West coast of Scotland liveaboard are we mad ?

jimmcgee

Visit site
Having just returned from 6 weeks in the Clyde I feel I must plagarise the comment made about San Francisco.

"The coldest winter I ever spent was June and most of July in the Clyde"

It was awful. The scenery might be spectacular, but we rarely saw it through the rain and mist.

The locals say if you can see the hills it is going to rain. If you cant see the hills its already raining....................

I stay next to the Clyde , as long as you get the correct day :p for summer then the Clyde is stunning :encouragement:

andymacg

Visit site
Im still here and just thought I would give you a small update, still looking for the right boat viewed several over the past few weekends but they didnt feel right, going on holiday next week down to the south west coast of Wales so might have a nose round a few marina's and see whats available down there and allow for transport back up north on the price
as for the mooring I'm still looking

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Hi

Wondered how you got along, did you find a boat? We are also looking for a boat & aiming to liveaboard in Scotland.

I doubt you'll get a reply from the OP as his most recent post was about 18 months ago. I don't think that he has logged on for around 9 months so pm wouldn't fare any better. You might be lucky and get a reply from someone else with recent knowledge that's relevant.

Last edited:

GTom

Visit site
We wintered in Largs Marina. Thin ice on the water but the boat was warm. One or two other live aboards at the time.
Sorry to revive an ancient thread - never been so far North in Winter, are other marinas on the Clyde icing too?

dunedin

Visit site
This is an ancient thread! But we have wintered our boat afloat at Largs for the past 14 years or so and never had ice in the water. In a couple of the most severe winters had seen superficial surface ice at Kip - as it has a freshwater stream running into it. Ditto Tarbert Loch Fyne.
But we are not liveaboard - daysails in mid winter then home to warm house.

GTom

Visit site
This is an ancient thread! But we have wintered our boat afloat at Largs for the past 14 years or so and never had ice in the water. In a couple of the most severe winters had seen superficial surface ice at Kip - as it has a freshwater stream running into it. Ditto Tarbert Loch Fyne.
But we are not liveaboard - daysails in mid winter then home to warm house.
Sounds good, thank you!

grandpaboat

Visit site
I used to live on my boat in Bowling Harbour during the week when I worked in Scotsoun for 5 years. At that time (20 yrs ago) there were a number of us doing it and quite a good little community. The best thing I did was install a Refleks diesel stove which I ran 24 hrs a day keeping the boat snug and dry at an economic rate. Mind you red diesel was 25p/ltd then.
More recently I've wintered my current boat on the Crinan Canal. That did freeze over however there was always an inch or so of water not frozen around the hull.
I would suggest a problem in marina's would be rattling haliards in winter gales.

cherod

Visit site
I used to live on my boat in Bowling Harbour during the week when I worked in Scotsoun for 5 years. At that time (20 yrs ago) there were a number of us doing it and quite a good little community. The best thing I did was install a Refleks diesel stove which I ran 24 hrs a day keeping the boat snug and dry at an economic rate. Mind you red diesel was 25p/ltd then.
More recently I've wintered my current boat on the Crinan Canal. That did freeze over however there was always an inch or so of water not frozen around the hull.
I would suggest a problem in marina's would be rattling haliards in winter gales.
used to be a nice little community in Bowling ,, unfortunatly all changed there now and the outer harbour was a mess last time i looked , about 8 years ago ,, shame really,