wanna see this...deepwatermovie

jonic

www.jryachts.com
No it's not crap.

One of he most haunting films I've seen. We watched it in Harbour Lights Ocean Village with a bunch of other sailors. Everyone sat until the final credits had finished, lost in their thoughts, mainly sad ones. It's not an action thriller, but if you have spent time at sea, especially long distance it's well worth seeing.

Merlin29

Visit site
I watched it and though it was a moving and interesting piece of work. It has a lot of original footage of Donald Crowhurst and his family in the lead up to his departure and modern day interviews with his widow and son.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
I haven't seen it yet .... why is it crap and a con?

They haven't romanticised it have they? There was nothing romantic about the story ... the man was a rather pathetic fool who conned quite a number of people before he went and was setting himself up to con the world when he got back till he realised this was not going to work. A very sad and sordid affair. No surprise that he went mad.

Emjaytoo

Us: Kent; Emjaytoo: Holland; Kate: Conyer Creek
www.emjaytoo.net
[ QUOTE ]
the man was a rather pathetic fool who conned quite a number of people before he went

[/ QUOTE ]

Having read the book, which I found very moving towards the end, I don't believe he knowingly conned people before his departure. I think he really believed he could do it. I grant you he was incredibly naive.

I shall certainly be asking Blockbuster to get a copy for rental.

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
I read the book - "A voyage for madmen" by Peter Nichols and it was brilliant. It ended very differently for the 9 men who set off to conquer the last great frontier of yachting.

Never mind the DVD, buy the book (Amazon for less than £3) and you will not be able to put it down.

oleander2

Visit site
Billed as " A movie which will reduce the hardest of hearts to a shipwreck" Daily Telegraph. It is far from it. Rather a documentary obviously put together on a limited budget. If you want entertainment forget it. It is a string of grainy news reel clips from the sixties cut and pasted together interspersed with interviews with family and friends.

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
I'm with you on 'A Race for Madmen' brilliant read.

Actually I felt most sorry for Nigel Tetley, as Nichols said; the Golden Globe cast a 'long shadow' Tetley hung himself a few years later unable to come to terms with life after the Race.

Nick