waterproof socks

C

catalac08

Hi
looking at Sealskinz or Porelle Drys waterproof socks - £20 to £30 is quite a lot for a pair of socks, especially if they do not work! Any experience of these and recommendations or otherwise?
thanks

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I think for cruising a good pair of waterproof boots is the answer. Then it doesn't matter if the socks are waterproof. But there are some hi tech socks that 'wick' the sweat away. These are also good.

pikeyrm

Visit site
i have used waterproof socks in my job as a royal marine but never on the boat, i would only advise dinghy sailors to wear them, no matter what they tell you your feet will always sweet in them.
I use normal socks for getting to the boat and have nice warm socks for the boat.
the main issue is, if your feet sweat in your socks the sweat will make them cold when you are not moving around.

Fascadale

Visit site
I had a really comfortable pair of walking boots that leaked.

Bought a pair of "Goretex" socks.

Worked a treat.

I could spend all day on the hill in the rain and still have warm dry feet.

Unfortunately the socks now have holes in them so I have reluctantly purchased a new pair of boots.

pikeyrm

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I could spend all day on the hill in the rain and still have warm dry feet.

[/ QUOTE ]
like i said great if you are in wet conditions but to wear on the boat they are not a good idea.

thedoc

Visit site
I used sealskinz on the 2004 global challenge.An excellent product. Because we were walking about on damp floors below deck in the S ocean I wore two pairs. An outer pair for walking on floors and in boots/dry suit and an inner pair that I never took off (well hardly ever). My feet stayed very dry. In dryer conditions one pair would be fine, though without a drysuit you have to make sure water doesnt go in the top of your boot! I still have them, they appear very robust.

matelot

Visit site
bought a pair of army surplus ones - goretex - and they worked OK on the motorbike. they were cheap - something like £5. in the end bought a decent pair of goretex lined boots which were better.

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
I've used the Sealskinz for several years now; they're great keep my feet warm and dry. On the boat I wear them with a pair of sandals. In the past I’ve had problem with my Achilles tendons, which made wearing boots painful, so I’ve walked in snow with sandals and Sealskinz and my feet have been warm and dry. The only down side I can see (apart from the cost) is that they take long time to dry, the wool lining doesn’t dry quickly.

Tex

Visit site
Try a pair of hiking socks with good moisture management and wicking abilities, such as Bridgedale.