Weather alternative

Talbot

Visit site
Not wishing to put a damper on anyones enthusiasm for the weekend (including my own) - however it is the end of September and there is an increased chance of bad weather, so do we set up an alternative destination in the event of bad weather (or merely wimping out due to misreading the seaweed)

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Reasonable point Talbot, but please don't anticipate any contingency planning from me !!

As a skipper, I will make a decision on Thursday 22nd, and if CHerbourg is obviously out of the question, will consider other suggestions at the time. This may include Jimi's suggestion to go where the wind takes us on the following weekend. Basically, I will cross this bridge when I get to it, if you know what I mean.

G

Already programmed in ...

Should my little boat not be suitable for weather on day ... then its a Solent jaunt for my two crew - as they hail from other parts of country and shgould get to see the Solent once in their lives ... to see the reality instead of the posts versions on YBW !!
Most likely trip up to Newport or stop overnight Friday Folly ... then Saturday to Yarmouth or Beaulieu .... Sunday laze around Solent and back home for evening cuppa !!

tome

www.google.co.uk
This comes up for discussion every year

No alternatives, Cherbourg Saturday night. You're the skipper so have to take a decision as the time draws near.

On previous trips we've had up to F7 max generally no more than 6. This time it's neap tides so no big seas.

Ignore the harbingers of doom who read forecasts a week ahead, but at the end of the day it's your decision as skipper.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Sorry, I probably didn't explain myself properly the first time. A contingency is obviously an important part of any passage plan, and I will have alternatives once we have set off.

WHen I said don't expect any contingency planning from me, I meant that I won't be organising anything for a number of people - CHerbourg alone is enough.

Tome is right, no alternatives is the best approach. Otherwise, come the day, if there is a choice we end up with some boats going to one destination, and others to the alternative - the whole thing would end up as more of a [--word removed--]'s muddle than it is already.

duncan

Visit site
now now tome - surely the alternatives are simply Cherbourg Sat night - or not...... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

having had to drop out for reasons other than weather, and having had the boat most affected by the conditions, I think I can safely predict that you are more likely to have to motor in a dead calm both ways than have adverse conditions!

G

Lands End .....

That's a pub in Dorset isn't it ???

Blimey - there's no pleasing some people is there !!

b127dcce.gif

thomas1

Visit site
Re: years and years

blimey for a man that spent so many years on the waves how do you know were the pub is, or are you just like the rest of us , !!!! follow yer nose

G

I\'ll have you know ....

I perfected the navigate by pubs on land and sea !!

My father reckoned he could navigate aircraft across UK by pubs !!

Anyway - by nose ??? As I understand it .. people will be able to follow our trail to Cherbourg by the farts ex Curry dinners we may enjoy during crossing !!!

eceeab84.gif

G

Aha ..... the weather gods have answered ....

Winds will be from the east !! So no comfort there me'hearties !!!!

Hey Thomas1 and Conchpearl .... we have a BIG BIG job to do ......
9d931864.gif

graham

Visit site
Re: Aha ..... the weather gods have answered ....

beer and Curry .Ease sheets a following wind is inevitable /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

thomas1

Visit site
Re: Aha ..... the weather gods have answered ....

Hey Nigel what dose big nicky mean when he says there won`t be many behind us, and how do I get from your lovely boat to some ones elses to scrub there deck, L O L hey nigel what do all those numbers mean on big nicks list, is it the arrive past the post numbers before we even start that makes us 25th

G

No idea .... but we\'ll get there !!

We may not be fast, we may not be big ..... but 40 HP of Perkins will ensure we make it .... (having read up more about my engine - I have a feeling it may be more than 40 !!)

Scrub decks .......... stopped making crew do that while ago .... now I just keel-haul 'em !!

Arrival time is based on 3 - 4kts and 70 nm ..... if you look you will see that a number are either already over that way or coming from closer locations ... others have boats that sail in a whisper ....

Who cares - as long as we get there - I hope that engine doesn't have to be on all the time .... would be nice to actually sail !!!!

Other threads that may be of interest