Westerly headlining

rumtoddy1

Visit site
Good morning

I am replacing the headlining on my westerly due to "the droop". I have stripped the lining from the fore cabin and cleaned off much of the foam but I am left with patches of sticky glue that I would like to remove before applying the new covering (EVA foam and non foam backed vinyl).

Any suggestions on a fibreglass safe glue removal product?

pioneer

Visit site
Good morning

I am replacing the headlining on my westerly due to "the droop". I have stripped the lining from the fore cabin and cleaned off much of the foam but I am left with patches of sticky glue that I would like to remove before applying the new covering (EVA foam and non foam backed vinyl).

Any suggestions on a fibreglass safe glue removal product?
i suggest you speak to Hawkhouse in Gosport. They can supply all your headlining needs incl. pre-made/stitched pieces bespoke to Westerly's and they are helpful, friendly people. Used them quite a few times over the years and always been impressed.

Concerto

Visit site
If replacing with the same material of foam backed vinyl, then you do not need to remove all the old adhesive as long as it is not lumpy. That is what Hawkehouse advised me when I asked the same question. You may find my presentation of reling my Fulmar forward cabin worth looking at. One point I will make if using the Hawkehouse adhesives is there is a limited time to be able to reposition any vinyl, something I found out be chance.

https://wiki.westerly-owners.co.uk/images/1/17/Vinyl_Headling_Concerto_PowerPoint.pdf

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
One of these on an angle grinder worked very well on my Griffon.

Amazon.co.uk

Horrible job though.
Wear lots of PPE including a full face mask...
i used disc like these on an angle grinder when i got my boat. doesnt harm the fiberglass but so so soooo much dust. works fantastic though at removing old foam and residue. i now have new headlining throughout the boat since 2018 which started lifting in one or two places already but looks good still. the discs are usually called Polycarbide discs

Refueler

Visit site
I removed the old foam-backed lining ... and I had same ...

I just brushed and scraped till all was of similar and no significant lumps / bumps.

I then used Van Lining cut to the old vinyl template + small margin ... the Van Lining actually stretches a bit in all directions so is easy to mold to curves etc.

I will never go back to Vinyl .... the Van Lining is so nice to the touch and easy to clean ...

I bought mine as a pack ... 20m roll + 10 tins of High Heat Self-Adhesive Spray ... loads of sellers on eBay ...

Before scraping ...

n7ASXKFl.jpg

After :

xLZIDcVl.jpg

Looks awful ... but Van Lining applied :

DHGaejPl.jpg

I was really dreading the job - had visions of making mistakes ... cutting wrong ..... but in the end - it was much easier than imagined.