Weather around Methoni

Max K

N/A
Visit site
We, and I suspect several other boats, going by correspondence on the various forums are heading down to the south Peleponisos. Poseidon is showing 5-6 down around Methoni for the next few days. The anchorage there is hardly sheltered and unless you want to turn back, uncomfortable nights ahead seem to be in store. Anyone down there already and can comment?

Max.

charles_reed

Visit site
We, and I suspect several other boats, going by correspondence on the various forums are heading down to the south Peleponisos. Poseidon is showing 5-6 down around Methoni for the next few days. The anchorage there is hardly sheltered and unless you want to turn back, uncomfortable nights ahead seem to be in store. Anyone down there already and can comment?

Max.

Methoni is an extremely well protected anchorage and I've quite frequently sat in there in complete comfort whilst it's been blowing 5-6 NW the other side of the bar.
Not quite as good in a strong SE.
One point - - under the 4" of sand there is thick clayey mud. After a good blow your anchor may work its way into it - recovery then becomes quite a tug-of-war.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Methoni, safe in winds from W to NE, even SW if you're able to tuck in, but it might get a bit rolly. Bigger winds (F7) don't seem to accelerate over the ridge and blast down into the harbour.

Finikounda, safe in winds NW to E. Rolly in westerlies. If you tuck into 3m depth, most winds just blow over the top.

Avoid both harbours in southerly sector winds. But those are very rare during peak summer months, and well predicted.