Webasto Heating Problem (sorry more heating qu's!)

Jonny_H

www.freewebs.com
Webasto Heating Problem (sorry more heating qu\'s!)

When we got the boat the Webasto heater was described in the inventory as 'in need of service'.
We dutifully got it taken off the boat and serviced - the unit was actually sent back to Webasto by the engineer and it needed a new controller (at a cost of £300!).
Anyway - all back on and working tickety boo!

However, a couple of months later and we have a problem. The unit runs its fan when turned on, but after a couple of minutes it simply shuts itself down. I cannot hear the dripping of fuel - so perhaps its a problem with the pump / fuel filter on the unit?

Any suggestions welcome! Also, we did not get a manual with the unit - so if anyone has a manual for a Webasto Airtop 3500 and would be willing to share a copy it would be greatly appreciated (contacted Webasto and they weren't very helpful!).

Jonny

Edit: Forgot to add - as the boat has now been moved from Hamble (where Webasto unit was serviced) to Fleetwood, getting the guy who serviced the unit to look at it isn't really possible.

johnphilip

Visit site
Re: Webasto Heating Problem (sorry more heating qu\'s!)

Sorry --Same question back as always.
Is there enough battery to start it with the heavy drain and auto shut off when voltage drops?

Have you tried it with the engine started to keep the volts up?

FullCircle

Visit site

Jonny,
check the fault codes showing on the control unit.
It flashes a particular sequence when its going wrong. Just count the flashes of the LED green light, and read off from the chart below.
I had a temp sensor go down.

F 00 Control unit failure
F 01 No start-up (after 2 start-up attempts)
F 02 Flame extinguished (at least > 5)
F 03 Undervoltage or overvoltage
F 04 Premature flame detection
F 05 Flame detector interruption or flame detector short-circuit
F 06 Temperature sensor interruption or temperature sensor short-circuit
F 07 Metering pump interruption or metering pump short-circuit
F 08 Fan motor interruption or fan motor short-circuit or incorrect fan motor speed
F 09 Pencil-type glow plug interruption or pencil-type glow plug short-circuit
F 10 Overheating
F 11 Temperature limiter interruption or temperature limiter short-circuit
F 12 Setpoint transmitter (interruption / short-circuit

I found the best people to deal with, both in parts upply speed and telephone help for numpties is:-

http://www.jpcdirect.co.uk/dealers.asp

Apparently, you cant ask such a stupid qustion that they are left speechless. I know this.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The link in the post above is the installation PDF. Here is a link to the Operation PDF.

http://www.techwebasto.com/heater_main/technical_publications_germany/Operation/776247.pdf

PeterGibbs

Visit site

1. Consider whether there's any blockage to the exhaust pipe. Shouldn't be too difficult to remove and examine. Premature shutdown could be caused this way.

2. Or, unit is overheating for other reason and protection circuit is closing it down. Does any pipe feel over hot? Watch it - the exhaust pipe can get pretty hot for casual contact!

3. If thermostat is malfunctioning or is set too low the unit (which I have) will shut down quiickly, of course.

PWG.

Jonny_H

www.freewebs.com

Thanks for the links guys.

My control panel does not appear on any of the instructions - it looks like an older one (cannot find it on the Webasto website) - I have a black box with a thermostat control knob on it (1 - 6 I think) and two LED's (Red and Green) and then a seperate rotary switch which has three settings (Off, Fan Only, Heat & Fan)

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I will certainly have a look at the fault lights this weekend (I assume these will be the LED's on the thermostat unit?)

Still trying to get in touch with the guy who serviced the unit to see if he has any bright ideas!

Thanks

Jonny