Waiting for Handicap / Race rating LYS certificate

Refueler

Visit site
Here in Baltic we can register the full International Measurement Handicap system - or the Nordic / Baltic Countries LYS system ... simpler.

Today application was submitted for my 38 racer to be issued LYS Certificate - intention to have a bash at a few of the events this year ... to get up to 'speed' for 2025 and serious stuff ....

Have crew already set up ...

Refueler

Visit site
I’m sure you’ll do well. She looks like she’s no slouch!

I can confirm that .... we knew she was potentially quick - but once we set sail and let her go - she took off like a scalded cat !

This year - first is re-install the self tacker for general sailing..
Then will be learning her foibles ...
Enter a few races - not with any view to place - but I'm sure we'll have a go !! - getting used to how to tack her / balance etc. with the full genny etc.

We've opened up the sail bags and found a better set of sails - main looks unused ... but what is hard to understand is all sails are slightly smaller in dimensions to the sail dimensions she should have. Foresails are about 35cm short on luff - needing pendant to stop halyarde wrap. Main is about 60cms short on luff, 20cms short on foot. The LYS system requires sails measured to establish area - so being slightly smaller should alter handicap in our favour ... I have another Conqubin 38CR figures and they had the full size set .... but she is no longer current list.

Mainsail >
Now : 13.42 x 3.70 Should be : 14.00 x 3.85
Genoa >
Now : 12.95 x 5.9 Should be : 13.3 x 5.9
Self Tacker >
Now : 12.60 x 3.45 Should be : 13.3 x 3.45

I also do not like the heavy laminate used ... they are very heavy sails and awkward to handle ... I may look at replacing later with a lighter but more correct sized set.

The spinnaker is with one of those horrible 'toilet seat' tube affairs ... will wait till weather improves and then get it out of bag - my sail loft is not big enough (12m x 4m) to open it out properly. Most likely get rid of the 'toilet seat + tube' ....

Last edited: