West Scotland Marinas

zvidoron

Visit site
Going next month on a West Scotland marina tour looking for a place to keep a 26' sailing boat. Two areas will be looked at - from inner Clyde all the way down to Troon, and from Oban all the way down to Crinan canal. All in all some 12 marinas.

The plan is to buy a house nearby and work locally within a couple of years (job offers welcome...).

Recommendations and positive or negative experiences would be appreciated. Prices, security, services, and comments on the sailing grounds that can be reached from the two areas. And of course the weather and the infamous midges.

Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

billmacfarlane

Visit site
There's an article in this month's Sai;ing Today about sailing up the Clyde. It lists some of the Clyde marina and what facilities they offer. Might be worth having a look at.

<hr width=100% size=1>

JimMcMillan

Visit site
Those of us that work and live in central scotland tend to keep our boats in the clyde and holiday on the west coast.They are two distinctive cruising areas.The two main marinas are Largs and Inverkip.Both are major marinas with all facillities but more important both are at the heart of the cruising area(Clyde).On the west the one that springs to mind is Ardfern as this is at the start of the cruising area, but they many places to keep a boat including many sheltered anchorages.

<hr width=100% size=1>

nordic_ranger

Visit site
In my opinion Kip Marina Inverkip on the Clyde justly earns it's boast as Scotlands premier marina. It has a sister marina on the West coast 'Croabh' pronouced cruve Not far from Oban excellent and scenic cruising grounds from both. Both owned by Holt Leisure Parks Ltd. Look at http://www.kipmarina.co.uk/

Jim

<hr width=100% size=1>

ronniewood

Visit site
Beg to differ about Kip which I think is a bit characterless, as consider Largs has better shoreside facilities and offers greater access to a wider range of weekend sailing destinations. Also now supported by the excellent facilities of Largs Sailing Club for dinghy sailors which is attracting a number of national events that give a good buzz to the place. Dad can have his cruiser and the kids can learn to sail properly!.

I agree about Ardfern for the West Coast although Croabh comes close.

Check out www.bluemoment.com for a good guide to marinas and anchorages

As for the midges - well it's not a constant problem but on the bad days stay on the water!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc

Visit site
Much sense spoken so far, but here's my two-penny worth...

The West Argyll marinas, Dunstaffnage, Ardfern Croabh etc are really fine but a bit of a trek from the Central Belt. So looking at the Clyde I would agree Kip and Largs are favourite, easily accessible and with good facilities, boaty and social. Handy too for the good cruising areas around Bute, the Cumbraes and Loch Fyne.

But there's a price to pay and berths are always in demand.

Further North and Rhu is not quite so well placed. Holy Loch marina is fairly new . Friendly folk and not (at last count) part of a big group. Spectacular setting, but you are into a ferry journey to Dunoon from the motorways.

South to Clyde Marina at Ardrossan. Owned by Clydeport. Lots of pontoons with repair facilities and a small chandlery. Entrance is controlled because of the Arran ferry which can mean a short wait. In the past Clyde has suffered from security problems (no perimeter fence and its on a short cut from town to the ferry terminal rail halt) but that should improve with redevelopment of the surrounding area which has just got underway.

For many Troon is a bit far away from the main Clyde cruising area but is better placed for rounding the Mull, Ireland etc. In the last five years it has become a fast ferry terminal for Belfast (Seacat) and the P&O freight ferry operation. There are plans for a second fast ferry (HSS). Its one of the only remaining working fishing ports on the Clyde, all of which can make life interesting. Good onshore facilities and close to the town.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Re: As a South Coast sailor

I found Rhu friendly scenic and secure but the facilities like toilets & showers where poor. Chandlers, Boat Hoist, Support Services seemed up to snuff but no bar. You have a short walk up to the nearby hotel for a pint.

Largs was better equiped for us southern softies. The walk to town was very pleasant too. Though the town itself had a touch of 60's planning blight about it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

cameronke

Visit site
Re: West Scotland Marinas...let you in on a secret

I would not hesitate to recommend the Dunoon area to meet your requirements. Foremost has to be the quality of life, probably second to none for a cost concious sailor. Very affordable housing amid spectacular scenery. The Holy Loch Marina is a very up and coming facility with a very friendly and helpful chandlery. There are two excellent clubs; the Holy loch club is a very competative club with a healthy complement of dingies and smaller keelboats such as Pipers and Flying Fifteens. Seven miles south is Toward Sailing Club (http://www.towardsc.org). This is a superb social club with some keen racers. I live on the south eastern tip of Cowal. I have a light house (Toward Point) at the bottom of my garden and am surrounded on three sides by water. My sailing club is less than a mile away and I keep my 22 foot E-Boat through the winter in the secure club boat store which is lit with power for approx £120. Summer moorings are supplied and mantained by the club for about £120. We are right on the doorstep of the best sailing waters in the Clyde. Rothesay is 2 miles Largs about 7, Tignabruach about 7miles and the famous Kyles of Bute start virtually at our club. These are moderately sheltered waters amid spectacular scenery that can get quite lively with a good south westerly. Yes you need to make a short ferry crossing but the ferries (Western Ferries, Clyde) are frequent and reliable and in my opinion part of the experience. Glasgow Airport is half an hour up the M8 from the ferry and believe me there is no better way of unwinding than the twenty minute crossing. It feels very much like an intimate island culture. Any way I could rant and rave all day. Next week is the club launching day and I for one have been waiting all winter to get back out there...8 days and counting....

<hr width=100% size=1>

whisper

Visit site
As others have said, Inverkip & Largs are typical of the larger type of marina found in the rest of the UK. If you like that sort of thing ,fine. The Clyde is a far busier and more sociable sailing area than the far West by virtue of its easier access to populated areas. The sailing is in beautiful surroundings that are relatively protected, sea state wise, and which need less attention to the working of tides etc.
Craobh, Ardfern, Dunstaffnage etc are more difficult to get to by land but offer sailing with a wider challenge and diversity, glorious scenery and relative solitude. Because of the geography and many islands, you always seem to be able to take alternative routes to fit in with prevailing and projected wind direction. You also have to be more self sufficient in this area and "facilities" are spread very thinly. I don't know but I would expect that the farther West or North West you go the cheaper the mooring costs will be.

I suppose that your choice will depend on what your priorities really are.
I suspect however that there would be more chance of getting employment close to the Clyde.

Whichever part of the West Coast you choose, you will be in the Uk's best
cruising area IMHO. I'm envious!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jwatson

Visit site
Dunstaffnage has a good few advantages. 1.5 hours from Glasgow, a few miles from Oban (pop. 8,000), relatively cheap housing, job prospects, fantastic sailing and friendly environment.
I am probably a bit biased though coming from Oban.....

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
This is not boaty but

the Gaelic speaking poet Ian Crichton Smith lived outside Oban. About 20 years ago a pal took me round to his house. He read Deer on the High Country and we drank Drambuie (something I wouldn't normally touch). Fantastic. I've had a soft spot for Oban ever since.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BlackSheep

Visit site
What's Going on here!!!???? are you lot all mad? Stop telling everyone how good it is up here..... ! It's not, Honest, It never stops raining, you get eaten alive by midges, there are icebergs in the Clyde until August and the beer is crap!!! If you don't stop all this nonsense the place will end up like the Solent on a Sunday afternoon!!! and I'll actually have to do some work!!!!!

The Grumpy Coastie!!

<hr width=100% size=1>