Was this Fulmar a bargain

30boat

N/A
Visit site
Hard to say,how much does shipping cost?A new rig will be about 9000€.The engine is original but may have some life left in it.The cost of new sails will vary from loft to loft.

sighmoon

Visit site
With a brand new rig, and shipping to the UK, it stops being a bargain.

Certainly a bargain for someone wanting to keep the boat in the US. A second hand rig from a different type of boat with a knackered hull (hurricane damaged, rotten, etc etc) could be persuaded to fit, and somebody could be sailing their fulmar for less than $10k.

r_h

www.rupertholmes.co.uk
With a brand new rig, and shipping to the UK, it stops being a bargain.

Certainly a bargain for someone wanting to keep the boat in the US. A second hand rig from a different type of boat with a knackered hull (hurricane damaged, rotten, etc etc) could be persuaded to fit, and somebody could be sailing their fulmar for less than $10k.

...and might even make a profit on an eventual sale if long-term cruising plans involved bringing the boat back to the UK. But I agree it's not a boat to buy if making a fast buck is the only motive.

Tranona

Visit site
Was built in the EEA before RCD was even dreamed of, so no problems on that score. VAT and duty would be based on purchase price if the transaction was recent - although HMRC reserve the right to place their own valuation. See the RYA site for further imformation on importing a boat.

Phideaux

Visit site
...and might even make a profit on an eventual sale if long-term cruising plans involved bringing the boat back to the UK. But I agree it's not a boat to buy if making a fast buck is the only motive.

No fast buck intentions, just looking for something like the Fulmar at a reasonable price. I was thinking that with a good hull and existing equipment, having a complete new rig and sails made it comparable or better than those I've seen advertised at £35-40k in the UK. Also the experience of sailing back across the pond sounds rather attractive too :D

The downside would be finding someone trustworthy over there to act as a project manager and arrange for the the boat to be held on the hard and organise riggers and sail loft, as well as any additional necessary work.

All a bit moot now as the boat's sold.

Last edited:

Boo2

Visit site
No fast buck intentions, just looking for something like the Fulmar at a reasonable price. I was thinking that with a good hull and existing equipment, having a complete new rig and sails made it comparable or better than those I've seen advertised at £35-40k in the UK. Also the experience of sailing back across the pond sounds rather attractive too :D

The downside would be finding someone trustworthy over there to act as a project manager and arrange for the the boat to be held on the hard and organise riggers and sail loft, as well as any additional necessary work.

All a bit moot now as the boat's sold.

What happened to that boat you were looking at in Holland, Phideaux ? Did that fall through ?

Boo2

BAtoo

Visit site
Would that be 20% on the $5,000 sale price? Or is there some other way that HMCR calculate VAT and import duty on a 1983 boat brought into the UK?

No import duty only VAT; based on the value "on arrival" in the UK for all boats, so with a very recent purchase price not alot of argument about value. VAT goes on the cost of shipping too....

So for this one £3.5K for boat, if £6.5K to get it here = £2K Vat.

Tranona

Visit site
Nah. Nobody cares in the slightest, although it's a vaguely theoretical possibility. And if you really cared, and it didn't have one, you'd copy the plate from a UK Fulmar - after all there is no obligation to keep a boat as built.

No Fulmar would have a CE "plate" because they were all built before the RCD came in. Anyway, it is not the plate that is evidence it is the declaration from the builder that the boat complies which is part of the handbook that comes with the boat. Plates are often just stickers which disappear after few years - particularly if, like mine they are (were) on the bulkhead in the cockpit right where sunbathers lean.