Westerly Discus or Moody 336

S

Skyva_2

Might be hard to find people who can make a direct comparison, but having once owned a 336 for 10 years, you would be pushed to get better sailing qualities, build and accommodation. The headroom in the aft cabin was the only small disadvantage.

MoodySabre

Visit site
The recent PBO series on Moody models compares the 336 to Westerley Storm rather than the Discus. The Discus is a bit older. The aft cabin on the 336 is huge. As the 336 is a larger version of a Moody 31 I am prejudiced - want one, want one. Both the 336 and Discus in fairly short supply.

The 336 is a much more modern boat and is probably £15- £20k more than a Discus.

davidej

Visit site
I sailed a lot in a friends Westerly 33 which, I think is a discus with a different interior layout.

It was a ketch with in-mast furling main. it was great in a blow but needed a bit of wind to get it going.

david

matelot

Visit site
Just sold a 336 and still wondering what I've done. Its a cracking sailing boat - and in fin keel form is a similar handicap to a Sigma 33 ie a cruiser racer. That said, it seemed to me to be a good sea boat too. Never been out in mine in more than 30/35kn but it handled that very well. In short I would expect it to beat the pants off the Discus in sailing terms.

Build quality is a different matter. Mine gave no problems but I would take some convincing that build quality was more than average. Better than the AWBs but not a Vancouver or a Swede.

Accommodation first class. Cockpit is uncomfortable or at least I found it so.

In short you can regard the 336 as being a half way step from the old floating caravans that Moody built towards the French style better sailing but much lighter built boats. A good compromise.

Mudplugger

Visit site
No arguments about needing a bit of wind to get going, with a Discus Ketch, but around 15knots, never had any problems pulling away from a Moody, /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and much to a lot of peoples suprise, able to point a bit higher as well. Don't know a lot about the 336, but the Discus was built like a brick outhouse and weighs in substantially heavier, around 8t,. Fantastic seaboat, looks after you in weather that you really don't want to be out in. Had one for 15 years and in many way's regret saying goodbye! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Robin will be along soon and give you the benefit of his viewpoint....

Robin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Robin will be along soon and give you the benefit of his viewpoint....

[/ QUOTE ]

Enter stage left..

We had a W33 ketch or 14 years and the Discus was the same hull with an aft cockpit and stern cabin under a high bridge deck version, although I think 6 were built as a Discus Centre Cockpit with this time a walk (read crawl) through to the stern cabin. The aft cockpit ones were all sloop rigged, the centre cockpit ones mostly ketches.

We tweaked our W33 with good sails including fully battened main and also mizzen, matched with a biradial roller genoa, plus we also added a rigid kicker and revised mainsheet and mizzen sheeting. We had the fin keel version which was substantially better than the twin keel version being faster on all points not just upwind, we know because we sailed several hundreds of miles in company with the twin keel version who would motorsail periodically to catch up. The Westerly has a long waterline (28'10" IIRC) which helps with speed and yes it's handicap was similar to a Sigma 33 which is much faster to windward especially in light conditions but in heavier ones or off the wind the extra waterline length with the W33 hull could more than hold it's own.

As already said, the Westerly is a much heavier boat than the Moody and is also roomier down below. As a long distance cruiser the Westerly would win hands down in my book. The Moody is prettier below perhaps and some think they are more up market, not me though.

As to performance comparisons with our ketch version we only once sailed in company with a fin keeled 336 and that was a roughish trip off the wind in SW6 from St Peter Port to Cherbourg when we arrived ahead of the Moody which had the engine on as well 'to help it through the rough seas' from Alderney Race down past Cap De La Hague, at least that was their story when I asked.

So it depends what the OP wants from a boat.

Andrew_Palmer

Visit site
Interesting, I narrowed my own choice down to pretty much the same boats, for me it was Discus or Moody 34. I bought the Discus and she is a fine boat. To my mind the build quality is far superior to the Moody both in terms of equipment and down below although some would disagree on the down below. Grab hold of the pushpit and pullpit of each boat and look at the strength of the mountings, same goes for the deck cleats etc.. Jump up and down on the decks! The Discus is a stronger boat alltogether. The one thing which I really wish the Discus had is the Moody's aft cabin which was palacial and the rather cramped aft cabin of the Discus is one of the snags. The other minot irritation I find is that the backstay gets in the way of the steering position of the Discus but overall I am very happy with my choice. The Discus of course is cheaper.

PeteCooper

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
never had any problems pulling away from a Moody, /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and much to a lot of peoples suprise, able to point a bit higher as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming similar standards of helming and sail trim, the 336 is a lot quicker than a Discus.