Was this you ?

johnwest

Visit site
QHM Portsmouth has issued a local notice to mariners today warning that
the Ballast Pile light is unreliable.
I understand that it was hit by a yacht, outward bound, and took the yachts
mast off.
I wonder what the yachts insurance claim will say ??

j

Manuel

N/A
Visit site
QHM Portsmouth has issued a local notice to mariners today warning that
the Ballast Pile light is unreliable.
I understand that it was hit by a yacht, outward bound, and took the yachts
mast off.
I wonder what the yachts insurance claim will say ??

j
Dear Sirs, please find attached my claim in respect of damage sustained when I hit the Ballast Pile Light. As you will see from the attached documentation, the QHM acknowledges that the light was 'unreliable' so presumably the underwriters will be able claim against Trinity House?

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
Dear Sirs, please find attached my claim in respect of damage sustained when I hit the Ballast Pile Light. As you will see from the attached documentation, the QHM acknowledges that the light was 'unreliable' so presumably the underwriters will be able claim against Trinity House?
Like the guy who called the CG and reported that the lamp on a buoy marked as "QK Fl" as:

Yes it is, no it isn't, yes it is, no it isn't, yes it is, no it isn't. :D :D :D

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
Dear Claimant

As the QHM has issued a worning about the Ballast Pile Light, you should have known about the problem and therefore not hit it. Your claim is rejected.

Yours faithfully
DAPOM
(Department for Avoiding Paying Out Money)
XYZ Insurance Co

jobbie

Visit site
Saw the boat this morning, looked like a Rival 34. Apparently, hard on the wind when his mast struck the post ripping the the mast and the rigging from the boat. When I saw him it was completly entangled around the post. Looked like the crew were ok though.

Didn't feel right to take a piccie.

chippysmith

www.activedesign.org.uk
Saw the boat this morning, looked like a Rival 34. Apparently, hard on the wind when his mast struck the post ripping the the mast and the rigging from the boat. When I saw him it was completly entangled around the post. Looked like the crew were ok though.

Didn't feel right to take a piccie.

I won't post mine then!! Happened right in front of us, they were motoring, no sails up, looked like they corrected at the last minute to go the "correct" way around and bang. Sad and early end to their day! put my torn genoa into perspective :(

jobbie

Visit site
I won't post mine then!! Happened right in front of us, they were motoring, no sails up, looked like they corrected at the last minute to go the "correct" way around and bang. Sad and early end to their day! put my torn genoa into perspective :(

I was informed that they were actually sailing, amazing how info gets distorted. I saw the boat wrapped around the post as I left the harbour. Certainly put my busted guardwire into perspective as well.

Visit site
No, but i saw it happen

And actually have photo's of it if only I knew how to get them from my phone to the computer! The boat didn't sink, somehow, it managed to get ballast post between it's mast and forestay. Didn't see it contact but watched it recovered. The boat was towed away so can only assume that it had lost its engine and somehow drifted on to the post (as it had no sail out). They disconnected the mast and forestay and left it hanging around Ballast!! The tug Powerful later recovered the mast (which was broken about a third of the way up from the foot).

samwestwood

Visit site
And actually have photo's of it if only I knew how to get them from my phone to the computer! The boat didn't sink, somehow, it managed to get ballast post between it's mast and forestay. Didn't see it contact but watched it recovered. The boat was towed away so can only assume that it had lost its engine and somehow drifted on to the post (as it had no sail out). They disconnected the mast and forestay and left it hanging around Ballast!! The tug Powerful later recovered the mast (which was broken about a third of the way up from the foot).

The engine on the boat was not damaged. However the boat was towed back to his own berth.