Water Ingress

www.cobra-seawolf.com
I went out to my boat yesterday. She had sat on her mooring for just six days and to my horror there was about 6 inches of water sloshing around above the cabin sole. I think (hope) this is something to do with the stern gland - it is a volvo one fitted four years ago. How do I re seal it - am off to the boat again this morning.

mikejames

www.hamble.demon.co.uk
The 'burp' technique is to squeeze from both sides of the Volvo seal to make a small gap at the top and when air stops coming out, it is sealed.

But the amount of water you describe is more than I would expect from a Volvo seal in good condition : when my boat was new to me but with an old seal. it was put in the water without the 'burping' of the seal described above, and there were a few pints in the bilge the next day.

With a newer seal about 4 years old it doesnt really leak at all when I forget to 'burp' it. It relies on lip seals which should be pretty good.

I believe that it is recommended that the Volvo shaft seals are replaced every five years.

www.cobra-seawolf.com
I'm only hoping that it is the seal. There has barely ever been a drop in the bilges before and as we spent 10 hours under engine before leaving her on her mooring last weekend my thoughts turned to that being the issue.

If I cant be sure of having worked out what the issue is this morning, I think I'll be leaving her safely on a scrubbing grid at high water ready for someone to charge me an extortionate amount to find and fix the issue.

johnwest

Visit site
From your local Volvo agents buy a tube of their special stern gland grease. Force the nozzel between the shaft and the gland and squeeze some grease into the gland. Rotate the shaft a few times by hand and repeat. Then burp the gland to expel any air that may be in it. Burping needs to be done every time the gland is out of the water. looked after properly you should expect many years of leak / drip free use. Whilst greasing the gland expect some ingress of water.

j

Tranona

Visit site
Very unlikely it is the seal as they do not wear that quickly. Even if you ran dry, you would soon know it as it makes an awful noise. As others have said grease it and burp it to make sure it is OK. The only other potential source of leak in that area is the clamp that holds the seal on the tube.

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
Re: Gland and . . .

Do consider adding a water feed off the exhaust, it eliminates burping completely. Have done that on several boats, no probs even on drying moorings.

Dipper

Visit site
I'm sorry Charlie but I can't resist suggesting that you forgottoputyourfeckinglogin. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

On a more serious note, if it is salt water it can only come from hull damage or a man made hole in your boat so check your seacocks and hoses, log impeller, prop shaft seals and rudder stock exit point. It may end up being something simple such as water syphoning via your toilet hoses.

If it is fresh water (less likely) remember we had some torrential downpours a few days ago. I've once had an apparent leak on my boat which turned out to be the water tank although if this is the case here, you have an enormous tank.

www.cobra-seawolf.com
Thanks for all the advice. I got aboard last night and there was enough wet salty stuff to get me nervous. So as we speak she is sat in a cradle in Portland marina awaiting someone who knows what they are doing to have a look.

At least she'll have been scrubbed so the last few months of the season should be as quick as the first few !