watermouth

Visit site
how far in can you get with a 1.8metre draft? Is it more protected than Combe where such a draft forces me to anchor pretty much outside the harbour entrance?

geepee

Visit site
I'm on 2nd row behind the breakwater and float when tide reaches 7M (1.2M draft) so looks like you need an 8M tide to get inside the breakwater

Very sheltered but NW wind can bring in a bit of a swell

Last edited:

wakeup

Visit site
I'm on 2nd row behind the breakwater and float when tide reaches 7M (1.2M draft) so looks like you need an 8M tide to get inside the breakwater

Does any part of Watermouth stay wet enough for a motor boat with .6m draft?

Visit site

What about the entrance GeePee or is it too congested? Is there any chart of the harbour layout

Allan

Visit site
I draw 1.4m (bilge keels) and dried out completely on the furtherest WYC mooring out. I'm not on the boat at present so don't know what the tide was. I think you would have to anchor in the pool at the entrance. I do that most times I am coming up the channel and it is fine as long as there is not too much north in the wind. I much prefer it to Ilfracombe.
Allan

Last edited:

geepee

Visit site
Google Earth pic shows Harbour; it dries to the outer line (approx) on Springs and the inner line on Neaps

You can anchor in the entrance but not a huge amount of room given swinging circles

There is some info on Watermouth Yacht club website
http://www.watermouthyachtclub.co.uk/

I tried
but Google Earth pic didn't load so here's the url if you want to look at it
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geofp/5122962739/in/photostream/

Last edited:

bluedragon

Visit site
We thought about over-nighting in Watermouth entrance pool a few years back, but the swinging room was limited, and I wasn't too happy about being right in the entrance (vessels coming in after dark). Anyway we upped anchor and went around to Combe Martin instead. Although we only had 1.2m draft, there was no way to get behind the mole at Combe without touching bottom at LW even on neaps as I recall. IMO Watermouth is only viable with twin or lift keels, although people do anchor in the pool supposedly. I'm not quite sure what this achieves vs. the alternatives of Ilfracombe or Combe Martin as if there's any north in the wind or ground swell there's not much more shelter in Watermouth entrance anyway IMO (though others may correct me!).

Visit site
I'm not quite sure what this achieves vs. the alternatives of Ilfracombe or Combe Martin as if there's any north in the wind or ground swell there's not much more shelter in Watermouth entrance anyway IMO (though others may correct me!).

Thats why I'm asking. Ilfracombe is a waste of time for me - I end up anchored right out in the entrance and subject to the same swell I would get if I were half a mile out. So I'm looking for alternatives and Watermouth looks on google earth to be a bit bigger in the pool area than Combe is and potential;ly better sheltered from the west

bluedragon

Visit site
At Combe Martin the anchorage is well off the beach in about 5m and though it's got a bit more shelter than Ilfracombe, it's marginal in my experience, though I still preferred it. So, if you can't dry right out in Watermouth, I don't think there's much to choose between the alternatives.

Tonybarebones has sailed this coast for decades with a deep fin keel. Have a word to get his perspective maybe?

graham

Visit site
Watermouth

Watermouth is one of the few places in that area protected from NE wind/swell. Not much swinging room to stay afloat in but better than Ilfracombe in a stiff NEly.

If you can dry out then go in behind the inner breakwater which covers at HW and is marked with a pole.

Cardiffcruiser

Visit site
When we visited Watermouth earlier in the year as part of a club cruise, Xanadu, a fin keel Seawolf 26, which I believe draws 1.5m was with us. He anchored in the entrance lying to an anchor bow and stern. Other than the need to adjust his warp at low water to keep him off the rocks he seemed to be secure.