VP QL trim tabs

Pleinmont

Visit site
As I have mentioned before, I do not see the advantage of trimtabs on the Antares 760, but I do have them. Mine are Bennett tabs and are mounted below the original bathing platform although the rams mount on the bathing platform flange. Still work after 20 years! Picture is here 20150317_142118.jpg

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
Plum, I notice you've got a transom transducer mounted on the port side. How's your sonar image look when underway?

Plum

Visit site
Plum, I notice you've got a transom transducer mounted on the port side. How's your sonar image look when underway?
That picture was taken 2 years ago. I no longer have that and have a hull mounted one instead. The transom transducer would never work at all speeds no matter how I adjusted it so I gave up.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Rotates anti-clockwise (when viewed from astern looking forward)
I meant left handed, mine is right handed. So I’d guess the list is prop related.

Yes my 760 also heels over to starboard at speeds over 18knts.
Also prop walks a bit to starboard when you put into forward gear

Mine prop walks to port (doesn’t actually want to go astern), right handed prop. Strange they come with different gearboxes if that’s the issue.

7E031ADA-E683-4588-AFE5-BC1FFE6FB3F4.jpeg

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
I have the early Volvo Penta HS1 gearbox. So yes, you are right, the list is prop related as you would expect the hull to try to rotate, on the same axis, in the opposite direction to the prop. I guess that at lower speeds with more of the hull in the water it is not noticeable.

Remind me, is yours the VP engine? What is your gearbox ratio in forward gear.

Last edited:

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
I have the early Volvo Penta HS1 gearbox. So yes, you are right, the list is prop related as you would expect the hull to try to rotate, on the same axis, in the opposite direction to the prop. I guess that at lower speeds with more of the hull in the water it is not noticeable.

Remind me, is yours the VP engine? What is your gearbox ratio in forward gear.

Yes, TAMD41p. I think the gearbox is 2.43. The boat is 2001 vintage.

bluejasper2

Visit site
Yes, and there was some ‘drippage’ when I took them off. Problem I’ve got replacing them is lack of height under the swim platform for fitting conventional tabs, Lenco tabs need 14” from tab to top of the actuator.
Hi Jamie, I have lenco tabs on bene 9 there is only 6inches from tab base to top of the ram next door neighbour had your boat with the same tabs on no problems.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Hi Jamie, I have lenco tabs on bene 9 there is only 6inches from tab base to top of the ram next door neighbour had your boat with the same tabs on no problems.
Thanks for that. It was the Lenco template I looked at, maybe a different model though. I’ve ordered the Zipwakes now, exactly the same screw pattern as the Volvos ( (y)), but at completely the wrong height ?. Looks like I’ll be turning my transom into a colander:eek:

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Finally managed to install the Zipwakes, the longest part of the job was making good the 26 holes left by the Volvo installation which is why the cable doesn't run through the transom behind the interceptors. Also had to make a new dash to accommodate the control panel, not lit up as there is currently no connection between the control and the interceptors. I’m saving the cabling for another day as I’ve decided to reroute all the cables from the helm instruments to tidy everything up in the electrics box while I’m buggering about in there.

078C9436-015A-45E2-8423-8CF369610362.jpeg

BD2E0CA7-3ED2-4876-B39C-AAAD7B0970D2.jpeg

Pleinmont

Visit site
Looking good - must be pleased with that!

Did that cable gland come with the Zipwakes or bought separately?

I've finished putting my 3-1 transducer on and assuming it works ok I'll need something similar to permanently route the cable through into the lazarette (ideally from underneath the swim platform).
Something very waterproof as wake and swell always runs up behind the boat well above the waterline.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Looking good - must be pleased with that!

Did that cable gland come with the Zipwakes or bought separately?

I've finished putting my 3-1 transducer on and assuming it works ok I'll need something similar to permanently route the cable through into the lazarette (ideally from underneath the swim platform).
Something very waterproof as wake and swell always runs up behind the boat well above the waterline.
It came with the tabs, mine is fitted with one of these Marine Waterproof Scanstrut Cable Gland 9mm-14mm

Tabs all cabled up and working, very happy ?

0C8B6F77-5D25-4C1C-BFCC-3D05054E4C76.jpeg

Pleinmont

Visit site
Awesome, nothing better than electrics that work exactly as they should after installation :)

Thanks for the link (y)

Pleinmont

Visit site
Finally managed to install the Zipwakes, the longest part of the job was making good the 26 holes left by the Volvo installation which is why the cable doesn't run through the transom behind the interceptors. Also had to make a new dash to accommodate the control panel, not lit up as there is currently no connection between the control and the interceptors. I’m saving the cabling for another day as I’ve decided to reroute all the cables from the helm instruments to tidy everything up in the electrics box while I’m buggering about in there.

View attachment 102421

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
Just a thought, when you drilled the hole through for your cable into the hull, is that Scanstrut gland sat in the water all the time or is your antifoul quite high?
It's dry there underway but what about at rest?

Reason I ask is I need to put my transom transducer cable through a waterproof gland on my 760 and was going to drill it higher up through the swimplatform/hull so it's definitely out the water (unless reversing).

I recall you had a transom transducer - where did your cable enter the hull - was it also drilled through both the swim platform and hull?

Cheers

Last edited:

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
Just a thought, when you drilled the hole through for your cable into the hull, is that Scanstrut gland sat in the water all the time or is your antifoul quite high?
It's dry there underway but what about at rest?

Reason I ask is I need to put my transom transducer cable through a waterproof gland on my 760 and was going to drill it higher up through the swimplatform/hull so it's definitely out the water (unless reversing).

I recall you had a transom transducer - where did your cable enter the hull - was it also drilled through both the swim platform and hull?

Cheers
All three through hulls are nominally above the waterline although on the mooring they will be dipping in and out when it’s choppy. I’ve not seen any sign of water ingress from the scanstrut for the transducer and the fittings that came with the Zipwakes are designed to be watertight so fingers crossed all will be good ?

I’ll find out tomorrow, lifting in at 10.30 ??

Pleinmont

Visit site
Many thanks for the quick reply. Reassuring you've not noticed any water getting in even though the fittings are at the waterline.
If she's coming out tomorrow, would you be able to send me a quick pic of where your transducer gland is when it's out the water?
Cheers

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Many thanks for the quick reply. Reassuring you've not noticed any water getting in even though the fittings are at the waterline.
If she's coming out tomorrow, would you be able to send me a quick pic of where your transducer gland is when it's out the water?
Cheers
Going in tomorrow, not coming out! I did have a pic but can’t find it now. I’ll take one tomorrow before launch if I remember.

Pleinmont

Visit site
Thanks for the pic! Much appreciated.
Do the screws for the transducer glands go right through the transom?

I was presuming I would drill and mount mine higher up through the swim platform more in line with the bolt heads to keep it out the water as much as possible.
But that would mean the gland isn't technically sealed to the hull just the outer layer. Don't suspect much water gets in between the platform and the hull though.
Either way should be dry I reckon.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
But that would mean the gland isn't technically sealed to the hull just the outer layer.
That was why I didn’t mount any of the glands through the bathing platform. better to get a proper waterproof seal against the hull. Unless you cut out the bathing platform flange to suit. I didn’t want to do that.