Webasto Heater Control Application - Dangerous?

maby

Visit site
Our Webasto was left on permanently on a low thermostat for the last two winters to keep the boat dry and frost free. The Eber on the new boat will also be left on a low setting for the same reason. We left a max/min recording thermometer in the boat with an external sensor as well - outside temperatures touched -5 but the interior never fell below 10.

I did check with our insurer, GJW, and they said that they had no issue with either heaters of dehumidifiers left running.

alt

Visit site
Our Webasto was left on permanently on a low thermostat for the last two winters to keep the boat dry and frost free. The Eber on the new boat will also be left on a low setting for the same reason. We left a max/min recording thermometer in the boat with an external sensor as well - outside temperatures touched -5 but the interior never fell below 10.

I did check with our insurer, GJW, and they said that they had no issue with either heaters of dehumidifiers left running.

Would it not make more sense to run a low wattage oil filled rad? You obviously have shore power as running the Wabbo/Eber all the time would run the battery down eventually.

Would make more sense to me, i'd be paranoid of coking up the diesel heater

maby

Visit site
Would it not make more sense to run a low wattage oil filled rad? You obviously have shore power as running the Wabbo/Eber all the time would run the battery down eventually.

Would make more sense to me, i'd be paranoid of coking up the diesel heater

My main problem with an oil filled radiator is what to do with it when we are sailing - they are fairly large things and I'm not sure where to stow it. The Eber is there anyway, so no space issues. I'm also unsure about the capacity of an oil filled rad to do the job - a 5kw Eber seems to be working quite hard to keep the boat warm in the depths of winter, so would an 800w rad be enough to keep it frost free?

I may give it a try - we have an elderly oil filled rad somewhere in the garage. I can keep an eye on the minimum internal temperature and switch to the Eber if it seems likely to be necessary.

alt

Visit site
My main problem with an oil filled radiator is what to do with it when we are sailing - they are fairly large things and I'm not sure where to stow it.

The 900w mini rads from B&Q are tiny, nothing compared to the big domestic ones. I have a 37ft hull and the 900w had no problem keeping the whole boat (with all doors open obviously) at an acceptable temprature. OK it was no sauna, but warm enough for the dehumidifier to keep doing its job

maby

Visit site
The 900w mini rads from B&Q are tiny, nothing compared to the big domestic ones. I have a 37ft hull and the 900w had no problem keeping the whole boat (with all doors open obviously) at an acceptable temprature. OK it was no sauna, but warm enough for the dehumidifier to keep doing its job

Thanks - I'll have a look at them.

DAKA

Visit site

Agreed Alt, last winter was a frosty one and I texted my 900w heater around lunch time when we decided we were going to the boat. By the time we arrived 2100 ish the whole boat was warm ish, although once sat down it felt cool and obviously needed the 5Kw Webasto (loads of glass in a Princess 360).

As to frost damage maby I have tube heaters on thermostats, one adjacent to the water tank/pump, one in the engine bay.

Keeping a saloon warm isnt going to stop frost damage in the engine bay/Hull bilges.

When it gets seriously frosty I can text my 'boat heating' , if I dont get a response back I know the pontoon electrics are out and I can ask the night watchman to press the trip.

The mobile phone switches are cheap enough, (£20-£25)you could always have two switches running two 900w heaters.

alt

Visit site
As to frost damage maby I have tube heaters on thermostats, one adjacent to the water tank/pump, one in the engine bay.
The guy who had the boat before me installed 3 tube heater in the engine bay on a thermostat... saved me a job! They work great. Also they're mounted properly so during the winter when I want to go for a spin I don't have to put anything away

Keeping a saloon warm isnt going to stop frost damage in the engine bay/Hull bilges.
Yup, something we take for granted but a newbie may overlook

The mobile phone switches are cheap enough, (£20-£25)you could always have two switches running two 900w heaters.
[/quote]
None of that fancy stuff for me, I live 1.25 miles from the boat :)

maby

Visit site
Agreed Alt, last winter was a frosty one and I texted my 900w heater around lunch time when we decided we were going to the boat. By the time we arrived 2100 ish the whole boat was warm ish, although once sat down it felt cool and obviously needed the 5Kw Webasto (loads of glass in a Princess 360).

My Eber is in the engine bay and the hot air ducts run through the cockpit locker - when it's running, there is plenty of heat leakage to keep the engine bay above freezing.

DAKA

Visit site
I wasnt attempting to teach you to suck eggs alt, my post was on a thread regarding wifi heating which to my mind is ridiculous over engineering when £20 mobile phone switch and 900w oil filled rad does the same but better and safer (in conjunction with other frost prevention).

I like the idea of your three independent tube heaters in case one/two fail, I will have a look in my engine bay to see if I have room for another one.

alt

Visit site
I wasnt attempting to teach you to suck eggs alt, my post was on a thread regarding wifi heating which to my mind is ridiculous over engineering when £20 mobile phone switch and 900w oil filled rad does the same but better and safer (in conjunction with other frost prevention).

I like the idea of your three independent tube heaters in case one/two fail, I will have a look in my engine bay to see if I have room for another one.

Oh DAKA I know you weren't trying to teach to suck eggs, I wasn't taking offence :) Just made a point of it as you raise a very valid point re. heating the engine bay. I'm sure some people may use heating in the cabin and not think twice about the engine bay "Sure there's a heater in my boat" ... could be a costly mistake for people!

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
You would also have to leave 12v power on which isnt good practice and may cause a problem.

Actually if you follow the usual installation instructions then the heater will have been installed direct to the battery via a fuse. This to ensure any cool down cycle is allowed to run its course if you shut down the heater then close down the low volt circuits in quick succession.