Water Tank Gauge / Sight Tube

jerryat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The simplest solution is to tap the side of the tank and listen for the different sound as you cross the waterline.

Don't do this if you are wearing jewellery - risk of accidental sparks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps! But not on my boat, or on many others I suspect! My tank is tucked way back behind the engine and the only way to reach it would be to empty everything out of the cockpit locker and remove the side access panel to reach it.

Not practical, especially at sea. The clear tube I have can be checked just by removing the front top engine access panel and shining a torch. And it can be done in any sea with the boat at any angle, as the sight tube is on the tank centre-line.

tcm

Visit site
well, how about buying a few bottles of water as emergncy spares, not even looking at the tank, and remembering to fill up a bit more often? I reckon that's even simpler. Obviously you would have to keep the water bottles away from anything that might set them alight.

jollyjacktar

Visit site
I have used a thin length of dowel and poke it down the filler tube, a sort of dip stick, with marks indicating gallons etc. graduated when first filling the tank with known quantities. Another method, if the filler tube has too many bends is to insert a flexable plastic tube or length of rod similarly marked as a dip stick. Pull it out and read the depth indicated by the wetness on the dip stick. No need to drill holes or attach valves etc.

stuey_two

Visit site
Both ends of the sight tube should be connected to the tank, regardless of content, one at the bottom of the tank and one at the top of the tank. This ensures that all evaporated liquid goes out through the tank's vent, prevents any nasties getting into the tank through the sight tube and prevents any risk of leakage into the hull when you heel the boat too far.

A

Anonymous

Mid Service Centre Ltd make a pressure transducer system at a very affordable price serving mainly the narrowboat market (I got their details from the inland waterways section of this forum, I think). I have had one on my water tank since Jan 2005 and I am very happy. We did have a problem but it was my fault for deluging the electronics with water.

This kit does NOT need pumps to make it work

It is a small company and the owner-manager sorted me out, phoning me in Spain and sending bits. Very impressive product and good people to do business with. Phone 0121 354 5552 or email tc[at]msc[dot]tc and speak to Terry. Explain what you want to do, what you have and he will suggest a solution.

If you're calling him, tell him that the guy in Spain is very happy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Huttoft

Visit site
On my water tank there is a sight tube fitted near to the top and bottom of the tank. I'm thinking of dropping a floating highly coloured ball into the tube to make the sight reading a bit easier. Can't think of any problems other than making sure it's not going to get stuck or that it might foul the water. Can anyone think of any other pitfalls?

A

Anonymous

Pitfalls? Tube going milky, getting damaged, ball sticking and hard to read (inaccessible). If you go for the electric option you can put the meter by the galley where it is most useful.

G

[ QUOTE ]
On my water tank there is a sight tube fitted near to the top and bottom of the tank. I'm thinking of dropping a floating highly coloured ball into the tube to make the sight reading a bit easier. Can't think of any problems other than making sure it's not going to get stuck or that it might foul the water. Can anyone think of any other pitfalls?

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of one single ball ... think about a number of much smaller balls like BB shot etc. only thing then is don't overfill or they might end up in tank !

Personally I advocate the ships way of solving this ...

Get card or sheet of plastic - white. Cut card or sheet into long strip that is "gauge" length to fix behind tube. Now mark diagonal stripes across the strip at angle of about 45 degrees ... paint alternate yellow and black or red - anyway two contrast colours easily seen through tube.
Now the trick is that when water is in tube and bewteen you and card - it refracts the image you see and appears to straighten the diagonal lines to near horizontal. Gives a very easy to see line of level. Simple ... and effective, needs no insert or electrics ... been used on ships for donkeys years ....