30%less and just as capable?

Peter Gibbs Westerly owner 1985-98

G

It's not just the boat, it's the crews teeth too don't forget.

The motion is discretely different. Fine for a day or two I'll wager, but a three week passage?

G

Quite agree Andy. The Westerly will probably have a sea kindly motion that won't wear out the crew on a long passage especially to windward. Mind you if you look at the boats that competed in this years' ARC Rally, there were plenty of light-medium displacement boats crossing the Atlantic successfully.

G

Well having done three transatlantics in the last 18 months I have meet several yachts which came from different stables and I can tell you of not vessels that have been lost but major rig problems, snapped goosefittings at the mast, chainplate problems etc etc. I wasn't speaking generally in a darogatory manor about light displacement yachts, but the point about how many did the ARC is not well placed as the trade wind crossing is probably one of the most easiest to do in November. How many light displacements yachts have done uppper and lower latitiude sailing or sounthern ocean crossings, not many I think. Also heavy boats tend to cost more money and this is why our french and german cousins have cornered the market.

G

Exactly as you say Andy Like what exactly, and not boats that have been or will be for sale but yacht that you can buy today, that are Good Value for Money....

G

As a matter of interest, how many Bavarias or French cruiser racers have fallen apart crossing the Atlantic ?

G

Re: Westerly Oceanlord and Jack Rolfe

Andy,

I am pretty sure the light vs heavy displacement debate above is not going to help you much. The concept that boats are best bought by the tonne is, of course, the line that traditional boat builders have favoured and pressed for many years as a means of defending their slow and expensive building practices (Westerly being a good example). "If you don't have at least 40% balast to displacement, you'd better stay in the marina, melad".

So mid-continental yachts, relying more on form stability than the traditional HR's and other Scandinavians are tut tutted as not up to the job. Where is the objective support for these assertions? It's mostly marketing hype, and has been fostered by the mag reviews for years - a real disgrace to the sport, but another topic for another BB.

These "ideals" rank along with long vs short keels, skeg hung rudders, half a dozen anchors in the locker, and more recently, good old dependable hanks and halyards vs inmast furling. Unsailorly design! dear boy! What a yawn!

What seems to slip out of the side door is good old fashioned reason. Look at the boat that our Ellen made it round the earth in, all alone - I have! Consider the materials used, the design work, the form stability etc. Yacht design has come such a long way in a relatively short time, and it spills into new production boat design all the time. New boats are safer today than they have ever been - the evidence is abundant! Design for ease of handling and short handing is everywhere to see, because this is the market, as are full galleys and real heads. It's not a sign of constructional fragility, or emasculation of the sport- cruising is no longer a testosterone / macho activity for the men of the house alone; women are there in large numbers too. Convenience above and below decks is now essential, not an optional factor.

HR's look good, in a classic way - who could deny it, but you don't need half a baulk of teak strewn across the deck to make an ocean passage. It is a travesty for anyone to feel pressured into rejecting "modern" designs in favour of older conservative concepts. They could well be missing out big time.

Peter Gibbs

G

How many yachtsmen have done Southern Ocean crossings or upper and lower latitude sailing ? Not many I think.How many want to ?

G

There have been a few open 60\'s in the Southern Ocean recently!!(nm)

G

Have owned an Oceanlord for three years now, mainly just sailed by myself and wife. Have carried out many mods, including fitting holding tank etc. If you would like to discuss further send us an e mail. at above.

G

Re: Westerly Oceanlord and Jack Rolfe

Hi Andy!

A chap in Brighton has taken his Westerly to the carribean every year since I have been using the Place. Seem that he copes OK (single handed) Regards Rob