West Mersea visiting

D&T

Visit site
In the past I have called either the Yacht Club or Launchman on their mobile number to book a buoy when we plan to visit West Mersea.

Last year I found that the mobile number for the Launchman was rarely answered and the YC did not take bookings. The only way I could get a buoy was to call Channel 37 when enroute, which is far from ideal

This year I need to book a few buoys for a Club rally and am having the same problem. I was told today by the YC today that there is never a problem getting a buoy other than Mersea Week.

I don't feel relaxing in telling other Club Member to assume that there will be a buoy.

I am planning on visiting at the end of May Bank Holiday and would expect it to be fairly busy.

Can anyone offer any advise.? Has anyone not been able to get a buoy?

Thanks for any insights

tillergirl

Visit site
This seems negative but is attempting to answer your questions.

The launchman is forbidden to answer the phone while actually operating the launch. That is why it is dificult to get an answer. If the call coincides while he is tied up at the Hammerhead, he can and will take the call. There was a circumstance that prompted the rule.

There are no visitor's moorings at West Mersea but generally there are plenty of vacant moorings while users are away, indeed in some years some moorings are unoccupied. Except as Mersea Week which is a little 'manic'. The launchmen cannot book moorings because it is impossible to know in advance who will be away; approaching individual mooring users as to their movements - there are hundreds - is practically impossible. We are also at that stage of the year when it is difficult to know just how many moorings are going to be vacant all season. Quite a few are still not launched for the season but how many are going to be still ashore in June or not being launched at all or even moorings unused for the season is unknown.

To positives.

On the day, the launchmen, Harry, Zac, Jack or Lennie would do their very best to accommodate visitors and they will have a good view of the situation on a week by week basis. Today there were plenty of vacant moorings and personally I don't think all the moorings will be occupied by new launchings in the week ahead. The majority of the vacancies at in Salcot Creek and Mersea Fleet which I appreciate aren't the most popular with visitors. I would be very surprised if you were not able to be accommodated. How many are you anticipating?

RivalRedwing

Visit site
The slight vagaries of a non-booking system is something the yachting community should treasure. Far better that than a formal system where everything is 'booked' in advance and then accompanied by no-shows for all sorts of 'genuine' reasons, which brings the whole process to a paralysis. If organising a trip and the berthing host says there will be room then just believe them, they have the experience and will look after you.

D&T

Visit site
This seems negative but is attempting to answer your questions.

The launchman is forbidden to answer the phone while actually operating the launch. That is why it is dificult to get an answer. If the call coincides while he is tied up at the Hammerhead, he can and will take the call. There was a circumstance that prompted the rule.

There are no visitor's moorings at West Mersea but generally there are plenty of vacant moorings while users are away, indeed in some years some moorings are unoccupied. Except as Mersea Week which is a little 'manic'. The launchmen cannot book moorings because it is impossible to know in advance who will be away; approaching individual mooring users as to their movements - there are hundreds - is practically impossible. We are also at that stage of the year when it is difficult to know just how many moorings are going to be vacant all season. Quite a few are still not launched for the season but how many are going to be still ashore in June or not being launched at all or even moorings unused for the season is unknown.

To positives.

On the day, the launchmen, Harry, Zac, Jack or Lennie would do their very best to accommodate visitors and they will have a good view of the situation on a week by week basis. Today there were plenty of vacant moorings and personally I don't think all the moorings will be occupied by new launchings in the week ahead. The majority of the vacancies at in Salcot Creek and Mersea Fleet which I appreciate aren't the most popular with visitors. I would be very surprised if you were not able to be accommodated. How many are you anticipating?
Thank you for your detailed reply, very much appreciated.

I understand the reason for change of policy regarding answering the mobile phone when under way, but it would be good if they answered voicemails when they have the opportunity.

We are only looking for 3 buoys on the BH weekend (Sunday)

tillergirl

Visit site
It so happened that I was running video yesterday. I have just counted over 50 vacant moorings, over 40 in Salcot yesterday. Mersea Fleet had half a dozen vacant. I regret I didn't pay attention on the run back into Thornfleet but there were a few.

I am apt to bad luck but I would be amazed if you had any trouble. Any vacant close-in moorings would be offered first and filled first but there is no trouble in Salcot - just a bit of a distance.

PS, if you arrive at nighttime beware of the sunken ketch in the Quarters.

Image3 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

Sad business. Note the last starboard hand buoy (unlit) inward is the buoy on the left. Ample room on the other side.

Last edited:

Ianqv

Visit site
Dear All,

We are planning on visiting West Mersea (and staying over night) this coming weekend.
We have a couple of questions if anyone can help out...
When we call on channel 37 - who do we call?
What time does the launch boat operate from and to? does anyone have their number? or do we call them on the VHF?

And perhaps the most important question.. where to eat in the evening?

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Ian

tillergirl

Visit site
YC1 (say 'Why-See-One), use 37, don't use the phone, they are not to answer the phone while operating the launches.

Monday 1st May – Sunday 1st October
Monday – Thursday 0830 – 1300, 1400 – 1730 (one launch)
Friday – Sunday 0830 – 1830 (two launches)
Bank Holidays 0830 – 1830

You may be able to negotiate up to 2100 Friday to Sundays (not sure if that applies to members or visitors - I'll ask today)

tillergirl

Visit site
Sorry, missed the eats. The Yacht Club serves meals, Coast Inn, Company Shed (Sea food - bring your own drink). There is a seafood unit and tables just before the Victory Boatyard (has a good reputation), and another one at the Victory Pub. Then in the village opposite the Church is the White Hart, might need reservations. There is an Indian restaurant (the Tistash) 50 yards further past the White Hart. There are cafes and take-aways.

johnalison

Visit site
I think the ability to just turn up a pick a buoy is useful, but I understand the OP’s anxiety at organising a rally and the need to keep his members happy. It does seem odd that there is no provision for this contingency.

tillergirl

Visit site
I am not sure why this is odd. This is a harbour comprising two boatyards, two clubs, major oyster fishermen, an active inshore fishing industry, several leisure water businesses (i never counted how many), moorings from 5 major sources and umpteen other sources. There is no water taxi but the WMYC runs one or two launches to ferry members to and from their boats. If available a launch will suggest a mooring and give lifts ashore. Any fees collected for moorings do not go to the mooring supplier but contributes to the provision of ATON. It all works because everyone gets on with everybody else. If a club wants a club to club visit which means racing/cruising and/or dining/entertaining in the Club House, the Yacht Club does organise those things (Race Officers, Courses, employing extra Club House staff). The launch chaps (they are all chaps at the moment) do their best around their responsibilities and often go beyond.

johnalison

Visit site
I am not sure why this is odd. This is a harbour comprising two boatyards, two clubs, major oyster fishermen, an active inshore fishing industry, several leisure water businesses (i never counted how many), moorings from 5 major sources and umpteen other sources. There is no water taxi but the WMYC runs one or two launches to ferry members to and from their boats. If available a launch will suggest a mooring and give lifts ashore. Any fees collected for moorings do not go to the mooring supplier but contributes to the provision of ATON. It all works because everyone gets on with everybody else. If a club wants a club to club visit which means racing/cruising and/or dining/entertaining in the Club House, the Yacht Club does organise those things (Race Officers, Courses, employing extra Club House staff). The launch chaps (they are all chaps at the moment) do their best around their responsibilities and often go beyond.
I have great respect for West Merseans and the place generally, but I don’t know of other places with facilities to receive visiting clubs but where berthing or mooring can’t be booked. It’s a few years since I was able to visit with my club but I’m sure that we had booked moorings then.

Other threads that may be of interest