water in oil forum

Andy

Visit site
Today the oil level is the same again (and the water in header tank), so what could be causing water/fuel in the oil sometimes but not others?I am looking at the exhaust set up now so any advice?
Remember- remote raw water pump,no loss of header tank water, no loss of gearbox oil, lift pump is ok. but water or a fluid is sometimes putting an extra pint in the sump for no apparent reason.....
I am on the verge of buying a new engine!!!

Andy

Visit site
Re: bottle it and flog it ..nm

Bill,
I would but i have had several very good 'boat engineers' look at it and it is still a mystery....the actual boat is perfect...on the other hand if i buy a new engine i may have the same problem if it is the exhaust or maybe even sabatage!!!!

Andy

Visit site

it cant be:-
the head gasket cos its been changed twice & i'm not loosing header tank water.
the sea water pump is away from engine via a belt.
the diesel lift pump is ok, i checked it.
the fuel injection pump has been changed.
there does'nt appear to be water running back through exhaust although someone said it could vaccuum when engine cools.
mmmmm

oldharry

Visit site

Do you have a manifold mounted heat exchanger? If so, check whether it has developed a leak allowing sea water to enter that way. Easy enough to block the outlet and pressurise with a hose connected to a water main.

Andy

Visit site

yes i have got a heat exchanger but the only way sea water could end up in the sump is by going via the fresh water i think..and the fresh water level has not moved either up or down . Any thing i may be overlooking would be much appreciated.
Andy

G

Leaking Head Gasket!
Know need to look any further. breached on the liner side.
Regards
Bluebeard

chippie

Visit site
If you are certain that it is not fresh water, then obviously it must be salt. If you are still uncertain as to whether it is fresh water would it be feasible to put a dye in the fresh water system? This could possibly give a means of identification.
If it is possibly a back syphoning of exhaust water is it possible to disconnect the exhaust after a trip thus breaking the possibility of a syphon. I presume you close the raw water intake when moored so this should isolate whether it is happening while at rest or when running. If it is happening whilst running then you have to inspect the components that could allow salt water ingress as already stated by other posters.

If you have already been down these paths I apologise , I must have missed an episode.
Good luck and keep posting.

G

Head might be twisted do to over heating ar some point so the gasket is not bedding down , No matter how many gaskets you throw at it it will still leak.

Have your cylinder head re shot straight that will sort it out and a new gasket.

scottie

Visit site
as we are now at long shots
if you have a elastomufle silencer (looks like a rugby ball) when they are new
the act as a non return valve but as they get older the rubber looses its flex and they leak

is there an oil cooler
do you get any oil in the exhaust
try running the engine and after stoping switch off seacock and disconnect the water pipe to the exhaust bend
you can presurise the fresh water system and check for leaks

G

I'm not sure where this thread started since I've been away in the warmer del sol but the immediate questions are:

What sort of engine.

Is it water or oil? Is the oil emulsified, indicating water. Try draining off the bottom of the sump: that will prove whether it's water or oil.

If not water, and subject to the type of engine, it could be an internal diesel leak, e.g. from the lift pump diaphragm of from internal fuel supply or leak off pipes, if there are any.

If you cannot make your own mind up what is in the oil it would only need a very basic analysis for a few pounds to tell you.

Hope that helps.

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Re: VACUUM VALVE

For vessels with an engine installation at or below the water line a vacuum valve should be installed. The valve prevents siphonage occuring through the sea water intake, resulting in water ingress to the engine.

While the engine is running and the exhaust gases are expelling the water all is fine, when the engine is turned off the water pump stops but without a vacuum breaker valve it is possible for the water (as long as the intake valve remains open) to continue to run slowly by syphon and find its way into the engine.

We have elliminated everything else now I think! apart from as you have said sabotage.

By the way is there a prize for the correct answer?
Lets hope we are getting close at last.
All luck to you
Trevor

G

if you are not losing fresh water out of the cooling system, then it cannot be the head gasket. the only water circulating in the engine is the fresh water so a faulty head gasket would allow fresh water into the sump. as a check, does your cooling system pressurise when warm ie when you carefully remove the pressure cap, is there a hiss of escaping steam? there should be).

it cannot be the diesel fuel since that would not form an emulsion of the sort you described as "baileys". lubricating oil and diesel mix to give a perfectly clear fluid, not a milky one like baileys.

therefore it can only be seawater that is entering the sump. presumably, the route for the seawater is from the seacock, through the remote heat exchanger to the injection point on the manifold and then through the exhaust pipe to the outlet. the only places where it can enter the engine is at the manifold either via the injection system or through the exhaust itself. in either case, you are likely to have seen some rust on the cylinder walls or on the combustion spaces in the heads when you have removed the head. did you?

do yourself a favour and take the exhaust to bits. check that any water trap is installed right way round. check that the injection point at the manifold has not corroded. check that there is not blockage, and check the routing of the pipe( does the pipe rise significantly before dipping down to the outlet?)

are you on a mooring where wavelets / boat wash can occasionally feed back up into the exhaust? do you have a seacock on the exhaust that you are not closing?

one last thought. you havent got a silly installation with the engine under a leaky removable cockpit sole with the air inlet pointing upwards, have you? ie rain getting in

but, on the basis of what you have said, forget the idea of a new engine. you need to find the problem first.

finally, if you want someone to talk it through with, pm me and I'll mail my phone number.