Watermakers

ccscott49

Visit site
I'm in the market for a watermaker, I have a pur 80E onboard, which is just not enough output, although it's a fine unit.
I want a 70-80 litre/hr unit, preferably modular, with auto fresh wash. I've been looking at a few, but would like advice, prefer 24volt and of course a reasonable price. I could also buy in the states and have a mate (Hoo), bring it back to UK for me on his boat. So any help is appreciated.
Colin. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A

Anonymous

As we have discussed before, we have a Spectra (US made). 24V is available. The principal feature of a Spectra is very high conversion efficiency - our model is rated to give 60 litres per hour with a current of about 20A at 12V. We actually get closer to 40 but the membrane is pretty old. Do compare efficiencies - we can make all our water from solar.

Stingo

Visit site
How much of a rush are you in?

My new boat is being launch mid-May and I've put in a 220v watermaker that runs off the engine in the same way that an alternator does. There is a magnetic clutch - same as a car air-conditioner switch which drives a twin-belt thingie to the watermaker pump. The theory is that at 1800 rpm (cruising revs) I should be producing 80 litres per hour.

Will be testing it in late May so will be in a position to donate an opinion on smart/dumb purchase then.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
I had a Village Marine Tec Little Wonder 12v unit that worked on a daily basis when on my travels & I was very pleased with it. Circa the mid 90s VMT had a very good reputation among the American cruisers - don't know if this is still the case.

They do modular versions 12/24vdc as well as AC. The LWM400 is a 24vdc modular unit producing 62 litres per hour for 13amps. It doesn't have auto fresh water flush though.

More details here

ean_p

Visit site
Hi Colin
I've details of a DIY unit with list of parts suppliers that I could send you in three weeks or so if interested. can't just yet as in Azerbaijan and out of reach of my saved e-mails......let me know if you want a copy though you may have one as I received it from a fellow forumite some months ago......the name slips me just now!. The unit is very modular and seems high spec and simple enough to assemble ....

regards

Ian P

ccscott49

Visit site
THanks all, will get more info, I do like the spectra system, which is very good, although very expensive, I'll await more details, thanks all so far.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Take care that the watermaker you buy is made from off the shelf components. Some manufacturers (Spectra was one and may still be) use non-standard parts and you are locked into their spares, their inflated prices and their limited distribution.

ccscott49

Visit site
I am a mechanicle engineer, with many years of filed work behind me, not many things daunt me. A simple pump, valves, filters, pressure vessels and thru hulls certainly not! So I would be interested in building my own, as long as I can get the parts needed easily enough I'll DIY it! It would have been much easier in UK, as I know where to get manifolds, pipewrok, piping etc, made and supplied. Si maybe it would be the cheapest and easiest way to go.

Sorry a bit pissed so excuse spelling!!

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a copy HERE. It's a 2.3 Mb Word file so may take a while to download.

[/ QUOTE ]

5 seconds !

[/ QUOTE ]Jeez - that was slow! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
sailroom <span style="color:red">The place to auction your previously loved boatie bits</span>

Allan

Visit site
I've worked with all the parts mentioned and they are all quite robust. The CAT pumps are also easy to rebuild if required, they sell kits of all the parts needed. A customer has just bought a pump direct from CAT for about £450. I've used membrane tubes from KOCH (not the SW units) and they are robust but need to be looked after if not being used. Although I like the simple, manual, design it would not be too difficult to automate some of the proccesses, like the rinsing.
Allan
PS please excuse the spelling, I am sober!