Want to sail my Yacht down to the Med and leave it there after my 90 days have run out

ritchyp

Visit site
I bought this yacht, a 36 Foot Feeling 1090 with the intention of sailing her down to the Med.
After spending a year getting her ready and getting an ICC and all the other paperwork ready , I am almost ready ready to leave with 2 additional crew. If we hadn't left the EU it would be easy but that ship has sailed (forgive the pun) I am semi retired and have an income that makes owning a boat very challenging and I do almost all maintenance and equipment installations myself.

So I want to head South in August and plan to cruise around the Western part of the Med until my 90 days are up. At this stage I don't want try and stay there permanently doing the Schengen shuffle so Where better to ask for advice on where I might be able leave her until the new year. Somebody suggested Gibralter but Cost may be prohibitive for me. I am currently in a cheapish Marina in the Central Solent and Marina fees go onto the credit card and it is adding up quickly! which is no surprise...

Perhaps next year when i have had the benefit of this trips experience, I may stay longer, will have to see how it goes. For now though, I am looking for advice on possible places to leave her until the new year either afloat or on the hard as she hasn't spent much time out of the water for several years (other than for a weekend for antifouling each year)

I thought I should ask....😏

Tranona

Visit site
First thing, you will struggle to get any meaningful cruising actually in the med within 90 days of leaving in august unless you treat the first part as a delivery trip. Perhaps more importantly you will have missed out arguably the best bit of cruising in western Europe - Spain and Portugal. Maybe consider taking the time to get just to Portugal as not only are there better modestly priced facilities but also the climate is better for winter visits.

Hopefully some of the members with direct experience will be along soon - mine only comes from planning a few years ago and I actually ended up starting from the other end in Greece and rather regret missing the trip down there.

Wansworth

Visit site
First thing, you will struggle to get any meaningful cruising actually in the med within 90 days of leaving in august unless you treat the first part as a delivery trip. Perhaps more importantly you will have missed out arguably the best bit of cruising in western Europe - Spain and Portugal. Maybe consider taking the time to get just to Portugal as not only are there better modestly priced facilities but also the climate is better for winter visits.

Hopefully some of the members with direct experience will be along soon - mine only comes from planning a few years ago and I actually ended up starting from the other end in Greece and rather regret missing the trip down there.
The rias offer good cruising and layup facilities,nearly August your be pushed to do much unless just delivering,September can bring sw winds on the Atlantic Iberiancoast.

RupertW

Visit site
Τake it slowly and enjoy each place for a season to really find out about it. It took us 9 years to get from Croatia to the Gibraltar, via 2 years in different parts of Greece. Boat left in a marina base all year with a delivery trip to a new country/base every year or two and us getting out there as often as we could in between work. We didn’t have any of the Brexit hassles as we left the Med just before but we paid the VAT soonish after buying the boat and were never more than 90/180 anyway.
The main thing though is that nowhere has the same variety of cruising areas, culture and cuisines than the Med and the Spain/Portugal Atlantic coast so why push it unless you have a firm reason for it.

ritchyp

Visit site
Yes, after discussing it with a friend who wants to meet up with us but is not a sailor. Maybe from the mid Solent to the Portuguese Atlantic coast is far enough for a latish trip and treat it as a delivery. Would be good to lay her up until the new year if it's cheap enough. I really want to strip the Hull and Keel right back. Possibly sand blast it and then primer and several coats of decent antifouling as it really needs doing. She's been Powerwashed and scraped and then antifouled many times and I want her nice and smooth below the water line again.

If I leave her in Portugal, I hate the Winter months of January and February, perhaps I can escape those months by going down to work on her and move her around the peninsular in March, ready to go back at the start of Summer.

PlanB

Visit site
You'll need to check that you can work on your own boat (and by the sound of it, live aboard) anywhere you choose.
March may be a bit early to set off down the Atlantic coast.

MAURICE

Visit site
ive been in the Med Atlantic for some 15 years or at least my boat has. im starting to bring her back to UK. I am currently moored at a marina called Povoa de Vazim in Portugal will be staying here for a year. Approx £2300 for the year for a Moody 44 inc. leccy water and wifi you also get a lift out and in with that price. i will be taking her out of the water in October for 6 months. As the others have said you should think about the Spanish Atlantic coast as a starting point and take your time.

Wansworth

Visit site
ive been in the Med Atlantic for some 15 years or at least my boat has. im starting to bring her back to UK. I am currently moored at a marina called Povoa de Vazim in Portugal will be staying here for a year. Approx £2300 for the year for a Moody 44 inc. leccy water and wifi you also get a lift out and in with that price. i will be taking her out of the water in October for 6 months. As the others have said you should think about the Spanish Atlantic coast as a starting point and take your time.
Read report that it can get a bit rolly in the winter?

capnsensible

Visit site
Yes, after discussing it with a friend who wants to meet up with us but is not a sailor. Maybe from the mid Solent to the Portuguese Atlantic coast is far enough for a latish trip and treat it as a delivery. Would be good to lay her up until the new year if it's cheap enough. I really want to strip the Hull and Keel right back. Possibly sand blast it and then primer and several coats of decent antifouling as it really needs doing. She's been Powerwashed and scraped and then antifouled many times and I want her nice and smooth below the water line again.

If I leave her in Portugal, I hate the Winter months of January and February, perhaps I can escape those months by going down to work on her and move her around the peninsular in March, ready to go back at the start of Summer.
A few posters on here rave about Bruce's boatyard in Faro. I've seen it and it looks very good and just what you need. It takes me about 10 to 12 days to get to Gib Straits from UK. Including fuel stops. Others, as posted, like to take longer...

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
A few posters on here rave about Bruce's boatyard in Faro. I've seen it and it looks very good and just what you need. It takes me about 10 to 12 days to get to Gib Straits from UK. Including fuel stops. Others, as posted, like to take longer...

We've been using Nave Pegos (Bruce's) yard for 4-6 weeks every year for the past 17 years. Jan & Feb often shorts weather during the day but dropping to around 6-8 overnight, occasionally lower. A DIY yard and no hull grit blasting allowed, it's in a nature reserve. No problem scraping though and he doesn't even worry about sanding. Faro airport 10 mins away by taxi and supermarkets within a few minutes walk. Quite aa few folks use the yard for dry sailing, just launching for few weeks when time allows.

If you want professional help, Lagos or Portimao would be better bet.

ritchyp

Visit site

Thanks I'll look into that. It would be great to keep her that much further South. Ill have to check prices.

MAURICE mentioned a place I could afford as at present it is £1400 a quarter where I am at present and Toilet/shower facilities are as basic as it gets. No Wifi either.
My only reservation is that Pavoa da Vazim is right in the North of Portugal and would prefer to be further South, near to Lisbon for flying out on Easy Jet

Graham376

Visit site
Thanks I'll look into that. It would be great to keep her that much further South. Ill have to check prices.

MAURICE mentioned a place I could afford as at present it is £1400 a quarter where I am at present and Toilet/shower facilities are as basic as it gets. No Wifi either.
My only reservation is that Pavoa da Vazim is right in the North of Portugal and would prefer to be further South, near to Lisbon for flying out on Easy Jet

We gave up on Wifi here years ago, local unlimited PAYG data sims around €1/day.

ritchyp

Visit site
We've been using Nave Pegos (Bruce's) yard for 4-6 weeks every year for the past 17 years. Jan & Feb often shorts weather during the day but dropping to around 6-8 overnight, occasionally lower. A DIY yard and no hull grit blasting allowed, it's in a nature reserve. No problem scraping though and he doesn't even worry about sanding. Faro airport 10 mins away by taxi and supermarkets within a few minutes walk. Quite aa few folks use the yard for dry sailing, just launching for few weeks when time allows.

If you want professional help, Lagos or Portimao would be better bet.
Thanks Graham,

I emailed them about a hard standing for 6 months but they said no package deals as in 6 months or 12 months like Povoa de Vazim (with tax included in price) in the North. 6 months daily, pro-rata adds up. Its cheaper than where I am now though but it is only 60 miles from where i live. I dont really need to be on the hard for 6 months really but it would be easier. Perhaps I should be looking for a berth until the end of the year and then take her out of the water in the new year to do the maintenance work. So i need to find a berth I can afford. There must be hundreds of places especially on the Southern end of the Atlantic coastline.?

Graham376

Visit site
Thanks Graham,

I emailed them about a hard standing for 6 months but they said no package deals as in 6 months or 12 months like Povoa de Vazim (with tax included in price) in the North. 6 months daily, pro-rata adds up. Its cheaper than where I am now though but it is only 60 miles from where i live. I dont really need to be on the hard for 6 months really but it would be easier. Perhaps I should be looking for a berth until the end of the year and then take her out of the water in the new year to do the maintenance work. So i need to find a berth I can afford. There must be hundreds of places especially on the Southern end of the Atlantic coastline.?

I hear Vilamoura and Albufeira are cheapest winter rates afloat on the Algarve and there's also Ayamonte just over the border into Spain.

We have our own mooring just off Faro in the Ria Formosa and the Ginasio Clube Naval have a couple they sometimes rent out which maybe a cheaper option. HOME Marina here is only for small boats as entrance is under very low railway bridge.

pandos

Visit site
Maybe on the liveaboard forum you might get some info that would help.

On sailing gently YouTube he mentioned a great yard near Algerciras where you can work on the boat and live on board.

FYI I am looking for a place between Almerimar and Barcelona to do something similar. I am buying a boat in in the Med so no delivery for me but My choice of venue will very much come down to price and access from Ireland, ...Aquadulce may be an option..

Tranona

Visit site
If 90 days seems a bit short, get a long stay visa.
They don't seem to be difficult to get for people with enough means to afford a yacht.
They are state specific so of little help to those who want the freedom of cruising the whole coastline. OK if you want to spend the summer on the Atlantic coast of France, but no good if you want to do say France and Spain because the Visa only allows entry from outside the EU.