VP2003 Exhaust Elbow torque settings

tim

Visit site
Hi,

I've replaced the exhaust elbow and gasket on my VP2003. After a long run there's slight furring on the outside so I think at running temp there's slight leakage. I didn't over tighten the elbow nuts because I didn't want to shear them off.

I can't see anything in the engine manual about the elbow torque settings. And advice gratefully received.
Thanks,
Tim

earlybird

Visit site
Try retightening now after a bit of running.
FWIIW, the Beta manual, for general application fasteners gives:-
M6, 10-12; M8, 24-28; M10, 49-56; M12, 78-90 Nm

VicS

Visit site
Hi,

I've replaced the exhaust elbow and gasket on my VP2003. After a long run there's slight furring on the outside so I think at running temp there's slight leakage. I didn't over tighten the elbow nuts because I didn't want to shear them off.

I can't see anything in the engine manual about the elbow torque settings. And advice gratefully received.
Thanks,
Tim

In many manuals VP suggest the following where there is no torque specified

M5 6Nm; M6 10 Nm; M8 25Nm; M10 50Nm; M12 80Nm

RIBW

Visit site
In many manuals VP suggest the following where there is no torque specified
...... M8 25Nm......
I've just renewed the gaskets on both my 2003s and looked up the torque because I had the same question.
The version of the Workshop Manual I have gave M8 as 20Nm. However, in practice, I put a lot of effort into cleaning the mating surfaces and then set the wrench for 10Nm to do the criss-cross tightening. I then set 14Nm for a final tightening. Neither joint has shown any sign of a leak.
The manual adds the following caveat "All tightening torques apply to cleaned threads, bolt heads and mating surfaces. Tightening torques stated are for lightly oiled or dry threads."

I erred on the safe side (and cleared out the blind holes) because the depth of screw thread engaging with the engine seemed pretty minimal as highlighted in several historic threads on the subject of 2003 elbow cleaning.
Cheers
Bob

Last edited: